Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > pb 867 15" broken hinge story (happy ending)

pb 867 15" broken hinge story (happy ending)
everyplace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 03:04 PM

So, about a month ago, I was at a local art show (fluxpgh.com) and my friend and I were responsible for broadcasting video from the show. Of course, I set up a quicktime streaming server on a redhat box, and used my tibook 15" 867 with quicktime broadcaster to stream from the event.

But during the 1 hour when I wasn't manning my machine, my friend opened it up, and the left hinge snapped. I was devistated, as I had $0 to spend on repairs, as I only picked up the machine in January (used from ebay, mint condition), and spent every available dollar on it.

I sent it off to apple on tuesday. I called tech support earlier today, asking when it would be ready, and they gave me the Airborne Express tracking number, along with telling me that it was fixed for free (yay!) and on it's way home. But then they told me Airborne doesn't ship over the weekend, so it should be there monday. I called up my mom to tell her that a package will be arriving at her house on monday, and she said it already came yesterday?

Now, I haven't actually seen the machine yet, but sounds like it's 100% better. Just wanted to share my positive powerbook-related apple story.

BTW, I do not have applecare, and the product is out of the 90 day limited warranty. This was covered under the 1 year manufacturers defect warranty, apparently.

I'll update once I actually get the machine in front of me.

everyplace  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 05:04 PM

So now that my machine is in front of me, I'm even more happy. The left hinge was replaced, along with the top of the case (the back of the monitor) the front of the monitor (but not the actual lcd, just the bezel around it) and the top portion of metal around the keyboard.

These all had damage to it, but the hinge was the only thing I asked to be fixed. I am more than happy with the result. And even beyond that, I guess the pixel I thought was dead was just stuck, as it now works fine? Go figure.

I'm happy.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 05:15 PM

Wow! I've only heard negative stories about Apple's warranty repairs. This seems to be the complete antithesis of that.

By the way, where are you in Pittsburgh? I heard about Flux but didn't have time to make it.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2003, 06:03 PM

How can you tell it's the same LCD?

The common apple repair is replacing the whole LCD assembly, flat panel and titanium panels already assembled. This assembly is listed under one part number, and is replaced as a complete unit.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
How can you tell it's the same LCD?

The common apple repair is replacing the whole LCD assembly, flat panel and titanium panels already assembled. This assembly is listed under one part number, and is replaced as a complete unit.
yea..if it used to have a dead pixel and now it's gone, it's a good bet they replaced the whole screen assembly..

anyway, congrats on the fix..
Ryan

everyplace  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 11:33 PM

The part numbers that they replaced were as follows:

620-2249 P88 Top Case Assembly
603-0192 Top Housing Sub Assembly, 15.2
810-1703 LCD Bezel, Alum, Pnt

That's what the proof of repair message contained.

I don't know 100% that it is the same LCD, but it would be strange to replace it with one that had almost identical markings on it? I mean, I wasn't careful with getting keyboard build-up to not be on the screen, and more specifically, the left part of the trackpad housing scraped a pretty distinct wear mark on the screen, which is still there. Bizarre.

Yeah, I know it is strange, but this was a really great apple repair story. I'm still shocked that they did this all without applecare (which I do plan on buying, once I get the extra $350 or whatever it is).

As for pittsburgh, I'm in Sq. Hill. I'm involved with a small arts group here called imohk (our site is crippled currently, as we're in the process of switching hosters). Flux was a pretty decent show, and they're having another one in June, which I'm going to try to show some photographs in. Probably be streaming video again, but perhaps this time I'll get some insurance from them, as this could have cost me a grand easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules