Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US way behind regarding broadband speeds

US way behind regarding broadband speeds
Rumor
Jun 26, 2007, 02:00 PM

U.S. Net access not all that speedy - USATODAY.com

The median U.S. download speed now is 1.97 megabits per second — a fraction of the 61 megabits per second enjoyed by consumers in Japan, says the report released Monday. Other speedy countries include South Korea (median 45 megabits), France (17 megabits) and Canada (7 megabits).
Why can't we enjoy real broadband speeds? I pay $50 a month for a 6mb down DSL line which is rarely above 4mb down. I'll post more later, I have to go to lunch.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 02:06 PM

That's because we need tiered internet access.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 02:15 PM

I think it's the same BS associated with Cell phones in the US - corporations/government control (your pick)
Consumers are the ones who suffer.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 02:16 PM

I'd like to know what price the other countries are averaging for those access speeds.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 02:22 PM

You know, it's true that during the dial-up days we always wanted it to be faster, but nowadays? I don't really think I need anything faster than 3 Mbps or so. Maybe if I were downloading movies all the time, I'd care, but as it is, our current speeds don't bother me too much.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'd like to know what price the other countries are averaging for those access speeds.
South Korea gets 100Mbit lines (up and down) for $15/month.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 02:36 PM

The providers have a captive market. If you live in X city, you have a choice of X provider, so you make the choice of whether or not to have service, not which provider you want. When I moved earlier this year, I had no choice but to get Comcast, so I signed up. It was a snafu from day one. The only place I could go, once my iMac was hooked up, was to a Comcast sign-up page, but it wouldn't let me complete my account sign-up. The "technician" who hooked up the cable didn't know squat about Macs and told me that it was my iMac, and that his equipment was working fine. If I didn't sign the papers indicating that he had done the installation, he would unhook the cable modem and take it with him, as well as unhook the cable from the pole out back. So I signed, with a statement that the job was not done! He left, and then I called Comcast and left a voice mail on a supervisor's phone, indicating I was very upset at the service, and that it was their problem, and not my machine. Ten minutes later, another guy shows up, tells me that if I want him to hook my machine up, I'll have to pay another $60 for a "professional" install. I reluctantly agree, and he can't get me hooked up either! He makes some phone calls, and the problem is indeed on their end; the sign-up site won't let my machine get past it, but it is connected to the web. After about 20 more minutes of back and forth on the phone, the log jam is suddenly broken, I complete my sign-up, and everybody's happy. They didn't charge the extra fee, which I wouldn't have paid anyway. After a couple of days, the service simply stops working, intermittently, so I get a hold of them, and they give me all these instructions on clearing cache, trying different browsers, etc. Having sold Macs for a long time, including working for Apple directly at one point, I already knew this wasn't the answer, and tell them so. Things go along in this frequently dropping connection state for almost a week, and then it suddenly clears up, and has worked fine ever since, although it's not as fast a connection as when I had Time Warner/Bright House.

These companies have no incentive to upgrade anything, because they know that we have no choice.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 02:49 PM

We pay about $40 a month for a 10mbps line through BrightHouse. My download speed caps out at around 1.3 megabytes per second. BrightHouse will not let me upgrade to the 15mbp line unless I sign up for their telephone line.

I think the general population would be happy with a 5mbps line. ~500kps download speeds is more than enough for the general user.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You know, it's true that during the dial-up days we always wanted it to be faster, but nowadays? I don't really think I need anything faster than 3 Mbps or so. Maybe if I were downloading movies all the time, I'd care, but as it is, our current speeds don't bother me too much.
That's a fairly limited way of looking at it. Sure, current speeds are sufficient for current uses, but by increasing the average connection speed we're opening the door for new innovations that we haven't seen yet. Maybe we will all start downloading video in the future, when it becomes easier and cheaper to download the movies than to rent the DVDs from NetFlix.

Who knows what other cool things people will come up with.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 03:03 PM

Maybe Japanese broadband prices have come down since I last checked (probably so, but I'll be surprised if it's that much), but I thought it cost like eleventy billion dollars to get anything better than a modem over there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 03:06 PM

Still on 512/256 here...

...and still in the wild and whacky world of no limits other than bandwidth. No fair usage agreement, no bandwidth per month limits other than the line speed... ...and I like it that way.

Low speed broadband is manageable if you schedule things properly - if you never turn your computers off then you probably don't need high speed... ...everything can download while you sleep.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
South Korea gets 100Mbit lines (up and down) for $15/month.
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Maybe Japanese broadband prices have come down since I last checked (probably so, but I'll be surprised if it's that much), but I thought it cost like eleventy billion dollars to get anything better than a modem over there.
Thanks.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
These companies have no incentive to upgrade anything, because they know that we have no choice.
I would agree with that statement. Many households in the US don't have the option to choose a different service provider. For awhile I too only had the option of cable internet access until DSL finally was available. I was a much happier customer once I switched over to DSL. In some parts of the US broadband isn't available at all.

The lack of competition is one factor in all of this but correct me if I'm wrong the US also has a smaller percentage of broadband users compared to other countries. For whatever reason the demand for faster internet service isn't very high here so the lack or competition for ISP is understandable...of course not appreciated though. We need more Americans to sign up for broadband to give the ISP incentive to upgrade and compete with each other.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 03:11 PM

I think one also needs to consider the shear size of the United States as well. From both a geographic perspective (4th largest in the world) and population wise (3rd largest in the world). I can only imagine that plays a role in how quickly companies can implement new technologies (and make a profit).

Rumor  (op)
Jun 26, 2007, 03:12 PM

Another gripe I have is why is the upload speed so nerfed compared to the download speed? Why can't is just be the same both ways? If the speeds were match, wouldn't the overall experience be better since infomation could flow freely and quickly in either direction?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Another gripe I have is why is the upload speed so nerfed compared to the download speed? Why can't is just be the same both ways? If the speeds were match, wouldn't the overall experience be better since infomation could flow freely and quickly in either direction?
Companies don't want you trading content with your friends - they want you buying content from them.

Rumor  (op)
Jun 26, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Companies don't want you trading content with your friends - they want you buying content from them.
Exactly. My only other option for quick delivery is to mail you the 20k+ boobie pictures from the various festivals I've gone to. It's not right that I can't just upload them to you quickly.

Rumor  (op)
Jun 26, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I would agree with that statement. Many households in the US don't have the option to choose a different service provider. For awhile I too only had the option of cable internet access until DSL finally was available. I was a much happier customer once I switched over to DSL. In some parts of the US broadband isn't available at all.

The lack of competition is one factor in all of this but correct me if I'm wrong the US also has a smaller percentage of broadband users compared to other countries. For whatever reason the demand for faster internet service isn't very high here so the lack or competition for ISP is understandable...of course not appreciated though. We need more Americans to sign up for broadband to give the ISP incentive to upgrade and compete with each other.
I think the reason that many do not choose to get broadband is due to the price and lack of competition, not to mention availability in some areas.

If there were faster speeds available for a reasonable price, I bet you would see the growth of broadband homes explode.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 03:25 PM

I think the reason that many do not choose to get broadband is due to the price and lack of competition, not to mention availability in some areas.

If there were faster speeds available for a reasonable price, I bet you would see the growth of broadband homes explode.
I hate cable because you can't have more than 2 people playing a low-latency game at once (ping times get horrible) and I hate DSL because they force you to buy a voice plan to get the data plan, even though it doesn't need the voice plan.

Since I play games quite often, I'm forced to buy DSL and a phone line that does nothing but get FAX machines all day because the number used to be a computer repair business.

Of course, those are my only two options. AT&T or... AT&T.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 03:28 PM

Yeah, over here its get Cable with cable service or DSL with phone service.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 03:30 PM

In addition to the filesharing argument, this setup also allows them to give people more downstream bandwidth without having to invest in a bigger pipeline. By limiting the upstream, they're freeing up more capacity at the routers which they can then distribute as added downstream.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 03:34 PM

Since I play games quite often, I'm forced to buy DSL and a phone line that does nothing but get FAX machines all day because the number used to be a computer repair business.
Yeah, I've got a similar situation - I keep getting calls for some guy named Jim (or occasionally, his wife Peggy). After about a year of telling people they've got the wrong number, I'm about ready to start telling them that he's unavailable because he moved to Sri Lanka as a missionary to spread the word of Scientology.

Maybe that will get Jim, whoever he is, to start getting his friends to update their freaking address books.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 03:46 PM

I think part of the problem is (at least here in the States) is that you can't buy broadband by itself and it's almost always provided by only one company. You have to buy the whole package just to get internet, even if you don't want/need the whole package.

Pisses me off. My DSL should only be $30/month as advertised, not the $55 I'm paying now because I have to get the basic line (which includes a bunch of "taxes" and "fees" for the voice line)

Rumor  (op)
Jun 26, 2007, 03:53 PM

I hate cable because you can't have more than 2 people playing a low-latency game at once (ping times get horrible) and I hate DSL because they force you to buy a voice plan to get the data plan, even though it doesn't need the voice plan.

Of course, those are my only two options. AT&T or... AT&T.

Edit: My DSL is $34.99.
I have DSL and I have to have a landline with it, which I never use since I have a cell.

Monthly Service - Jun 17 thru Jul 16

1-01 Residence Flat Rate Serv 10.69
Line Sharing Basis
1-02 Caller ID Selective Blocking .00
1-03 900/976 Blocking .00

Total Monthly Service 10.69

Surcharges and Other Fees

1-04 Federal Subscriber Line Charge 4.75
1-05 Rate Surcharge .30
1-06 State Regulatory Fee .01
1-07 Federal Universal Service Fee .55

Total Surcharges and Other Fees 5.61

Government Fees and Taxes

1-08 CA High Cost Fund Surcharge - A: .02
1-09 CA High Cost Fund Surcharge - B: .14
1-10 California Teleconnect Fund Surcharge .01
1-11 Universal Lifeline Telephone Service Surcharge .13
1-12 CA Relay Service and Communications Devices Fund .04
1-13 9-1-1 Emergency System .06
1-14 Federal .50

Total Government Fees and Taxes .90

Total Plans and Services 17.20

Almost $20 a month I'm pissing away for a landline I don't use.

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Yeah, over here its get Cable with cable service or DSL with phone service.
Comcast recently bought out Adelphia, which was our local cable provider. So I thought I'd take a look a the new offers and found out that they offered an 8mb/sec line for $43.00 a month for the first six months. I thought to myself, "Wow, that's pretty good.", but wait, when I go to check out, it's $66.95 a month because I don't have cable TV service from them. To top it off, because of the lack of TV service, I can't self install (my house has everything for cable and Adelphia used to have a free self-install option that Comcast charges $10 for), so I have to spend $99 for a "Professional" installation. What kind of **** is that?

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
In addition to the filesharing argument, this setup also allows them to give people more downstream bandwidth without having to invest in a bigger pipeline. By limiting the upstream, they're freeing up more capacity at the routers which they can then distribute as added downstream.
Which is a load. People will file share on 56k, I know this because I have friends that can only get 56k and still fileshare. Ultimately, I wish they would just upgrade the damn tubes, they are too small.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 03:54 PM

Pisses me off. My DSL should only be $30/month as advertised, not the $55 I'm paying now because I have to get the basic line (which includes a bunch of "taxes" and "fees" for the voice line)
You think that's bad, have a look at the prices Comcast expects you to pay for a cable TV line just so you can get Internet through them.

edit: beaten by Rumor!

Rumor  (op)
Jun 26, 2007, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I've got a similar situation - I keep getting calls for some guy named Jim (or occasionally, his wife Peggy). After about a year of telling people they've got the wrong number, I'm about ready to start telling them that he's unavailable because he moved to Sri Lanka as a missionary to spread the word of Scientology.

Maybe that will get Jim, whoever he is, to start getting his friends to update their freaking address books.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 03:56 PM

Which is a load. People will file share on 56k, I know this because I have friends that can only get 56k and still fileshare. Ultimately, I wish they would just upgrade the damn tubes, they are too small.
I remember I used to like doing torrents on 56k because it didn't matter if the connection was dropped. So I just used to connect right before I went to bed and let it run for 8-10 hours at a time.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 04:06 PM

See if you still feel that way a few years from now when the cable and telephone companies replace everyone's cable television with IPTV.

Granted, the cable and telephone companies will have to give everyone more bandwidth when that happens, but that will mean rate increases for everyone, and I fear that they won't offer enough bandwidth, leading to problems worse than what we have now with digital cable.

What we need is the FCC to force the telephone and cable companies to lease their lines to competitors at reasonable rates. The competition between your local cable company and your local phone company for high-speed Internet service has not been enough to get regular bandwidth increases and reasonable prices.

And that's without getting into the lack of DSL and cable internet in rural and low-income areas. This is another thing the FCC has to force the cable and telephone companies to change.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Jun 26, 2007 at 04:14 PM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 04:18 PM

I get a "crappy quality always dropping" 20 MB ADSL line that really it is 40KB (down) and 80 KB (up) yes you read it right, --upload is always faster than download but just at my home-- for $54 / month…

My current ISP told me that switching to a 1 MB service would give me more speed and no drops… would you think that is true?, even so they charge $40 / month…

I have switched ISP countless times but since all them rely on Telefónica (Spain) pipelines it is always the same third world class service…

In a nutshell, here in Spain internet users are kinda like early-adopters forever… no wonder I can't even play online with the DS and the Wii… every time my connection drops I lost the game…

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 04:36 PM

From some of the replies it looks like you guys are paying a lot more than me for broadband. My DSL cost $15 a month. We were paying twice that for cable.

You are right though. If the nationwide prices were cheaper and had more competition then the amount of households with broadband would probably increase dramatically.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 04:57 PM

¥5,775 (US$46.78) =
( Last edited by forkies; Jun 26, 2007 at 07:11 PM. )

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 05:09 PM

$35/month (It was $28 until recently.)

But it's really $55/month because AT&T won't let met get DSL without also getting landline phone service, which I haven't used much since I got a mobile phone.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 05:16 PM

This is only an issue if your bored. Get some fax sotware set it up to recieve then caller id them and send it back with a nice cover letter. Set it up to add another copy of the cover letter every time the same number faxes you.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 05:30 PM

$50/m But that includes a MSN email account.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Jul 13, 2007 at 03:54 PM. )
Signature depreciated.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 05:52 PM

$50/m

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post

U.S. Tops Broadband Usage, For Now

The latest stats I could find quickly. The U. S. ranks number 15 in percentage of people on broadband.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:11 PM

Next time, try something like this:

"Uhm, yeah, dude, Jim is not available right now. Ya know, he's having sex with da goat. If you give me your number, I'll sign you up for it as well."

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Low speed broadband is manageable if you schedule things properly - if you never turn your computers off then you probably don't need high speed... ...everything can download while you sleep.
Yep, that's what I used to do back when I was on 56K. It works pretty well unless you need to download something truly massive and want it in less than, like, a month.
Chuck
___

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 06:44 PM

$48/mo

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2007, 07:08 PM

Comcast, $50/month or so
ice

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 07:23 PM

I can't wait till FIOS gets installed at my place

5 Mbps down
2 Mbps up

$40/month

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
I can't wait till FIOS gets installed at my place

5 Mbps down
2 Mbps up

$40/month

We're looking into FIOS, I was looking at Bright House, but after mdc's horror story, forget that idea...
Signature depreciated.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 01:43 AM

hmm... my Japanese connection isn't quite that good... but it beat the hell out of what my family got in Milwaukee Wisconsin. 6,000¥ (AKA $50) gets me this:

Though I am running it from one room to the next via wireless G. I should give it a try with a direct hookup.

(Look at my upload jump when I give it another test!)

Rumor  (op)
Jun 27, 2007, 01:59 AM

Cipher13
Jun 27, 2007, 02:03 AM

Upstream in Aus really, really blows.

I think I pay around $80/month also (maybe more).

That's to Sydney though. To LA:

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2007, 02:24 AM

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 03:01 AM

Just as FYI .. for those of you who have DSL with a land line. I'm pretty sure you can have the land line disconnected but keep the DSL. At VZ, you can do that. I've been checking into it also as we don't use our line that much. You can also see if you can have your land line set up to only allow for 911 callout (some companies have that option). But that may not get rid of the fees (which unfortunately are crap but regulated). Just a thought....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 03:14 AM

$34 a month.

I seem to recall getting better results (like twice that, for some reason) when I actually plug into the router rather than running it over Airport.
Chuck
___

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 03:56 AM

I'm in Paris, France using a service provided by Free (Bienvenue sur Free ). The service costs 29.99 Euros a month and includes Internet, TV and telephone. There are a bunch of companies offering the same services at the same price or even less.

Internet: 28 Megabits/sec upload 1Megabit/sec download.

Telephone: Free, unlimited local calls. Free, unlimited international calls to 49 countries (using a normal phone not VOIP software). Softphone allows you to make or receive calls using your home line from anywhere in the world via the net. You get charged rates as if you were dialling from home. Great when you're away from home.

TV: 80 channels free including HD content (National Geographic HD for example). Pay channels available as well as video on demand. HDTV box wirelessly connects to ADSL modem using wireless n technology. Built-in 40GB hard disc for recording channels or uploading files. You can wirelessly ftp files to the box and play them on TV. Uses Videolan so it can play most formats. All channels can also be streamed over the wirless network and watched using videolan on a computer so your computers become TV's too.

Brilliant service and they keep adding new features without jacking up the cost.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 04:03 AM

$45 a month with Time Warner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules