Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > jackhammer scsi card freezes at boot

jackhammer scsi card freezes at boot
sphxm
Oct 17, 1999, 01:35 PM

with os 9 installed my b&W G3 freezes before any extensions load with jackhammer card in pci slot. boots fine after pulling the card. i've had to revert to 8.6 to use my scsi periperals. what a disappointment.
is anyone else having similar problems?

Kat122
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 02:55 PM

I think you should contact the Jackhammer manufacturer about the problem. They were pretty quick to address the bootability issue, so maybe a fix is already in the works.

seeze
Oct 20, 1999, 04:27 PM

dude get a g4 man....

interloper
Feb 15, 2001, 03:29 PM

It's a valid question, seeze, whereas your snipe has nothing to do anything remotely related to this topic. Crawl back to your Pentium, post haste.

sphxm -- If it boots only when the car is out, regardless of software, you've got my problem. In my case I'm trying the NuBus Jackhammer on a Quadra and get a sad Mac right after the video wakes up.

Kat122 -- How were they addressing the "bootability issue"? The maker, FWB, sold the Jackhammer line to Hammer Storage, which is gone. There is no manufacturer to ask.

interloper
Feb 15, 2001, 03:34 PM

Just found this via Google, maybe you've already seen it:

"JackHammer SCSI cards no longer compatible - or rather the problem is a little more complex than that. With virtual memory enabled you can boot the Mac into OS 9 but the drives attached to the card will not automatically mount, you must use the mounting utility that comes with your disk formating software. However, boot with virtual memory off and the Mac will refuse to boot until you remove the SCSI card from it's PCI slot"

That was from a guy using a B&W G3, too.

nipsy
Mar 26, 2001, 02:39 PM

I have a 9600 which I boot from a RAID striped across 2 Jackhammers. Go to rorke.com for the 1.4.5 control panel, and flash the Jackammer ROM.

Now if only I could get Linux to see them, so that I could boot MacOnLinux, inside Linux, running 9.1 on the striped RAID while Linux sits on top...

BertC
Apr 3, 2001, 11:02 AM

Will this card and CP work on a 733 G4? I still have the Jackhammer card installed on the PPC8500, thought I would do some research before moving it to the G4.

Forgetfull
Apr 25, 2001, 08:27 PM

Thanks for directing everyone to that update nipsy (very difficult to find otherwise - FWB/Streamlogic/Hammer having changed hands so frequently). I haven't had to tinker with this thing in ages... REMIND ME HOW TO DO A ROM UPDATE...? ( I vaguely remember needing to do some keystroke in combination with the control panel, but alas I can't find my documentation. HELP!

Reply with a post or (even better) email [email protected]. Thanks!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nipsy:
[B]I have a 9600 which I boot from a RAID striped across 2 Jackhammers. Go to rorke.com for the 1.4.5 control panel, and flash the Jackammer ROM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules