Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro display viewability outdoors question

MacBook Pro display viewability outdoors question
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2006, 07:51 PM

I know some of you will be receiving your MacBook Pros very soon. I'm hoping someone can let me know how the display is outdoors, if it's easily viewable on a patio on a sunny day. My Powerbook display washes out almost completely and I'm thinking that the brighter display on the MacBook Pro might work much better in this type of setting, Of course it will then cost me money so maybe I should hope it isn't better than my Powerbooks display!

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2006, 08:07 PM

Um... regardless of how much brighter the MacBook Pro's screen is, on a sunny day the screen will always dim significantly. Unless we develop screens with teh same luminous intensity of the sun, find some shade...
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 12:23 AM

Hey striker100, you can try just a little harder to show some Michigander hospitality. Seems like a legitimate question - I'm pretty sure he know that a screen isn't usable in bright sunlight. If it IS 67 percent brighter, it could be quite workable outside, sun out, under a shade. That right there would be quite cool, as the current powerbook doesn't quite cut that case.

Btw, I'll have my MBP in a couple of days, so I'll be sure to let you know.

SiliconAddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 01:16 AM

Makes me wish someone would come along with a removable display so you could replace it with a transreflective display like they have in Pocket PC devices. When you know you are going to be outside swivel and release, plug in the transreflective, when you are back indoors drop the original screen back in place.
( Last edited by SiliconAddict; Feb 21, 2006 at 01:22 AM. )
[FONT="Arial"]Jonathan
-iPod Photo 60GB
-PowerBook Pro Core Duo 2Ghz/2GB RAM/100GB[/B][/FONT]

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 07:01 AM

The sun is simply really, really bright. Barring some kind of built-in reflective mirror or sunlight-gathering prism, LCDs will never be suitable for outdoor viewing.

Ultimately, we're going to have to wait for LED or OLED displays before we have something bright enough to use in sunlight. I expect that when those are ready for laptops, Apple will be first to adopt them.

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 07:10 AM

I agree with CaptianHaddock, even if you get a desktop LCD display like the Apple Cinema Displays and set them next to a bright window on a sunny day, the brightness is still not adequate to counteract the brightness of the sun. Although if you look at the pictures that Jason O'Grady has posted, you can tell that the LCD is definitely brighter than the previous PowerBook displays.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=102

However, I think for your "sunny day" requirements, you'll be in the same position with or without a MacBook, wait a few years, it can only get better.
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

SiliconAddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
The sun is simply really, really bright.
That is SOOO a The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy type line.
[FONT="Arial"]Jonathan
-iPod Photo 60GB
-PowerBook Pro Core Duo 2Ghz/2GB RAM/100GB[/B][/FONT]

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
That is SOOO a The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy type line.
Haha, I guess it is.

Man, I used to have this old Thinkpad ... you couldn't even see the screen in a room with windows during the day.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 02:38 PM

It's obvious the people who say LCD's can't be used in the sun have never used a PC notebook. Try any Dell or Sony laptop with xbrite coat. Yes it might be gimic-y but I can sit outside under the sun at high-noon and work on detailed graphics perfectly.

I can't even use my %*#(%* latest revision powerbook on the company picknick table...

This is a very valid question, hopefully Apple got displays that actually aren't 2 generations old ;-)

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 02:39 PM

The transflective LCD on my Sony DSC-T1 digital camera is easily viewed in direct sunlight. So I don't think it is that difficult to have a viewable LCD on a laptop. As for what the "transflective" aspect does to image quality, I have no idea.

And since the screen really only has to compete with the light reflected from your surroundings, not the sun itself, I don't think it is so unreasonable to expect that current display tech could offer something reasonably useful. So I think the question regarding whether the new brighter screen makes a noticeable difference is quite valid.

mikochu
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 03:13 PM

One of my old Sony CLIEs had a trans-reflective screen. It looked like "sex" when in sunlight.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

K-Bat
Feb 21, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by thephotodork
...you can tell that the LCD is definitely brighter than the previous PowerBook displays.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=102
Not a valid comparison unless this PowerBook is also brandnew. LCD screens get dimmer and dimmer as they get older.

K-Bat

jeebus
Feb 21, 2006, 08:20 PM

Why don't you just buy a screen shade for your powerbook?

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by K-Bat
Not a valid comparison unless this PowerBook is also brandnew. LCD screens get dimmer and dimmer as they get older.

K-Bat
Although the comparison I pointed out may not be valid in general, this thread is specifically asking about the screen brightness differences between a older PowerBook compared to a new MacBook Pro. With that said, this could effectively show the difference between the LCD that striker100 is currently complaining about and the new LCD that he could get on a MacBook Pro.

I realize that a reflective image (using a flash) is still not the best way to tell the brightness difference between two LCDs, it is still the best we have until someone takes a shot not using a flash or if striker100 can see this new laptop firsthand.

Also, my post concluded by saying that the brightness difference was not necessarily significant enough to produce any major differences under direct sunlight. Although, in dimlit situations, I am certain that MacBook Pro users would be much happer than previous PowerBook users (including the most recent 1.67 15-inch Dual Layer).
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2006, 10:55 PM

I saw the MacBook Pro today at an Apple Store. I don't know about how it would be in sun light but it is a much brighter display than my 1.67GHz Powerbook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules