Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 68k and JAVA

68k and JAVA
kybernaut
Apr 22, 2001, 07:23 AM

Can an 68040 not handle Java or why is this option in the browsers always "greyed out" ?.

greetingz

k

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2001, 11:40 PM

I don't care what implementation of Java you are trying to get to work, or who made the virtual machine (Apple, Netscape, etc.), java is runs poorly on just about all macs except for the fastest G4s, and even then it is questionable.

A 68k Mac just doesn't have the power to run java applets or applications and therefore is probably not a feature of the browser you are using. If you absolutly must be using java applets or applications, you had better get a PowerPC based Mac that is a bit on the speedy side.

kybernaut  (op)
Apr 28, 2001, 10:20 AM

Yes, I know that a 68k is slow - but I don't care I just wanted to know this java issue...

thanx anyway!

k

firefly
Apr 29, 2001, 11:53 AM

If you are using IE4.5, the MS Java Machine is always greyed out. Use Apple MRJ or switch to IE4 or NS.

kybernaut  (op)
Apr 29, 2001, 12:43 PM

I'm using NS 4.08 which is actually big and slow. IE 4, the last IE for 68k, is quite hard to find these days, because MS doesn't have an archive like Netscape. And I don't believe, it's better than NS (???).

iCab is a nice little browser - theoretically, because it only crashes on my system (Performa 630, OS 8.1).

If Opera makes his promise true and provides their browser for 68k, this will probably the f...ing fastest browser. And maybe then, there will be anough power left to run a java applet...

The problem is not the slow 68k but the big-blowted software:

k

kybernaut  (op)
Apr 30, 2001, 04:02 AM

P.S.:

I just tried out IE 4.01 - And it does Java... Beside of this: It renders the pages very nice on 256 colors...

BUT...

it's unbearable slow...

hfga

Forum Links
Forum Rules