Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > duplicate keystrokes in tiger

duplicate keystrokes in tiger
mammy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 03:41 PM

hello all,
i'm using tiger and when i type into several mac applications (stickies, ichat, entourage, textedit) i get duplicate keystrokes (ie. when i type a question mark or comma or colon i'll get two instead of one).

anythink known on this?

tia,
michael

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mammy
hello all,
i'm using tiger and when i type into several mac applications (stickies, ichat, entourage, textedit) i get duplicate keystrokes (ie. when i type a question mark or comma or colon i'll get two instead of one).

anythink known on this?

tia,
michael
Welcome to the cclub. There are sseveral threadds about this bug at this forum as well as many at the Apple support discussions. The bug is not Tiger specific. I believe it is a hardware bug as the problem shows up even in Open Firmware. It is not the keyboard itself as the bug will persist even when using external usb keyboards. All sorts of Macs have this bug, you will find threads about it on G5s, iMacs, Powerbooks, iBooks and Mac mini.

I have had this bug for a year now (my new PowerBook had it out of the box) and beeen talking to Apple support. They seem to have no clue as to what causes it. I have tried absolutely everything on my own and with guidance from Apple Support. Even clean reinstalls, different keyboards, all sorts of applications to try to isloate the bug etc. The probblem is now elevateed to engineering. Several of the Apple support guys had this bug as well btw. Many of the affected does not understand that it is a bug, they just take it to be sloppy typing skills.

My sugggestion is that you contact Apple support, the soonner the better. I for one have lost faith in their ability to solve this after a year of trying, and will assk for a replacement Powerbook. I am quite unnhapppy, having payed a lot for a defective computer. I have spent at least a 100 hours trying to fix this alonne andd with apple. I would demand a replacement, because otherwise, they will just put you through a year of testing in vain as they have done with me and a lot others, judging from the many threads and emails I have recieved from other people with this problem (they picked up my address from apple supportt forums and this forum).

BTTW. The strange thing about this bug is that it is sometimes almost not noticeable and then suddenly, it is very prominent, spiittting out double letters in every word. The bug makes the computer worthless for any typing work and the constant misspellings brings any innspiration and creative process to a grindding halt after about 15 seconds. I love my macs, but this bugg makes it hard to be positive. And Apple, while nicce and thorough in trying to solve it, should understand that they have a defectivve product and replace the affeccted macs immediately - not use their paying customers with defective computers as guinea piggs for years.

Please keep me posted about your actions. I will do the same for you.

I wonnt bother to spellcheck the above. As you can see, the bugg iss having a heyday todayy...

Sophus
( Last edited by Sophus; Jan 22, 2006 at 08:36 AM. )

mammy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 07:16 PM

sophus,
the latest tiger update (10.4.4) seems to have fixed it on my computer.

michael

Originally Posted by Sophus
Welcome to the cclub. There are sseveral threadds about this bug at this forum as well as many at the Apple support discussions. The bug is not Tiger specific. I believe it is a hardware bug as the problem shows up even in Open Firmware. It is not the keyboard itself as the bug will persist even when using external usb keyboards. All sorts of Macs have this bug, you will find threads about it on G5s, iMacs, Powerbooks, iBooks and Mac mini.

I have had this bug for a year now (my new PowerBook had it out of the box) and beeen talking to Apple support. They seem to have no clue as to what causes it. I have tried absolutely everything on my own and with guidance from Apple Support. Even clean reinstalls, different keyboards, all sorts of applications to try to isloate the bug etc. The probblem is now elevateed to engineering. Several of the Apple support guys had this bug as well btw. Many of the affected does not understand that it is a bug, they just take it to be sloppy typing skills.

My sugggestion is that you contact Apple support, the soonner the better. I for one have lost faith in their ability to solve this after a year of trying, and will assk for a replacement Powerbook. I am quite unnhapppy, having payed a lot for a defective computer. I have spent at least a 100 hours trying to fix this alonne andd with apple. I would demand a replacement, because otherwise, they will just put you through a year of testing in vain as they have done with me and a lot others, judging from the many threads and emails I have recieved from other people with this problem (they picked up my address from apple supportt forums and this forum).

BTTW. The strange thing about this bug is that it is sometimes almost not noticeable and then suddenly, it is very prominent, spiittting out double letters in every word. The bug makes the computer worthless for any typing work and the constant misspellings brings any innspiration and creative process to a grindding halt after about 15 seconds. I love my macs, but this bugg makes it hard to be positive. And Apple, while nicce and thorough in trying to solve it, should understand that they have a defectivve product and replace the affeccted macs immediately - not use their paying customers with defective computers as guinea piggs for years.

Please keep me posted about your actions. I will do the same for you.

I wonnt bother to spellcheck the above. As you can see, the bugg iss having a heyday todayy...

Sophus

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2006, 04:49 AM

I actually never encountered this problem until I installed the 10.4.4 update. Very odd.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Euphrates
I actually never encountered this problem until I installed the 10.4.4 update. Very odd.
Mammy, I hope you are right, but my guess is that it will come back.

Euphrates, sorry to hear that.

It's been like on and off for me ever since I got my Powerbook. Sometimes almost not noticeable and the next day it's crazy. As you can see, today the problem is seemingly gone. Later tonight, it may be double keystrokes bonanza. I can see why this bug iis hard to solve. I you experience this bug and want to know more, have a look at the Apple discusssion forums, do some searching.

People who are affected have tried absolutely everything and made all possible and impossible suggestions about what's wrong. The only successful fixes seems to be changing to a non-Apple keyboard, but even then, some have experienced the problem from time to time. Sorry if I sound like a negative whiner, but it is really bugging me this bug...

Forum Links
Forum Rules