Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > beep coming from HD?

beep coming from HD?
isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 10:48 PM

Hi, I have a Wind Tunnel Dual 1Ghz G4 that's exibiting an odd behavior. Every once in a while, the hard drive will "beep" for no aparent reason. it's like it's rebooting it's self or something, but I can use the computer normally.

It's happened two times now... The first time I dismissed it, but this time, I heard it clearly. Should I be ready to replace the HD?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

DJG3
Feb 10, 2003, 11:36 PM

I've got the same machine Dual 1.0ghz (I also have 3 HDs, a second pci video card and a usb 2 pci card installed as well )...I hear the beep probably a 2-5 times/wk probably since my machine is on just about 24/7 crunching on video stuff. But I have heard it when its just idle as well. It would be nice to know whats up with that since I dont like weird noises coming from my brand new G4 or my 2500 mtn bike either!

~DJG3

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 12:06 AM

Mine used to beep when I would try to wake it up, it would spin down when idle. The computer wouldn't sleep though, just the drive, and when I tried to wake it up, it would beep over and over like it couldn't spin up or something. Then finally it would spin up, mean while on my Mac, I could use it, but every time something needed to use tha hard drive, that app would just beach ball out. So since the whole computer never sleeps anyway, I just made it so the hard drive never goes to sleep now, no more beeping, it was freeking me out for a while though, it the original drive from a dual 533 that I bought new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules