Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Don't try This at home

Don't try This at home
Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 08:07 PM

Well hubris got the best of me. I bought a cheap 220mhz G3 for my old Powerbase about the same time I got a 30 gig drive for the iMac. So I take the old 10gig drive from the iMac and put it in the Powerbase... so far so good.. It runs OS 9.1 straight out of the iMac with no problem (after deleting a few USB extensions) so I think, hey, things are going well, and I've got an OSX volume on this drive, and OS 9.1 isn't supposed to work, but it does, so maybe OS X will boot..

Anyway it looks like something got unpleasantly warm on the logic board. No booting anywhere off anything... unless anyone has a bright idea. All I get is a startup chime. I hit the CUDA and even put in the old drive and 603e. No dice...
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2001, 08:26 PM

When you get a start up chime, do you get any other beeps or chimes before/after?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Boondoggle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 08:32 PM

No, just the startup chime. The monitor sometimes briefly flickers, but remains dark.
1.25GHz PowerBook

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 09:16 PM

Have you checked the internal battery? A chime followed by nothing is indicative of a dead battery. It's an easy fix, but it could be something more serious.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 23, 2001, 10:20 PM

Moving to Older Systems & Clones.

thanks

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2001, 09:29 AM

Sounds a lot like what happens to 20th Anniversary Macs that try to run MacOS X and I believe they are based on the same motherboard as yours.

To get it come back, some have had to pull the backup battery and power, wait a few minutes and plug it back in. Others have had luck with an OpenFirmware reset.

Do a search for 20th anniversary Macs and MacOS X and I think you'll find your solution.

drewman

Boondoggle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2001, 08:58 PM

Thanks... I have already tried the battery trick, thinking that something in the PRAM might have gotten scrambled. How do I do an open firmware reset?

1.25GHz PowerBook

Boondoggle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2001, 06:54 PM

The battery/unplug system worked. I wasn't waiting long enough. I left it overnight, and it booted fine this morning.

Thanks for your help!

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules