Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs available

New iMacs available (Page 5)
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Just wondering if anyone here can help push me over the edge and order the G5
Well, I went ahead and got a 17" combo drive G5 iMac. Beautiful machine, just what I wanted to replace my G4 iMac.

I too have an external DVD burner so I can do straight disc to disc transfers.

For anyone thinking of getting a G5 iMac, I say DO IT!

All4Sky
Jun 10, 2005, 09:40 PM

Just got around to setting up my 20" G5 2.0ghz! This is probably the best computer I've ever used! No dead pixels, no loud fans (so far, knock on wood). I upgraded the memory to 2gb before turning it on for the first time. Just a great all-around machine!
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 2GB 500GB "Unibody"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 11, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
5 stuck pixels.
It turns out I had more than 5. I noticed them once I checked more closely.

So they swapped my screen. My new screen has one dead green subpixel. However, I no longer have those damn annoying bright pixels when looking at a dark movie.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2005, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
It turns out I had more than 5. I noticed them once I checked more closely.

So they swapped my screen. My new screen has one dead green subpixel. However, I no longer have those damn annoying bright pixels when looking at a dark movie.
Sorry to hear this, dude - I know how long you've waited for rev. B to buy! (just like me) I hope that your new iMac is otherwise performing well, quickly, silently, and efficiently!

iBorg

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 12:40 PM

My new 20-inch arrived yesterday. Sorry, Eug: no stuck pixels. However, I was sure I had a bigger problem when the setup assistant hung up twice when transferring files from my Cube. It would get about 30 percent of the way through the process and then just hang. But it turned out to be the Cube's fault; well, actually, a single file on the Cube that must have been corrupted or something. When I finally decided to try transferring my documents to my FireWire drive and THEN try the setup assistant again, the transfer caused the Cube to crash when it got to that file. Fortunately, it gave me an error message with the name of the file. Deleted the file and all was well. Of course, this was five nerve-wracking hours later!

Tonight will be the end of an era: deactivating software and deauthorizing iTunes on my Cube. It was a trusty little workhorse that served me well for almost five years.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 04:06 PM

Today's Macintouch lists some eye-opening failure rates for the iMac G5s. Because the numbers are based on voluntary polling, you'd expect that they're skewed towards the negative, but still they are impressive: 31% of rev A 20" iMac G5 owners report a failure, while 11% report failures on rev B models. The latter number, while more in line with reasonable expectations, is still high when you consider that they have only been out a couple of months, and many seem to have developed the power supply and/or fan noise problems only after several months of use.

I swear I don't know how to get past my concerns to order one of these things. I really need a new machine, and the iMac is by far the most suitable machine for my needs, and it's beautiful... but not if it's gonna be a reliability headache. The whole concept of "it just works" is sort of undermined if one must spend one's time monitoring fan speeds, component temperatures, and opening up the unit periodically to look for bulging capacititors.

Amazon rebate expires soon... must decide.... argh!

Macintouch article is here: http://www.macintouch.com/#survey.2005.06.22

Forum Links
Forum Rules