Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > X men 3

X men 3 (Page 2)
Rumor
May 28, 2006, 03:55 PM

You definately see the relationship between Charles and Eric when Pheonix kills him. Sir Ian did a great job of showing the emotional pain he went through in that instant.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

pugs1230
May 29, 2006, 12:23 AM

I saw it, very cool. In Fact, I loved it !give me more!!!
It was rushed and hurried up to the main 'battle' then it dragged itself out and abruptly stopped,

Also, There is obiously a X-4 comming out, there were many un-concluded things and incidents that pointed twords furhter develpment, like in the end when magneto is playing chess. the directors would not have put that in unless to show intent of a fourth!!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2006, 12:35 AM

There are no plans for a fourth X-Men movie, though there are plans for a Wolverine movie (which I suppose is what the last three X-Men movies were anyway). Bad superhero movies just always like to leave things open-ended. It's like all the cheesy old horror flicks that would have as the closing title, "The End?".
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 01:03 AM

quick question. if jugernaught wasn't a mutant. than why didn't his strength work when he was near the bald kid?

realmeatychunks
May 29, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
quick question. if jugernaught wasn't a mutant. than why didn't his strength work when he was near the bald kid?
He is a mutant in the movie, but he isn't a mutant in the comic universe.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2006, 01:26 AM

In the comics, he was Xavier's stepbrother and his power came from a magic crystal, but in the movie he was just some mutant.
Chuck
___

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:14 AM

Basically, it seems like everything will be a mutant in the movies, regardless of whether they were in the real story.

In X-Men 2, they portrayed Deathstrike (the hot Asian chic Wolverine fought near the end) as being a mutant as well, when she was actually cyborg.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:16 AM

The bald kid could have easily had an effect on magical powers as well I'd say.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 02:41 AM

I have a good reason to avoid this movie…

http://www.dell.com/html/us/xmen/index.html

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 02:48 AM

Well, X-Men 4 has been confirmed...

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives...ms_xmen_4.html
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:59 AM

Well X3 has already made over 100 million this weekend. Looks like it's gonna make mega bucks after all.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
The bald kid could have easily had an effect on magical powers as well I'd say.
No, Leech (who is a deformed green kid in the comics) only affects mutant powers. Making the Juggernaut a mutant is one of the changes that makes complete sense for a movie.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

tthmaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 07:12 AM

I like the past 2 series, and I;m gonna watch this one as well. The trailer and effects just keeps improving, i should say. Impressive!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by tthmaz
I like the past 2 series, and I;m gonna watch this one as well. The trailer and effects just keeps improving, i should say. Impressive!
Every movie has a good trailer. You should at least hope for a minute worth of good footage to go with a deep booming voice out of an hour and a half movie. Plus great special effects mean nothing if the plot sucks. Let us not forget The Core.

Monique
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 10:22 AM

Some of the special effects were really good; but you do not go see those movies for the story or the quality of the script.

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
I didn't expect any of this. I expected much the same as the first two - a healthy dose of average on most of these factors, and when combined with the action you expect from a series finale I was looking at a pretty solid movie.

What I got left me quite disappointed. I suppose if your manly self doesn't like to see "character development" - aka "chick bullshit" - and loves stuff catching on fire and blowing up, then it was a great movie. Me, I think the lame-o "Robert Frost" showdown pretty much summed it up - great potential, but with sad implementation.

greg
It seemed just as solid as the first two. What are doing is attempting to become an internet comic book geek and downplay anything that people think is pretty cool in hopes of tricking people into thinking you're even cooler.

Helmling
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 11:38 AM

That's interesting about there being an X-men 4. If you read the comments carefully, he talks about "these characters" having their story arcs complete. The Hollywood translation is, "Yeah, we intend to milk the franchise for all its worth, but we can dump some expensive actors like Halle Berry and Patrick Stewart...probably Jackman, too." It makes sense from their perspective.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Speaking of characters and actors, has anyone read anything about James Marsden's reaction to this script? I would think that would be a tremendous let-down. Here his character is supposed to be the leader of the X-men, but he gets killed off in the first 15 minutes! That's a slap in the face. Of course, I always said this guy was at a real disadvantage, having to act without his eyes.

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Every movie has a good trailer. You should at least hope for a minute worth of good footage to go with a deep booming voice out of an hour and a half movie. Plus great special effects mean nothing if the plot sucks. Let us not forget The Core.
Fight Club's trailer sucked.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling
SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Speaking of characters and actors, has anyone read anything about James Marsden's reaction to this script? I would think that would be a tremendous let-down. Here his character is supposed to be the leader of the X-men, but he gets killed off in the first 15 minutes! That's a slap in the face.
I imagine that was the reaction of anyone whose name was not Hugh Jackman or Halle Berry. At least he got a somewhat memorable scene, unlike Anna Paquin, who would occasionally get a couple of seconds of screen time to sit there and sulk.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 29, 2006 at 01:55 PM. )
Chuck
___

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 01:19 PM

Speaking of characters and actors, has anyone read anything about James Marsden's reaction to this script? I would think that would be a tremendous let-down.
I don't think it was that big of a surprise or let-down. He did sign-on to do Superman Returns which was scheduled to shoot around the same time as X3. I believe the producers of X3 didn't want to deal with a scheduling conflict so they gave him as little screen time as possible.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by FrankeniMac
It seemed just as solid as the first two. What are doing is attempting to become an internet comic book geek and downplay anything that people think is pretty cool in hopes of tricking people into thinking you're even cooler.
Sigh.

I'm not a comic book geek. I don't read comics. I used to a little when I was a kid, but probably no more than 15-20 comics a year. I don't think I've read a comic book in 10 years, at least.

Almost none of my complaints stem from a "comic-book geek" angle, except for the more obvious changes they made that I felt unneccesary - I understand that film is a far different medium, and stuff needs to be altered. I had the same complaints about the Lord of the Rings series, in which I felt Return of the King was horrendously altered for the worse.

I'm a movie-goer, not a comic-book reader. I like movies, and I watch a fair number of them. In my view, it is entirely possible to make a decent movie without reverting to cheesy one-liners and gimmicky action shots that please teenagers and others who merely want to be mindlessly entertained. I thought the first two had at least achieved a healthy balance that could appeal to everyone. X-Men 3 was disappointing. I notice in your attacks you have not said what exactly was so good about the movie, or answered any of the complaints that I've had. Did you really find the "fire and ice" showdown to be better than mediocre???

Then again, I had low hopes. Brett Ratner came with a pretty low pedigree, in my books. After the Sunset was nothing more than alright. The Rush Hour series is pretty humorous action, but of course not much more than that is expected. Red Dragon was mediocre, if probably better than Hannibal - but other than that, there's not much besides some music videos for, what, Madonna and Mariah maybe? Like I said, I would've been pleasantly surprised had it turned out better.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

euchomai
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 06:03 PM

I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was great. Better than the first one, but the second one is still the best one. I thought they did a better job of actually making a movie this time, the other two were action all the way through. This one actually felt complete. I thought it was the best movie since Batman Begins. Not too many great movies in the last couple of years.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
Sigh.

Then again, I had low hopes. Brett Ratner came with a pretty low pedigree, in my books. After the Sunset was nothing more than alright. The Rush Hour series is pretty humorous action, but of course not much more than that is expected. Red Dragon was mediocre, if probably better than Hannibal - but other than that, there's not much besides some music videos for, what, Madonna and Mariah maybe? Like I said, I would've been pleasantly surprised had it turned out better.

greg
If you are disspointed in story points then blame Matthew Vaughn. He hired Beast and Juggernaut and developed a script before Ratner took the reigns (I believe with something like 6 weeks before shooting began). I was pleasantly surprised that Ratner stayed close to Singer's established universe without Singer's hesitation to show character do things they would in the comics.

This whole trilogy is a list of nice moments and some missed opportunities. For example X2 really had an arc for Bobby Drake that fell by the wayside to push the Phoenix sacrifice in the end. You can see it would have made much more sense to have him save the day (uh ice up the impending water anyone?) since we were following his progression, but then he did nothing after visiting his family, practically dropped out if the movie.

I don't intend to defend Ratner, but really it begins with the story and Vaughn carved out a whopper to try to do justice in one movie.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was great. Better than the first one, but the second one is still the best one. I thought they did a better job of actually making a movie this time, the other two were action all the way through. This one actually felt complete. I thought it was the best movie since Batman Begins. Not too many great movies in the last couple of years.
Ditto. X2 was still the best, but I liked how the end fights weren't the most super dramatic insane special effects thing ever. The fire and ice fight wasn't that spectacular, because it wasn't supposed to be. They were supporting characters. Wolverine was the main dude.... at least in these films anyway.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 29, 2006, 09:39 PM

Just good fun, really enjoyed the movie. Like all 3. Can't wait for DVD for the extras. IMHO, of course.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 09:51 PM

I just saw it.

I think it is most like the Xmen cartoon series but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

The action and fighting was ok but the story was bla. It was completely emotionless.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 12:01 AM

I didn't really read the comics, but I watched the TV show when I was younger. And can you say freaking weak? Actually let's do better than that, WORST MOVIE EVER! They killed Jean, they killed Scott, they killed... and then brought back Prof X... They completely gutted the pheonix story line, and... sigh... just the whole thing was freaking awful. X2 was passable this one was just brutal. The last two were not awful, they were decent, I went in with basic hopes... and was disappointed. These were not characters, these were super powers with for the most part sexy faces. Colossus did NOTHING. Oh wait... he threw Wolverine twice. The whole thing was a mess up.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 12:08 AM

Ya I couldn't believe how many cool characters they killed or removed the powers from.

I mean did anyone even care that scott was dead?

What happened to all the cool characters like nightcrawler? Why did Rogue do absolutely NOTHING in any of the movies and then have her powers removed?

On the plus side Storm was much better in this movie.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 12:53 AM

the actress that played storm was on a news interview and one of the questions was, how did you handle the stunts? her answer: "one time when they were making me spin, i threw up all over the place and some of the people got it on them too"

Brass

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 06:08 AM

As far as the X-Men go, there is nothing worse than X-Men: The Animated Series. That was utter crap. X-Men: Evolution was a huge improvement.

genesisdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 10:18 AM

I did notice that. Wolverine's big "You've got a war out there that you might not come back from, she might not come back..." speech was AWOL. Those were some good lines, too. Weird.
Might be in the extended version DVD release.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 10:42 AM

So why did wolverine kill Miss Gray instead of just stabbing her with one of the cure needles laying all over the place?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2006, 10:49 AM

The cure needles don't have super-healing and would have blown up when they got near her?
Chuck
___

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
So why did wolverine kill Miss Gray instead of just stabbing her with one of the cure needles laying all over the place?
My guess is it would have disintegrated long before getting to her.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 10:52 AM

Being she was a higher class mutant who knows if it would have worked? Not to mention as he walked to her his skin was getting melted off, I doubt the needle would have made it anywhere near her. Kill her you know for sure, no matter how good she looks.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 11:41 AM

OK, I haven't seen it and I don't plan on seeing it so I don't really care if I read spoiler. I may get the DVD though.

What I'm wondering is what other things have you found that allude back to the comic? Just from this thread I've recognized...

1. They did a fastball special. That was one of my favorite moves back in the 80s X-Men comics.
2. Wolverine stabbing Phoenix. IIRC, Wolverine has done this in the comic(not in the original Phoenix Saga). He has also stabbed Phoenix II/Rachael Summers like this.

What else was there?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
My guess is it would have disintegrated long before getting to her.
In that case he should have kept the needle in his pants because everything else in the area disintegrated (including his matching shirt) except them.

I was laughing during the movie because it reminded me of how the hulks pants always grow with him.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 12:18 PM

I knew you'd mention the cloths. Unless you expect them to show him naked you gotta let that go.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 12:21 PM

I knew you'd mention the cloths. Unless you expect them to show him naked you gotta let that go.
Well duh. It was just funny how even his shirt melted away and those pants didn't have a scratch on them not even below the knee.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 12:23 PM

I was laughing during the movie because it reminded me of how the hulks pants always grow with him.

ROFLMFAO!!!!

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 12:59 PM

Well duh.
Duh yourself, You're the one pointing out the obvious.

It was just funny how even his shirt melted away and those pants didn't have a scratch on them not even below the knee.
You must have missed the scene where they used subatomic adamantite nano-fibers to weave Wolverine a special pair of jeans.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 01:10 PM

You must have missed the scene where they used subatomic adamantite nano-fibers to weave Wolverine a special pair of jeans.
Leather pants actually

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 02:05 PM

In that case he should have kept the needle in his pants because everything else in the area disintegrated (including his matching shirt) except them.
That's the Marvel Law of Trouser Conservation. Any unstoppable force that would otherwise tear or disintegrate clothing will have no effect on pants.

What made me snicker was the decision of the Feds to transport all their mutant prisoners in ONE vehicle, so they could more easily be located and freed; and, while Juggernaut and the other prisoners were held in sealed containers, Mystique -- a SHAPE-SHIFTER, hello! -- is held in manacles in a cage with bars.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 02:22 PM

I pointed out the pant thing to my friend too.

By the way did anyone else want to call Worthington Co, Focus on the Family?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
Mystique -- a SHAPE-SHIFTER, hello! -- is held in manacles in a cage with bars.
Ya I was wondering about that also. Not to mention when she turned into the little girl she didn't just slip out of the cuffs she was hanging by.

ghporter
Administrator
May 30, 2006, 08:23 PM

I could almost see a logical reason for the pants-conservation in this one-Jean's power didn't do anything to the stuff Logan was walking on, or even his hair, so it seemed to be focused on her field of vision. Or something like that.

I was kind of startled that Mystique turned out to have dark hair-I expected Rebecca to look more like Rebecca. She looks odd with dark hair.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 30, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I was kind of startled that Mystique turned out to have dark hair-I expected Rebecca to look more like Rebecca. She looks odd with dark hair.
That was another nod to the comics. Raven looked a lot like her old disguise. Other nods: the Storm/Callisto rivalry, Phoenix being trapped in a cocoon under the lake, the gun that neutralizes mutant powers (used on Storm way back when), and the extent of Leech's powers.

My major disappointment (besides the lack of any New Mutants) was Colossus not having a Russian accent. It's bad enough my favorite X-Man had very little to do, but he's hardly Piotr without an accent. OTOH, I got a chuckle out of the idea that Beast is older than Wolverine.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 09:10 PM

quick question about wolverine. since he has ever healing powers, does that mean that he doesnt age? also, if he can regenerate any organ he wants to, how can one kill him?

Brass

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 09:29 PM

quick question about wolverine. since he has ever healing powers, does that mean that he doesnt age? also, if he can regenerate any organ he wants to, how can one kill him?

Brass
He ages but he ages really, really slowly. In the comic he's supposed to be over 100 years old.

Killing him is a funny subject. It is said that he can't regenerate whole limbs. But in alternate versions of him, he has been literally torn in half but was able to put himself back together. I guess you could nuke him or disintegrate him to kill him since there wouldn't be anything left to regenerate.
( Last edited by MallyMal; May 30, 2006 at 09:36 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2006, 09:42 PM

He doesn't age normally at least. He's more than 100 years old, if I recall.

And he's supposed to be almost unkillable. He has superhuman healing abilities and an unbreakable skeleton. But if you cause enough damage at once, he'd theoretically die. Magneto almost killed him when he ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine's body.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules