Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > can't export dv back to camera

can't export dv back to camera
Magpie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2001, 08:06 PM

Help! I can capture and edit - no problem. But I can't export my finished video back out to the camera. I'm using a G4 and Premiere. I've got the FireWire DV Device Control 1.3 Plug-in so now at least my G4 and my camera (a Sony TRV11) are communicating when I try to export. When I try exporting to tape, the camera is activated by the computer. But I still don't get any image on the camera monitor. Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

jwardell
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 12:24 PM

I'm not sure if that's a premiere issue or not. You have a TRV11 so your camera can input via firewire (some cameras don't!). Perhaps try saving the DV file and opening it with iMovie or Final Cut and outputting to tape from there?

C-Eye
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 03:33 PM

In Premiere's 'Project Settings' make sure under 'General Settings' you have 'QuickTime DV Output' set as the 'Editing Mode'. Click 'Playback Settings from this menu and make sure your 'Video Output Device' and 'Video Output Mode' are set to 'Apple FireWire NTSC' and not 'Desktop Only'

Hope this helps!

G4 punk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 09:14 PM

My suggestion is to just dich premiere all together, and get Final Cut Pro 2, it will kick premiers a**. and at up to 70% faster on a dual set up and 30% on a single processor G4 then v.1.2.5, you will really see a difference.
I mean if your still in imovie mode go ahead and stick with premiere, but if you want your products to start looking profesional, dont hesitate in spending a fiew more bucs for FCP, its well worth it. If your really die hard about premiere though, and if you havent already I would deffinitely suggest that you upgrade to version 6, it tons better then 5.1
A G4, what coulf be
better!!??

petek
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 12:56 PM

I ran into the same problem with iMovie2, Orange Micro FW/USB card and JVC GR-DVF21U camera. Exporting would turn the camera tape drive on, but not put the camera in record mode. I found that if I hit the record button on the camera after the tape started it would record okay. Give it a try.

Magpie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2001, 04:32 PM

OK, I figured out a few answers. I went back to Premiere 5.0 (I had been trying out 6.0 for the heck of it). I went back to Adobe Premiere downloads and got two different updates - "Adobe Premiere 5.1c Update for Mac OS" AND "FireWire DV Device Control 1.3 Plug-in for OS 9, G4, and DV-ready iMacs Firewire". I downloaded them and put them into my Premiere Plug-in file. Another thing to do is: turn on your dv camera with the firewire plugged in (must be switched to vcr, not camera) then open Premiere, then go to Project/Settings/General/Editing Mode then select Quicktime DV Ouput (like the guy he responded earlier in this string said). Before you close out of that window- go to Playback Settings and in the dropdown which says Video Output Device you choose Firewire. Say OK, then it reverts back to the settings window and you press LOAD. Then go to File/Preferences/Scratch Disks Device Control. In the drop down named "Device" you select Firewire DV Device 1.3. It worked for me - good luck to anyone else who had trouble!!!

Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2001, 03:53 PM

Hi.

I think your problem is that the TRV11 doesn't have DV-in enabled (at least the PAL version doesn't). this is the main reason that I went for a TRV20.

In the UK it is possible to buy a widget/dongle that will allow you to re-enable the DV-in. Don't know about in US though.

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules