Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Intellectual Property Protection Act of 2007

Intellectual Property Protection Act of 2007
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:41 PM

So in what new way does this bend me over?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 01:44 PM

In multifarious ways, Dak.

Wow. I read about this new act, but not all of this, wow. . . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Rumor  (op)
May 15, 2007, 01:46 PM

Up to ten years in prison for attempted IP infringement.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
In multifarious ways, Dak.

Wow. I read about this new act, but not all of this, wow. . . .
I appreciate the use of the word multifarious. I'd appreciate it if you don't call me Dak, though. It grates me for some reason.

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Up to ten years in prison for attempted IP infringement.
What exactly is attempted IP infringement?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I appreciate the use of the word multifarious. I'd appreciate it if you don't call me Dak, though. It grates me for some reason.
And you'll get banned if you ever call him Dak again.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 15, 2007, 01:53 PM

I don't even want to go there...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 01:56 PM

it's comical that Gonzales wants Homeland Security to be a tool of the Hollywood cartels.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 03:36 PM

This is what bothers me:

The Fraudulent Online Identity Sanctions Act presumes that anyone who has tried to protect his or her privacy by faking the WHOIS info in a domain name registration is willfully infringing copyright or trademark. (see letter from ACLU, ALA, CDT, EFF, and PK)
Since I actually received a threat once from a certain MacNN forum member to show up at my out-of-date WHOIS address and "kick my ass", I'd really not appreciate being required to make that address correct.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 15, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
This is what bothers me:

Since I actually received a threat once from a certain MacNN forum member to show up at my out-of-date WHOIS address and "kick my ass", I'd really not appreciate being required to make that address correct.
Ha...looks like you are (or were) about 4 hours away from me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 03:44 PM

Lame. Very lame. I was just remarking to my brother the other day that we will likely look back on this period of time and remember it as the end of when the Internet was still mostly free. Governments won't indefinitely tolerate liberating technology that empowers the masses.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Ha...looks like you are (or were) about 4 hours away from me.
I once thought of changing that address to the address of La Guardia Airport in New York or something. At least that way, if some idiot from MacNN decided to charge in there with weapons, the rest of us would get to find out whether Guantanimo has Internet access or not.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2007, 06:53 PM

I am stunned to see that this thread has garnered so little attention. This is major news, guys.

Rumor  (op)
May 16, 2007, 07:31 PM

I am stunned to see that this thread has garnered so little attention. This is major news, guys.
Same here. Maybe...

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 07:57 PM

No one explained what attempted IP infringement is.

Railroader
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:09 PM

Now this discussion just got interesting!

EDIT: I think we all just got a little sign that dakar is gay.

Rumor  (op)
May 16, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
No one explained what attempted IP infringement is.
I put up several links, but the all seem a bit dodgy on what it is.

Criminalize "attempting" to infringe copyright. Federal law currently punishes not-for-profit copyright infringement with between 1 and 10 years in prison, but there has to be actual infringement that takes place. The IPPA would eliminate that requirement. (The Justice Department's summary of the legislation says: "It is a general tenet of the criminal law that those who attempt to commit a crime but do not complete it are as morally culpable as those who succeed in doing so.")
Basically, if you begin to d/l something, via torrent for example, then decide to stop the d/l, that is Attempted IP infringment.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2007, 09:05 PM

That's great.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Basically, if you begin to d/l something, via torrent for example, then decide to stop the d/l, that is Attempted IP infringment.
What, they didn't have enough people to sue already?

Man, they really don't even want you to think about it.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
EDIT: I think we all just got a little sign that dakar is gay.
God dammit!
Well... I'm in the Maxim thread, along with my testes.

Testes, testes...
one...
two...

five...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:29 AM

If this or any similar act ever passes, it will force the tech savvy to start encrypting everything, and it will be a real boon for those who sell private domain name registration services.

Cipher13
May 17, 2007, 12:47 AM

That is, until the act of encrypting something allows the government to assume you're trying to hide something and punish you regardless.

Every time I see something like this happen, I'm incredulous. A storm is coming...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
That is, until the act of encrypting something allows the government to assume you're trying to hide something and punish you regardless.

Every time I see something like this happen, I'm incredulous. A storm is coming...
Yeah, I thought about that, and if this legislation goes through there's nothing to stop an anti-encryption bill from coming as well. Then we' d see nerds self-immolating.

Why is it that the House and Senate both have a plethora of committees devoted to various subjects but not one devoted to vetting the constitutionality of proposed legislation and regulations?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 10:49 AM

This is a lot of stuff that I don't feel like taking the time to understand. I just like the headline from Engadget.
DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK DAK

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 10:55 AM

Okay, I lied. I've been reading.

* Create a new crime of life imprisonment for using pirated software. Anyone using counterfeit products who "recklessly causes or attempts to cause death" can be imprisoned for life. During a conference call, Justice Department officials gave the example of a hospital using pirated software instead of paying for it.
Huh? Someone help me out here. They're causing death by using pirated software? How is a hospital going to risk someone's life by using pirated software?

Listen, I'm a huge advocate of free market principles, but I say leave this crap alone until software publishers stop selling their software for hundreds of dollars more than what it's worth, especially when they pretty much operate a monopoly (such as Photoshop). If this stuff actually works, does that mean the GIMP and Open Office might see a rise in the coming years? I can't begin to tell you how many people I know using pirated copies of Photoshop and MS Office.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Huh? Someone help me out here. They're causing death by using pirated software? How is a hospital going to risk someone's life by using pirated software?
The computer controlling the Catscan machine is using a pirated copy of XP, and during a scan Windows Genuine Advantage™ lets you know your copy is pirated and simultaneously causes the machine to malfunction, attracting all metal objects within a two mile radius and forming a black hole that engulfs the entire earth.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 11:06 AM

The computer controlling the Catscan machine is using a pirated copy of XP, and during a scan Windows Genuine Advantage™ lets you know your copy is pirated and simultaneously causes the machine to malfunction, attracting all metal objects within a two mile radius and forming a black hole that engulfs the entire earth.
Well, that doesn't sound so bad.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 11:27 AM

I don't see what the big deal is.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I say leave this crap alone until software publishers stop selling their software for hundreds of dollars more than what it's worth
Furthermore, they can all go jump until such a time that the user buys the software rather than a licence to use it. Doof doesn't rent, Doof owns.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cipher13
May 17, 2007, 01:02 PM

I don't see what the big deal is.
Then you're the biggest part of the problem.

forkies
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 01:35 PM

are we still undecided about what it is? could it be like, if i search in a p2p program for some IP files, the files end up to be junk, but because i attempted to violate ip i am in the wrong

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Rumor  (op)
May 17, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by forkies View Post
are we still undecided about what it is? could it be like, if i search in a p2p program for some IP files, the files end up to be junk, but because i attempted to violate ip i am in the wrong
That sounds about right.

andi*pandi
May 17, 2007, 02:00 PM

that sounds like the pre-crime division of Minority Report.

and evil.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 02:05 PM

Then you're the biggest part of the problem.
You realize I was referencing only the post above me, right?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 02:08 PM

Silence cur!

Cipher13
May 17, 2007, 02:24 PM

You realize I was referencing only the post above me, right?
No. When one doesn't quote a specific post it is implied that their response is generalised to the current topic of discussion or the thread in general.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 02:27 PM

No. When one doesn't quote a specific post it is implied that their response is generalised to the current topic of discussion or the thread in general.
Judging from this thread, half the people subscribe to this belief, and half don't.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by forkies View Post
More like you downloaded a p2p app. You watch.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

tutelary
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 04:35 PM

If this or any similar act ever passes, it will force the tech savvy to start encrypting everything, and it will be a real boon for those who sell private domain name registration services.
and the goverment can crack any encryption out there. I mean really, whats the point?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Furthermore, they can all go jump until such a time that the user buys the software rather than a licence to use it. Doof doesn't rent, Doof owns.
Seconded.

*sprinkles approval throughout Doof's post*

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by tutelary View Post
and the goverment can crack any encryption out there. I mean really, whats the point?
The government, in general, does not have a magical ability to decrypt all encryption. The NSA can, up to an extent, but it still takes resources to do so. If most people started encrypting most everything, the government wouldn't be able to brute force decrypt all that data.

Cipher13
May 18, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by tutelary View Post
Security through obscurity is your friend (along with other precautions, mind you).

Forum Links
Forum Rules