Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone try City of Villains or City of Heroes in Parallels or Bootcamp?

Anyone try City of Villains or City of Heroes in Parallels or Bootcamp?
waterbuck
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 04:34 PM

Hi-
Friends of mine (Windows folks) play City of Villains regularly. They find it less demanding than WoW. I would like to join them. We have an Intel 2.0 GHz iMac running Parallels for some programs.

Is it pretty much essential to create a bootcamp partition to boot into XP for an online game like this?

Has anyone tried this game (or its cousin City of Heroes) either in Parallels or in Bootcamp?

Thanks
waterbuck
G4 1.67 MHz 15" AlBook Rev D

paulinbognor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 05:57 PM

I used to play CoH and CoV as well as Planetside on PC and I'm currently waiting for my Mac Pro to be built so I'd be interested in the answer to this question

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2006, 06:37 PM

Parallels didn't have 3d support last I checked (although it was being worked on), but City of Heroes/City of Villains should work just fine via Boot Camp.

paulinbognor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 07:33 AM

A sort of connected question If I use Boot Camp ONLY for running games (no internet browsing - no e-mails) then can I GET AWAY without anti-virus software?

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2006, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't risk it, minimally using Windows Defender (free) and something like the CA Anti-Virus (One year free trial) and of course having the various network services in Windows disabled or firewalled. You may well be fine without this, but I doubt anyone would suggest it as a good idea.

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 04:35 PM

I play all my PC games on my iMac using boot camp including City of Heroes/Villains. At full screen res (1920x1200), I get 30-60 frames per second depending on the area. I have some stuff turned down (depth of field) but that's because I don't like it.

I also have WOW installed on the Windows side because I'm getting less stutter and 45 fps compared to 30 fps when it's installed natively on the Mac side.

My 2ยข
Albert Deschesne
Unibody 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, 9600M GT, 2 Gig Ram | OS X | WindowsXP (Games Only)
8 gig iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules