Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stupid Cube power button!

Stupid Cube power button!
Macintosh
Banned
May 17, 2001, 07:42 PM

I will miss my Cube for the days that it is gone. The cube's power button is apparently the reason my Cube has been going off randomly. When it is tilted back for port insertion the cube goes off! I don't know why? Apple told me to send it to them in California. I did that today and am going to have it back in a week. Now I know why Apple Care is important. Free shipping and repair from Pennsylvania to CA. Phew. At least its nothing major.

fobside
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
The cube's power button is apparently the reason my Cube has been going off randomly.
Is that random? Isn't that what the power button is for?

Macintosh  (op)
Banned
May 17, 2001, 07:53 PM

Random=WHAT THE HELL, I WAS WORKING ON SOMETHING!
Willed=purposely

MacAgent
Senior User
May 17, 2001, 08:22 PM

It's actually just your evil second personality trying to get revenge for you not paying attention to it. Try talking to it and it might stop.

------------------
Stand up, march to the new League of Nations, everyone face to face.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2001, 09:09 PM

The touch sensitive power button on the cube is a bad idea. It really is just a stupid gimmic. It has no practical use, except for causing accidental power offs. I hate that thing.

------------------

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2001, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
The touch sensitive power button on the cube is a bad idea. It really is just a stupid gimmic. It has no practical use, except for causing accidental power offs. I hate that thing.

its a pretty cool stupid gimmic though. first time i saw it i was pretty wowed.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 10:56 PM

exactly. just because it's a gimmick doesn't make it bad. although they might do well to make it touch sensitive rather than telepathic. As it is, every time I have a negative thought about my computer, it turns itself off.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2001, 11:00 PM

I know its pretty "cool", but after the novelty wears off, it grows old. If your hand brushes by the button, you hit it. It is just a bad idea, in my mind. If anyone can think of a reason why it is better then an actual button, I'm all ears.

------------------

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2001, 11:30 PM

At least you people have cubes that have annoying power buttons.

Here I am, sitting at home, typing this on my non-translucent, non-cubical, floppy-endowed Power Mac 6100, just wishing I had a cube to play with. If it bothers you this much, maybe we could trade my 6100 (which doesn't have problems with the power button) for your cube . Then everyone would be happy: I'd have a computer that is cool-looking and superfast, and you'd have a computer that will stay on for as long as you want it to.

------------------
"It will be a great day when schools get all the money they need and the air force has to have a bake sale to buy a bomber."
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

chris_h
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Macintosh:
...stuff...
I have a theory:

I believe that Macintosh is none other than a drunken Steve Jobs.

Discuss.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 18, 2001, 12:07 AM

Probably

------------------
<A HREF="http://alnora.carbonized.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
Alnora Design Forums</A>
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

MacFan
Forum Regular
May 18, 2001, 03:16 AM

Never had a problem with the button myself.

When you get your cube back let us know how long it took. I had to send mine back to them to have them replace a CD-RW drive that went bad in mine after only 6 weeks. Cool thing was I called them on Tuesday, got the shipping materials from them on Wednesday, sent it out that morning and had it back in my hot little hands less that 48 hours later. I was impressed to say the least.

Hopefully you backed up your hard drive before you sent it out though. When I got it back they had also replaced the hard drive as well as the CD-RW. I was forwarned about this so it was not a problem.

Hope it goes well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules