Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question about this forum and Apple

Question about this forum and Apple
pete
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 01:51 PM

I was just browsing through the list of posts and got one of those overlay messages that usually give you the first few sentences when you let cursor hover over a link. But this time it didn't give me that information. Instead it showed:

[email protected]

When my cursor went over the others post titles, it showed the same thing. I've never seen that before.

Is this forum being monitored by Apple somehow? What is this address and why did it pop up?

Just curious...

Thanks,
Pete

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 02:54 PM

creepy!

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 09:28 PM

Interestingly, it's now gone.....hmmm

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by pete
I was just browsing through the list of posts and got one of those overlay messages that usually give you the first few sentences when you let cursor hover over a link. But this time it didn't give me that information. Instead it showed:

[email protected]

When my cursor went over the others post titles, it showed the same thing. I've never seen that before.

Is this forum being monitored by Apple somehow? What is this address and why did it pop up?

Just curious...

Thanks,
Pete
I don't understand, I'm sure Apple monitors these forums but all they have to do is browse them like everyone else. Why does this email address have anything to do with it?

Sage
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 12:38 AM

Ooh, conspiracy theory time!

This might be better in the Feedback forum though, no?

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I don't understand, I'm sure Apple monitors these forums but all they have to do is browse them like everyone else. Why does this email address have anything to do with it?
I don't know what it has to do with anything, but why was it popping up? It didn't come from nowhere.....

Yes, I'll post it elsewhere. I always default to the powerbook section - it's kind of my 'home' forum.

quilmes
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 11:39 AM

google doesn't have anything at all with that address.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by smellycat
google doesn't have anything at all with that address.

Yeah, I checked that too. The question is why it popped up where it did and what does it have to do with this site, if anything?

Moderators?

quilmes
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 11:52 AM

could be fake.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by smellycat
could be fake.

AAaaaaaaah! I know what it is. It's Apple's discussion forum address - the from address when they send you notices of response to threads you're watching. Very weird how it turned up where it turned up though - it could have been something iffy with my computer. I've been using my gf's pismo while I wait for my macbook replacement and sometimes because it's slow there are weirdnesses if I jump between different windows and apps.

So no larger conspiracy. How sad!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 01:35 PM

AAaaaaaaah! I know what it is. It's Apple's discussion forum address - the from address when they send you notices of response to threads you're watching. Very weird how it turned up where it turned up though - it could have been something iffy with my computer. I've been using my gf's pismo while I wait for my macbook replacement and sometimes because it's slow there are weirdnesses if I jump between different windows and apps.

So no larger conspiracy. How sad!
I must have missed it in another thread... Did you send the MacBook back for replacement because of the screen?

jeebus
May 4, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I'm sure Apple monitors these forums
hahaha i really doubt it.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeebus
I'd be surprised if they didn't. This is free market research; no surveys, no soliciting phone calls... It's also their public reputation, if they don't have a few people on staff for watching this sort of thing, I'd be very surprised.

Hell, it's easier to get support on your broadband from Cox if you post a thread on Broadband Reports than if you were to actually call Cox's support line.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeebus
true enough. Yet I bet at least some employees get curious sometimes.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I must have missed it in another thread... Did you send the MacBook back for replacement because of the screen?

I went back and forth with the decision and then decided that I should give it a try and see if the next one is better. The great thing about amazon is that they actually have a superb return policy and if something is not right, they will accept it back for a refund or replacement. No questions. I decided I deserve better for my money - after all, these are not cheap computers and we should really demand better. The screen was not terrible but it was annoying. I suspect the next one might be the same, but who knows? It's all a gamble. If this is an issue with all MBP displays, I can't understand why there are so few people complaining!

All these glitches and problems are incredibly amateurish for a company that prides itself in good design and high quality products. I wish I could just put Os X on a pc laptop. There are several out there I'd prefer over the MBP. I feel Apple is slipping with the latest couple of crops of laptops - both in terms of design and quality control. It seems to have coincided with the move of manufacturing from Taiwan to China.

Are you happy with your Thinkpad? Did you return your MBP?

Keep your fingers crossed that the next MPB I get will be ok. I need a lot of luck.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 04:22 PM

Are you happy with your Thinkpad? Did you return your MBP?
Yes, I sent back the MBP last week. Totally happy with the Thinkpad, though. It runs super cool, it's comfortable to use, fast, stable, doesn't take up too much space, and I'm starting to like logging in with my fingerprint. Ok so it's not OS X, but I'm a network admin with 95% Windows systems, so running XP is actually more convenient anyway.

I use it as my main system and use Synergy to share the keyboard and mouse with my desktop.

Good luck with your new MBP. I hope they change LCD vendors with the rumored 13.3" because that's what I would consider getting to replace my Powerbook.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 04:59 PM

Looks nice. I'm envious actually of your THinkpad, but I just can't make the switch to Windows again. I tried last year and although I loved the Thinkpad T40 that I was using, I really couldn't stand windows. Didn't have any major problems (except for some wireless issues because of two conflicting wireless drivers - cisco and IBM's), but there were so many little things that annoyed me that I couldn't go on with it.

Anyway, I knew that there might be trouble when I got the MBP so I have myself to blame. The main reason I sold my powerbook and got the new one was for speech recognition. The mac side does not have anything acceptable or equivalent to Naturally Speaking 8 so I need to use windows for that.

I don't get how Apple can mess up with the display. I mean, somebody must have looked at this display before it was decided that it would be used. Even the cheaper PC laptops have better displays. I feel this was not a money saving issue - it was a simple mess-up. Given the problems of the last powerbooks, and the importance of a smooth transition to intel, you'd think that Apple would be careful not to drop the ball this time.

Oh well, it is what it is....

Cheers,

pete

jeebus
May 5, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I'd be surprised if they didn't. This is free market research; no surveys, no soliciting phone calls... It's also their public reputation, if they don't have a few people on staff for watching this sort of thing, I'd be very surprised.

Hell, it's easier to get support on your broadband from Cox if you post a thread on Broadband Reports than if you were to actually call Cox's support line.
There are a LOT of forums. It's possible that they read some but of all the possible Mac forums they could read, and especially given how many categories each one has, why would they read this particular one over all the others?

Forum Links
Forum Rules