Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best place to send MBP for Hard drive upgrade?

Best place to send MBP for Hard drive upgrade?
agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 03:08 PM

I recently got a Macbook Pro with the 160GB 5400rpm drive. I plan on buying the 200GB 7200rpm drive when OSX10.5 comes out - i need speed and space. I am NOT looking for an external drive solution for those who are going to suggest that route.

I just want to know which is the best place I can send my macbook pro to for the hard drive upgrade. I don't want to void my warrently. I want it to be a mac-friendly place. Thanks!
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 03:42 PM

CompUSA will do it for $30, and they're an Apple Authorized Service whatever, but I'm not going to say that's the best place to send it.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by agentmouthwash View Post
I recently got a Macbook Pro with the 160GB 5400rpm drive. I plan on buying the 200GB 7200rpm drive when OSX10.5 comes out - i need speed and space. I am NOT looking for an external drive solution for those who are going to suggest that route.

I just want to know which is the best place I can send my macbook pro to for the hard drive upgrade. I don't want to void my warrently. I want it to be a mac-friendly place. Thanks!
If you are mechanically inclined even slightly, go for it yourself.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro/85/
save $$, minimal down time, avoid dealing with pretentious people and really get to know you MBP. Can always put back the original drive.

ALWAYS USE THE APPROPRIATE TOOLS
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by wubrew View Post
If you are mechanically inclined even slightly, go for it yourself.
The OP stated that he didn't want to risk voiding the warranty. On the MBP replacing the hard drive is not considered a user replaceable component. While opening the case will not void the warranty, any damage or anything that goes wrong, he SOL. Additionally if after the fact something breaks and apple sees that the MBP had surgery they'll not cover the warranty.

Being that the MBP is so expensive, its worth having the proper people do the upgrade and keep the warranty intact.

agentmouthwash  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

thanks for the responses. Any place besides Compusa?
I don't trust them.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 04:06 PM

Check your local apple store, some do it (for a price).

I trust them over compusa.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 04:27 PM

I did mine myself last week using the macfixit instructions mentioned earlier. It's really not that hard, even for someone who's never done it before (even though I did sweat quite a bit )

Oh and I was told doing this does not void your warranty. As long as you don't break anything, there's no way anyone can tell you did it.
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Milkman View Post
I did mine myself last week using the macfixit instructions mentioned earlier. It's really not that hard, even for someone who's never done it before (even though I did sweat quite a bit )

Oh and I was told doing this does not void your warranty. As long as you don't break anything, there's no way anyone can tell you did it.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The OP stated that he didn't want to risk voiding the warranty. On the MBP replacing the hard drive is not considered a user replaceable component. While opening the case will not void the warranty, any damage or anything that goes wrong, he SOL. Additionally if after the fact something breaks and apple sees that the MBP had surgery they'll not cover the warranty.

Being that the MBP is so expensive, its worth having the proper people do the upgrade and keep the warranty intact.

Try it and you will know exactly what I meant about " Get to know your MBP better "

delhiboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 05:25 PM

As I have done at least this 3 times (on my ibookG3 and ibook G4, this is not for the faint of heart. I only did this myself because I am nuts

Check out <http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html>. They did a great job on a logic board repair for my FIL's ibook. No affiliation - just a happy customer!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 04:36 PM

If you have a local Mac user group... they usually have someone that will do it free and show the others how its done! Memphis AppleCore installs new hardware every 3 months or so to show people the ins & outs of Mac maintenance.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
If you have a local Mac user group... they usually have someone that will do it free and show the others how its done! Memphis AppleCore installs new hardware every 3 months or so to show people the ins & outs of Mac maintenance.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by wubrew View Post
Try it and you will know exactly what I meant about " Get to know your MBP better "
No thanks, I do not wish risking my warranty. Besides I'm not the one asking up get a bigger/faster hard drive. I'm content with what I have.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Check your local apple store, some do it (for a price).

I trust them over compusa.
Nope... if they're an Apple Store, as an a corporate store, they don't do it.

You can try TechRestore.com, iResQ.com. Or other AASPs in your area (Apple Authorized Service Providers).

agentmouthwash  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2007, 01:20 PM

thanks for the replies. TechRestore.com looks like they have some great deals.

On a related topic, does anybody know what's coming up next with laptop hard drives?
think we will see a 250GB 7200rpm drive by the time leopard comes out?
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2007, 07:38 PM

On a related topic, does anybody know what's coming up next with laptop hard drives?
think we will see a 250GB 7200rpm drive by the time leopard comes out?
250GB/7200RPM by October is possible, but unlikely IMO. Pick 250GB/5400RPM or 200GB/7200RPM.

rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 26, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
CompUSA will do it for $30, and they're an Apple Authorized Service whatever, but I'm not going to say that's the best place to send it.
Unfortunately, feedback in these forums for CompUSA's Mac service has been distinctly negative :
http://forums.macnn.com/69/macbook-p...rvice-compusa/
http://forums.macnn.com/66/macbook-a...rackpad-issue/

OK, maybe those with good experiences are less inclined to post about them, but FWIW I would be very nervous about trusting them with my PowerBook.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 08:34 PM

I'm one of those voices with a very negative CompUSA experience. It all comes down to the techs at the local place and how long you can be without your machine.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 08:41 PM

CompUSA techs are people who get Apple certifications just to have it because their stores need at least one person who is Apple Certified... but they have almost zero hands on experience. Almost every computer they service is as if it's their first time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules