Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mounting Disks Cause Crash Under OS 9

Mounting Disks Cause Crash Under OS 9
jackmac
Nov 2, 1999, 02:46 AM

When I try and mount a CD or Removeable Disk, I'm getting a system crash. This only seems to occur after having the computer turned on for a while and completing various activities. If I try to reboot with the CD or Disk still in, the system will crash again when it tries to mount the disk. However, if I remove the disk and reboot, everything comes up fine. I'm running a Performa 6400 upgraded to a G3/300. Any help or suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

Flurk
Nov 2, 1999, 06:52 AM

I have the same problem on a 8100/80 with Sonnet G3 220 and videocaddy connected to the PDS graphics card and 4 x speed CD-ROM (600i)
The problem remains when using a 2x speed external CD-ROM (300).
You can try using an older version of the Apple CD-ROM. It didn't work on my computer.
I don't have this problem on my 8100/100 with Sonnet G3 266 and Sonata nubus card and 8x speed CD-ROM.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 1999, 07:59 PM

There appear to be some problems with the Apple DVD/CD driver on SCSI CD drives. I have an 8500/150 with an 8x CD. My solution was to use the Apple CD extension that came with OS 8.1.

Hope this helps.

Flurk
Nov 4, 1999, 05:05 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried it on my 8100/80 G3 220/0,5 with videocaddy but it didn't help.
Inserting a CD causes always a crash.
The problem looks like a scsi conflict but I didn't change any scsi settings and all worked fine under 8.6.

Like Jackmac, if I reboot with the CD in the drive it comes up.
Then the crash occurs as soon as I insert another CD.
There are no problems when I don't load the Crescendo extension but then I have no G3 acceleration.
Anyway, sine OS 9 is 5-10% slower than 8.6 (even more in graphics mix) I decided to return to 8.6, which is noticeable faster.

[This message has been edited by Flurk (edited 11-04-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules