Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6200 Components to a 7300/7500/7600

6200 Components to a 7300/7500/7600
jagga
Senior User
Mar 5, 2000, 04:39 AM

Hi
I have a very old Performa 6200CD running at 603 75mhz. I am thinking about buying a used 7300/7500/7600 (so that I can later upgrade it to a G3). My question is can I transfer my hard drive from my 6200 to a free slot of 7300/7500/7600? Do they even have a free slot? And how hard is it do that? Anyone know of a website that shows instructions? Also anyone has any uses for a old computer? There is no pt. in selling it since I won't get much back for it.

Thanks for your help
Jagga

Seagull
Mar 5, 2000, 08:21 AM

For some reasons, my message below was posted twice. I am just clearing this one.

[This message has been edited by Seagull (edited 03-05-2000).]

Seagull
Mar 5, 2000, 08:30 AM

You can go to http://www.apple.com/support/ and select Manuals on one of the pop-up menus. Then you can search the manuals of your 6200 and the model you want to buy to read some illustrated instructions for those computers.

jeffreyloaf
Mar 5, 2000, 10:11 AM

Here is a site that will help you out some http://performa.macland.net/. They are a site that has info to help you out. They deal with the Performa line. Also if your local library or book store has a the book called Macworld Mac Secrets($49.95) plus cd; steep price but a lot of info that will help out just about everybody.
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2000, 10:15 AM

The 7x00's have free slots, but unless you've replaced the IDE harddrive in your 6200 with a SCSI one, you wouldn't be able to use it in the 7x00 as they only have on-board SCSI controllers. If you've got ethernet on the 6200, connect it to the new machine as a file server, if not, use Appletalk to connect them (or buy a cheap ethernet card). This way, you get the extra drive space, and you have a spare machine to play multiplayer Warcraft on, or for someone else to use for Appleworks while you work on the newer machine.
Aaron

The Wolfe
Mar 7, 2000, 04:26 AM

Geeze, I didn't know the Performa 6200/75 was considered 'very old' now - makes me kind of sad :-)

I'd keep the machine around, because you never know when you'll need a file server. The 6200 is a good basic file server because it supports ethernet, chows little power, and has a nice IDE interface that supports most any new low cost/high capacity drive on the market today. I have a 5200/75 and a 6200/75, both running as backup servers in my room as I speak. I put 15GB drives into both of them for $140 each, LC PDS ethernet cards for $29, and maxed the memory out real cheap. Now I back up my workstation, and my parents iMac hard drive every week - with redundant copies for extra security (hey, I'm a geek!)

If only I could put mklinux on it...

------------------
-Eliott Wolfe

Forum Links
Forum Rules