Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > M$ Office for OS X??? WHEN???

M$ Office for OS X??? WHEN???
Carp
May 23, 2001, 05:14 AM

no can do, but i need M$ Office in my work and waiting it for os x . is there any info when M$ launch it?

carp

p.s. got yesterday my new freehand 10 , it RUUULZZZZ under X :-)

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 23, 2001, 10:44 AM

M$ says they'll have their Carbon version of Office 2001 ready by the fall. And it'll cost a *mere* $150 for current owners to upgrade!

------------------
/mal
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

MacFan
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 05:07 AM

I could care less as it runs great in Classic and M$ wants to charge us even more for it.

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 24, 2001, 04:40 PM

I'm not squirming around waiting for Word, but Entourage would be nice. It works fabulous for me in Classic, but a Carbonized version (that, of course, isn't lacking in the Classic version's current features) would be preferable.

------------------
da zdravstvuyet mir!

plaidpjs
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 11:05 AM

Kevin Browne is making the feature presentation at MWNY. It's supposed to be an update on the status of "Microsoft Office 10 for Mac OS X".

It's conceivable he could shock us by announcing it's availability, but last year they showed Office 2001 and it wasn't available for like a month or two after that. So, no holding your breath.

Ciao!

------------------
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

Professor X
Forum Regular
May 26, 2001, 02:51 PM

What are our other options? Currently I just use Appleworks, but I would really like to have something that can transfer filez back and forth from office... anyone have a suggestion (without loading office)

-Prof X

------------------
ibook 500/DVD
9500 200
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2001, 04:34 PM

An alternative free option also coming soon is Abiword, an open-source cross platform word processor (http://www.abisource.com) Its currntly being ported to OS X, although I don't know how close it is.

If you're a developer you might wanna join the list and help out.
W

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2001, 06:38 PM

Professor X, please reduce your sig image to dimensions of 120x35 and a load size of less than 8 KB. It's MacNN policy so the images don't get out of hand; it's murder on our dialup members. TIA.

Also, MS announced that the release date would be Fall 2001. Fall 2001. Didn't we do this a few days ago? It's like deja vu all over again...

But I'm most interested to hear Kevin Browne's progress report at MWNY in July. It's on Office 10 for X, so he'll probably show some videos of it in action under X.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Professor X
Forum Regular
May 27, 2001, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Professor X, please reduce your sig image to dimensions of 120x35 and a load size of less than 8 KB. It's MacNN policy so the images don't get out of hand; it's murder on our dialup members. TIA.
Hmmmm it might be a good idea to state that fact somewhere in the profile setup... but I definatly see your point as i have to use a dial up at work (ahhh the dark ages )
-Prof X

------------------
ibook 500/DVD
9500 200
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2001, 03:30 PM

Thanks, I'll pass that idea on to the superiors...

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 04:30 PM

Does anyone know if the MacLinkPlus translators work with Appleworks on X? As we should at least have one option for opening a word/excel file natively in OS X (not including textedit, cos it blows).

------------------
�I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a
wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion,
inefficiency, and demoralisation� - Petronius Arbiter 60A.D.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 06:29 AM

Not much help - but from maccentral: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...9.office.shtml

Office for Mac OS X info to be offered at MWNY
by Dennis Sellers, [email protected]
May 29, 2001, 5:00 pm ET

Office 10 for Mac OS X is still not due until this fall, but at the upcoming Macworld New York, some details will be revealed.

Kevin Browne, general manager of Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (MacBU) will hold a "Microsoft Office 10 for Mac OS X Users Update" on Thursday, July 19, from 9-10 am. During the feature presentation, Browne will offer "insight into the state of the Mac development world" and how Office 10 will "take Macintosh productivity to the next level," according to information from IDG World Expo, organizers of the expo.

Last month the MacBU released an Office 2001 Service Release 1 (SR 1) designed to improve the performance of Office 2001 when it's running in the Classic environment of Mac OS X. You can download the free updater (it's a 9.4 MB file) at the MacBU Web site.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Dogma:
Does anyone know if the MacLinkPlus translators work with Appleworks on X? As we should at least have one option for opening a word/excel file natively in OS X (not including textedit, cos it blows).

yes they have been carbonized and work in AppleWorks, however, when I get certain .doc files from Office 97 (PC) it refuses to view them as openable > so I have to open them in word > save > open in AppleWorks - does not seem worth the hassle sometimes - however some files open fine.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules