Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Old School VW GTIs.... suggestions?

Old School VW GTIs.... suggestions?
KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 20, 2007, 11:50 AM

K. I currently have an 89 accord lx, 5spd. I lowered that with nuespeed springs, nice struts, put some good wheels and tires on it, it's a fun little car to drive, even with 250+ thousand miles

Over xmas, I inherited a 1992 accord ex, top of the line model, with 4 wheel disc, automatic (UGH), moonroof, etc. I hate this car. It drives like ass. It only has 160,000 miles, but it's got pretty severe honda rot going on around the rear wheels, which makes me not want to put any money into it. On the other hand, this was the car I learned how to drive in, back in 1996. It has a CD player, and non working A/C.

The problem is that I don't like the way the 92 handles, or drives in general. It's just a big, heavy lout, but it IS more comfortable on the highway, and it does have an airbag, so for my wife commuting to work on the highway, it's a little superior to the 89 accord. However, the 89 accord is perfect around town, being nimble, etc. We both love the blue 89 accord a lot, and we both don't really like the 92 all that much.

Then I saw this:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/car/375102464.html

Wow. Apart from the stupid hood graphic, that looks to be a great little car. So the question is... think I should grab that instead? Or keep the honda? The big issue is the honda needs brakework (I'm doing that next week), the exhaust is leaking (going to get that fixed), and the body isn't very clean. Any thoughts would be appreciated, except from Kevin.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 12:43 PM

By mentioning him by name I think you've pretty much guaranteed that you won't get what you want...

I would do it (or at least check out the car...), looks pretty sweet.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 01:44 PM

I have a 85 gti and have had a few other gen 2 vws. Great cars.

ImpulseResponse

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 02:12 PM

I'd get it, but I'd then have the top end replaced, swap to AmsOil or MobileOne, and have all the ground straps replacd. I'd get the front end suspension checked reeeeeeaaaal good. maybe put some Michelin Exalto A/S tires on it. Add a sway bar too. Replace the injectors and then drive the poo out of it for 50-75K miles. I have 200K on a 95 Jetta similarly set up.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 07:46 PM

Again, whats with the dorky headlights. Euro spec'd GTI's had these IMHO far cooler looking lights

(all Golfs had these round lights, the GTI just had the extra inner ones)
It looks like for some reason they fitted Jetta Headlamps to the USA spec Golf,

Early Golf GTI's should be really good cars, they are infact faster than the current Golf GTI's, due to them being so much lighter.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 08:43 PM

I had an '88 GTi in that same color As much as I love the older VW GTis, I have to say they aren't all that wonderful. The 16v engine is buzzy and rough - yet reliable. The shifter (as in all fwd VWs) is total crap. Unless the previous owner replaced all the shifter bushings, you'll need to do it. Also check the upper strut bushings (rattle when worn) and parking brake lever/cables. Those 2 items are always messed up. Check out the motor mounts, too. None of those things cost much to fix. The transmission costs a lot to fix, though. And the 3rd gear synchronizer is the first thing to quit. Don't blame the sloppy gearshift linkage if you "miss" 3rd gear. It's prolly the synchro. This will be far more evident when downshifting into 3rd.
These little cars handle very well and they're pretty quick. But it isn't that sort of effortless speed you'd expect. Spinning the engine up near the 7250rpm(i think) redline will cause enough noise and vibration to rattle fillings out of your teeth. It's the polar opposite of a Honda. Simply put, it's one of those engines that develops good top-end power (125HP, give or take) at the expense of low end torque. Yet keeping the revs up is so unpleasant. The Mk 1 GTis are a lot more fun, in my opinion.

Yeah, the 16v GTis in 87-88 (at least) have those odd rectangular headlights. You can buy a new Euro grille and round headlights, but they're not cheap.

I wouldn't pay anything near $3500 for the car in that ad. At best it's worth $2000. Look around, they aren't rare.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Jul 20, 2007 at 08:52 PM. )

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2007, 07:10 PM

Don't know the GTis. But I used to drive an '86 Golf and I loved that car. It was reliable and a joy to drive. Being a hiker, I took it to some pretty rough places and it could really plow through deep snow - sometimes during winter I'd drive through town on the tiny Golf, just to grin in the faces of stuck jeep owners while the Golf plowed on. Heh heh, good times.

I prefer my new car though...

( Last edited by Hugi; Jul 21, 2007 at 07:20 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules