Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > dual boot imac 10.5 (add 10.4?)

dual boot imac 10.5 (add 10.4?)
wobbly
Jul 19, 2008, 06:10 PM

Hi,

Just recently purchased the new imac running 10.5.2. I have what was (on 10.4.9) a bootable cloned 10.4 from my macbook (intel 10.4.9). When I use the same program (carbon copy cloner) to try to clone the 10.4.9 onto a free empty partition on the new imac the partition does not seem to be bootable. It shows as a new distinct volume when I hold down "option" while starting up, but when I select that newly cloned volume it brings me to the imac login (10.5.2) instead? Anyone else had a similar issue and have suggestions on how to have dual boot imac 10.5.2 with 10.4.9 from macbook?

thanks in advance!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2008, 06:16 PM

Your new iMac doesn't support Tiger, the drivers aren't included for the new hardware, hence it won't boot it.

You may be able to do it with some kext hackery, but it wouldn't be easy.

wobbly  (op)
Jul 19, 2008, 06:22 PM

Damn. Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize it wouldn't work beforehand.

What about upgrading the 10.4.9 volume to 10.5.x? Would that work? Or does TimeMachine prevent CCC or superduper from making bootable clones in 10.5.x?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2008, 03:14 AM

You could try upgrading the 10.4.9 volume up to 10.5, but upgrades have sometimes caused a lot of issues.

If you just want to get your apps. and data exactly as they were, use migration assistant to transfer them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules