Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Visor Deluxe, Sony Clie, or Palm Vx?

Visor Deluxe, Sony Clie, or Palm Vx?
jdbon
Nov 30, 2001, 08:29 PM

I would like to purchase a pda and i have narrowed my choices down to three: The Palm Vx for $149 ($199-$50 rebate), Sone Clie for $119 ($169-$50 rebate) or a Visor Deluxe for $129. I know that the Sony doe snot have native mac support, however I have read that this particular model syncs with Palm desktop with third party software. I'm leaning towards the Sony (Faster 33mhz vs 16, more memory, and memory card expansion0. i'm just concerned that when Palm desktop X comes out it will not be compatible. Which would choose?

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2001, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by jdbon:
<STRONG>I would like to purchase a pda and i have narrowed my choices down to three: The Palm Vx for $149 ($199-$50 rebate), Sone Clie for $119 ($169-$50 rebate) or a Visor Deluxe for $129. I know that the Sony doe snot have native mac support, however I have read that this particular model syncs with Palm desktop with third party software. I'm leaning towards the Sony (Faster 33mhz vs 16, more memory, and memory card expansion0. i'm just concerned that when Palm desktop X comes out it will not be compatible. Which would choose?</STRONG>
i would choose the visor either the new one for 129.00$ , or the refurbished for 99.00......i was thinking of getting one myself
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Dec 4, 2001, 10:24 PM

I am thinking of buying a refurbed visor deluxe for $99. but the Palm V for $150 after rebate sounds good. Where did you find the rebate offer? If I get the Palm V I would have to get adapters and drivers for it to work with my iMac and iBook. I have a visor Deluxe, but I like the size and shape of the Palm V. BTW although I highly recomend the visor deluxe. I have cracked the screen 3 times in 15 months. my next PDA will have the extra screen protection plan that CompUSA or Staples, or Office max offers. Let me know what you decided on, good luck. I am also considering the Visor Prism for $300 - $40 rebate= $260 (Office Max) I hate to lose all the springboards that I have purchased.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

MacFan
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2001, 06:09 AM

I'd pick the Sony. Excellent piece of hardware and will the 3rd party program to sync it to a Mac it is definately the way to go IMO.

I've got a clie myself and it rocks!

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Dec 5, 2001, 08:25 AM

The only thing the Palm has going for it is it's design and the Visor it's Springboard slot. Clie has a great name behind it, a great quality construction, and one of the best innovations to come to PDAs since USB - a jog dial.

Why anyone is even considering Palms and Visors after Sony comes along and actually innovates in the PDA market (imagine that!) i have no idea.

Speed

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 5, 2001, 09:00 AM

Hi,

I would personally recommend the Visor Deluxe. The more basic screen is actually easier to read most of the time, and it is very cheap. All you really need is a good, sturdy and simple to use machine - if you want MP3, get an MP3 player, it will be superior to using a palm as one.

Dave
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 10:57 AM

The display on the Clie embarasses my handspring. The Clie is vibrant and bright, my handspring looks pale and sickly next to it.

The drag about the Clie is that the icons don't look as good as they should. They're limited to PalmOS resolutions, and don't do that killer screen justice. It shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but it just looks like it's being held back.

The jog dial is a darn good idea. I wish my handspring had that. But then, the Clie won't double as a GPS via a plug in module (will it?)....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Dec 5, 2001, 03:21 PM

But sony lacks support for their OWN product, compatiblity issues, Some of their own (expensive)memory sticks are not compatible with the sony clie. Out of the box the Handspring units are compatible with macs. Handspring has over 50 ways to expand, much cheaper easier than the others which require proprietary expansion ie. memory stick. at least with the visor you can get a compact flash adapter and expand the memory whichever way you can desire. You have your choice of at least 3 different GPS units, 3 different MP3 players, Two different visor phones, about a half dozen choices for modems to suit your needs. You can get the sony, but good luck on expansion. They still do not have a GPS, phone, Modem, etc available in the US. you would have to go outside the country to get them and pay a rediculous amount of money for their propietary items. I love the design, If I had a Sony Vaio, Sony MP3 player, Sony camera, Sony camcorder, I would definitely get one. their design is nice. But I would have to get seperate memory sticks for each unit which would suck. But I do not have the Sony line of products, I have better ways to spend my money, until they start supporting macs, I will continue to turn away from Sony products.

Richard Clark
Senior User
Dec 7, 2001, 12:31 PM

The PDA bug has hit me too. I'm leaning towards the Visor Deluxe right now (blue). My question is does anyone have a Visor? What's your experience?

I know a little bit has been posted in this thread. But more experiences would be great.

Thanks!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

bender
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2001, 03:45 PM

I have a Visor Prism and I love it. I use it with the Visorphone (good enough until the color Treo comes out) for an all-in-one PDA/cell phone/wireless internet device. I've found it very helpful towards getting more organized and not having to juggle two devices.

I'd say the biggest difference between Handspring and Sony is support--Handspring has awesome support and they are familiar with the Mac. However, I've heard of people not getting any support from Sony if they use Macs (sorry, Windoze only!). And just try to find free software or support on Sony's website.

And like mikithecrackhead noted, the Visor's are much more expandable than the Clie's are. I can see SpeedRacer's point about innovation in the Clie, but don't forget that Handspring was first with expandability, and they have done quite a bit on the software side, such as adding 65,000 color capability to the OS, the Blazer web browser, better datebook. Sony makes nice hardware, but they don't know a thing about good software or Macs.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2001, 06:00 PM

I have a Visor Platinum that I bought this summer. I have used it a great deal, going well beyond the built-in capabilities (there is a TON of cheap or even free software out there for the downloading).

For me a big factor in my purchase of a Visor was their Mac support right out of the box. My only regret? I wish now (since the price has dropped so much) that I'd bought the Prism instead of the Platinum. But truthfully, for most things, grayscale is perfectly adequate. The myriad expansion possibilities (there are many, many Springboards available for the Visor) was another factor.

I must admit, the Sony Clies are sexy-looking devices, but it bugs me that they offer no out-of-the-box Mac support. That is another reason I supported Handspring in my own purchase decision.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Indigo Boy ]

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2001, 11:51 PM

I recently just picked up a Palm VX for $250 (cdn) about $150 U.S.
While it's not the fastest or the brightest screen, it's classic design sold me. The Visor has always looked cheap and Gameboy looking. The Sony Clie is better but still isn't a sleek as the VX.

That plus Sony's lack of Mac support made me feel uncomfortable. With Palm, at least you know they'll provide drivers for each and every Mac OS upgrade. Plus there are tons and tons of accessories (keyboard, modems,adapters etc) for the V and VX series.

Until many more Clie's have been sold, you have to depend pretty much on Sony to provide you with accessories. Third parties are more likely to develop for a product that has sold millions like the VX.

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2001, 01:57 AM

Does anyone use Excel-compatible software with their PDA? If so,what are your opinions about it?

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Dec 10, 2001, 06:50 PM

Also, the sony with Palm OS 4, does not sync with a USB mac. You can sync via infrared or third party apps. But out of the box the clie does not get along with macs.

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 08:20 PM

well i went and did it! i bought a refurbished visor deluxe for 99.00$ and free shipping...it should be here friday!! woohoo!!!!! ( i probably shouldnt have bought it right now, but hey, merry christmas to me!!)

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: suprz ]
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Richard Clark
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 11:13 AM

Please let us know how it works out. If it had any blemishes or any problems. I've considered going that way. But the extra $30.00 would ensure that all is right.

If I remember reading right you have a 90 day warranty.

Congratualtions!

I hope you enjoy it!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

<LY>
Dec 11, 2001, 02:55 PM

Walmart.com has the Visor Deluxe for $99.86 right now, limited colors avail.

<booger>
Dec 11, 2001, 03:02 PM

I can't believe how much the PDA's are going for on E bay. You could get new Visor Deluxe(reconditioned is better than used) for $99. Palm Vx for $199, but all the auctions I see that are closing seeem to go way over those prices, even Visor Prisms and PalmIIIc are going for prices higher than one could buy new. Don't they know that they could go to handspring.com or Palm.com and have their "new" Palm available the next day via Fed Ex.? There sure are a lot of fools out there. If the could just do a simple 3 minute search they would save lots of money.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 03:04 PM

To keep the debate active, my real problem with the Visor is that the Springboard modules are often just as expensive as a stand-alone device (camera, cell phone, etc) and serve only to the add to the already square, bulky form factor of the Visor line (c'mon... a bulky, poor interfaced, limited coverage wireless backpack modem in the VisorPhone simply cannot compete with a normal cell phone). Yes, USB and Mac support on Handspring's side is best-of-class, but i just don't see any truly compelling solutions coming out of the Springboard initiative that continue the tradition of compact design. Not to mention Handspring jumping ship on Springboard expansion with the Treo line.

Perhaps Sony's software support is a bit lackluster (not owning one i have no idea) but the innovations they've already brought to the Palm PDA market with high-quality displays a jog-dial that should have been there since day one, and a general quality feeling are all substantial enough to give it top honors in the realm of a PDA for PDA's (not phone, GPS, or camera's) sake.

If you want integrated technology, a better option (IMO) is the new market of phone/PDA combos from out of the likes of Kyocera (Smartphone 6035) and Samsung (i300). Picked up at 35' two weeks ago for $170, hacked it over to Verizon, and now i'm running a truly amazing cell phone/PDA device for just a little more than i would pay for a standard Palm/Visor at regular price.

Just another $.02

Speed

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: SpeedRacer ]

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 03:07 PM

Walmart.com has the Visor Deluxe for $99.86 right now, limited colors avail.
All sold out. They do have the Visor Prism for $268. That is the lowest price I have seen around.

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
<STRONG>Please let us know how it works out. If it had any blemishes or any problems. I've considered going that way. But the extra $30.00 would ensure that all is right.

If I remember reading right you have a 90 day warranty.

Congratualtions!

I hope you enjoy it!</STRONG>

i just recvd it, it works perfectly and there isnt a scratch on it!! it is cosmetically brand new. you couldnt tell it from a new visor if you had to. so far so good........

Forum Links
Forum Rules