Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Supply Exchange Program

Power Supply Exchange Program (Page 3)
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 12:13 PM

Anyone in the Uk recieve the kit yet?

povvy
Apr 4, 2003, 08:08 PM

I received and installed my PSU/Fan kit today (Dual 867). Wow, very big difference! Even at max CPU (distibuted.net client running), the machine is quieter than it used to be at "resting."

Apple rocks.

Patrick.
povvy.com

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2003, 08:59 PM

For anyone who *just* got it how long was the wait between order and arrival?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

povvy
Apr 5, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
For anyone who *just* got it how long was the wait between order and arrival?
I ordered on February 23. I think this was a couple days after the program started. I received it today via AirBorne Express.

Patrick.
povvy.com

pjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
Anyone in the Uk recieve the kit yet?
Marc,

I've just got back from a few days away and the kit was waiting for me. I'm in the UK.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 07:15 PM

Argg. I missed teh AirBorne Express guy. I'll have to wait till Monday to experience some silence. Oh well.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by pjay:
Marc,

I've just got back from a few days away and the kit was waiting for me. I'm in the UK.
Cheers for the heads up... By any chance did you order on the announcement day?

I ordered mine a few hours after the anouncement, and I have heard nothing from them since...!

I'm beginnning to wonder what kind of order they would be sent out in...

Cheers,

Marc

pjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 11:10 AM

I ordered on the day of announcement, late on the Friday evening (about 11pm I think). I guess this would have been about 3pm in California.

I've just fitted the kit and my Powermac is now acceptably quiet. Very nice, I can even hear the hard drive accessing.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 11:55 PM

Has anyone noticed that there is a lower pitched whirring noise? Is it possible that I didn't fit everything in properly?

Thanks,
Josh

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2003, 10:43 PM

still no news on the verax kit? what price range is it supposed to be release at?
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 03:59 AM

Just got my kit installed a few hours ago. It did certainly make this Mac more tolerable, although I'm not exactly jumping for joy. The noise seems to be lower pitched, and more prone to grinding and "gearing." Still, it's progress.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 04:19 AM

lol sad thing is i coulda had that replacement kit installed inside my mac happily in about 20 mins max.... depending on the amount of screws lol.

I guess that's thanks to my h4x0r PC building skills lol
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 09:08 PM

Well the noise is fine for a while now. But it slowly gets louder and louder as time goes by. It sounds like the "deisel" situation Eugene was describing. It seems to be related to the 120mm getting faster and faster.

Back to the drawing board...

isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 11:24 PM

I just installed my new power supply and fan, and every once in a while, there's a very noticable sound that sounds like a small gear or motor is activating. It only lasts a second, and it's gone, but it's really freaking me out. Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 11:59 PM

"WHAT? No I CAN"T HEAR YOU! I'M USING A POWER MAC! YES IT"S LOUD!"

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss...

I'm tempted to volley this raging POS through the front window of the nearest Apple store.

edit: can't think straight with the headache from the noise.
( Last edited by JB72; Apr 9, 2003 at 12:05 AM. )

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 12:47 AM

Included FREE with all new Power Macs*

* $19.95 shipping and handling charge applies

xdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 02:56 AM

Hey Isotropy. I've been hearing the same noise. Kind of sounds like the read head parking itself in one of the drives. But it is louder and I think it happens too often.

Anyone?

Originally posted by isotropy:
I just installed my new power supply and fan, and every once in a while, there's a very noticable sound that sounds like a small gear or motor is activating. It only lasts a second, and it's gone, but it's really freaking me out. Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks.

Phil Quinney
Apr 9, 2003, 07:03 AM

Hey,

I'm, hearing this noise as well (the very short gear noise). I was going to stick my head inside to see what it was exactly b ut haven't had chance yet.

If anyone finds a fix let us all know so we can be even quieter!

Thanks,

Phil.

isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 12:23 PM

I think it might be the superdrive laser parking, but I'm pretty sure I would have heard this noise with the old fans. I have a feeling that it's one of the new parts making the noise, but I'm not sure which one it is, or what to do about it.

Anyone??

Phil Quinney
Apr 9, 2003, 06:07 PM

isotropy,

I don't think it is the SuperDrive, as I only have the Combo Drive in my machine.

Maybe both drives do it though...

Phil.
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 867 256MB
PowerBook 12" Revision C 768MB

xdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 01:00 AM

Yeah same here, I only have the combo drive. And I'm pretty certain I heard it before the fan swap. But of course, now I can really hear it.

Phil Quinney
Apr 10, 2003, 08:02 AM

I think it is going to be the case that we hear a lot of the "noise quirks" of this machine now that things other than the fans can be heard.

Still, the investigation continues...

Phil.

loh
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 04:05 PM

Ive been hearing that noise you are describing for months since I replaced the power supply fans myself. I decided that it either comes from the combo drive, or the IBM hard drive. The hard drive will also make a clicking noise every so often, then a beep. These IBM drives are known for their failure.
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Phil Quinney
Apr 10, 2003, 08:18 PM

Hmmm, I don't like the word failure, could we find a new one?

Failure is attributed with large outlays of money...

Phil.

itpga
Apr 12, 2003, 10:02 AM

I got my replacement power supply and main fan but I noticed already before installing that the fan (main fan) did not move freely, in fact it was difficult to move it. I thought that it has to run for a few minutes for the fan or the gear inside to "wear in". But the noise of the fan once inside is like a Harley-Davidson twin. Any comments? I think that the gear inside the fan is faulty but since it's Saturday I can't call support.

Regards

itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 02:57 PM

installed it. it was a big pain, but I got it done. I broke the fan connector latch that the guide told me might happen, but it's ok. The only real major problem is that the new fan seems to have thicker edges than the other fan, which mean that I had to physically bend the metalic holding clamps so it would fit in.

After about 40 minutes of working, I finally got to turn it on, and I must say, it was worth it. It is so much quieter and produces so much less heat.

So all in all, replacement.

Phil Quinney
Apr 12, 2003, 06:44 PM

Those thicker edges have been the cause of problems for many people - but didn't you get the sheet that said to rotate the fan 90 degress - it slid in perfectly for me then.

Phil.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Phil Quinney:
Those thicker edges have been the cause of problems for many people - but didn't you get the sheet that said to rotate the fan 90 degress - it slid in perfectly for me then.

Phil.
Hmmm... I don't think so. Was it seperate?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 10:28 PM

yeah, it was separate.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 03:54 AM

OK. Well after investigated the noise more, it just seem slike my problems come from the CPUs getting hot, causing the 120mm Pabst to speed up. Thinking about using some Arctic Silver 3 to potentially shave a few degrees off their temp.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 07:22 PM

got my kit a week or two ago but only now had a chance to install it. It's Great now! I can't believe how loud it was before. I was working all day and decided to take a break and install the thing. And now it's a lot quieter than it was.

Not having a magnetic screwdriver... The screw above the first hard drive carrier (Verticle) was a PAIN to put back. I had to balance the screw on the screwdriver, tilt the machine a little bit so I wouldn't be putting the screw in totally horizontal and just DO IT! it took a couple of tries but finally it went in... Now for some lunch... (dope it 6:30pm!) snack...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

fady
Apr 14, 2003, 07:27 PM

Will install and post some pictures and will let you all know of the difference....

F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

fady
Apr 14, 2003, 09:21 PM

Yes, it's true, I can hear it scratching away as I load apps or save large files!

check this site i made in two seconds...

http://homepage.mac.com/fady/noise/

F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

vasu
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 01:33 PM

Just installed my kit, took about 30 minutes, not bad at all.

It's MUCH MUCH quieter now. Not dead silent or anything, but definately a pleasant surprise

I can now hear the hard drive (as others have said). I also heard a weird whine for about 2-3 seconds. I remember hearing it before, but I thought it was just the fan/powersupply, but seeing as those have been replaced, I'm not sure what makes that sound...

-vasu

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 12:16 AM

Installed my new power supply and fan. I've done a lot of work with computers before, but I've gotta say this was one of the most irritating things I've had to do... Probably would've been better with a nicer screwdriver though

Runs much quieter now... but there's a very faint high pitched sound coming from something that's kind of annoying... either way, it's MUCH better than before!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 01:17 PM

I ordered mine a few hours after the anouncement, and I have heard nothing from them since...!

I'm beginnning to wonder what kind of order they would be sent out in...

Cheers,

Marc
I just received mine, and i'm in the UK. I ordered about a week after the form went up, and had no shipping email or anything.

Installed fine and the noise is very definately reduced a lot.

vasu
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 07:49 PM

For those wondering what the odd noise coming from their quieter MDDs is (that short whine/whurr gear noise), it is indeed the IBM Hard Drive.

I pulled the optical drives out, and it still made the noise.

Another thought I had about the diesel engine noise. I don't get this noise when I first turn the machine or wake it up. But after it warms up a bit it seems the fan spins a little faster and then produces the chug chug chug noise. However, if I'm then just idling reading a web page, the fan seems to go a bit slower and the chug chug chug is gone.

So I was thinking of maybe putting some of that silver thermal paste on the cpus under the heatsink, which would keep the cpus running at a lower temperature for the most part, and might keep the fan from kicking up a notch...

-vasu

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I just received mine, and i'm in the UK. I ordered about a week after the form went up, and had no shipping email or anything.

Installed fine and the noise is very definately reduced a lot.
Cheers for the info. Still not got mine yet...

Although as the machine is with Apple being fixed, I guess it makes no odds...

Think I'll give them one more week to come up with the goods before calling them up...

Cheers,

Marc

sunrunnerfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 08:59 PM

Paid for and registered for the new components fabout a month ago...still havent heard a thing ... oh well
...Playing the worlds most dangerous
game of hide and seek.
Check out www.intel-ops.com, you
wont be disappointed.

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 09:33 PM

I just installed my new power supply and fan. It only took me 30 minutes to install and it sure makes a difference. The instructions were very clear and easy to understand. Now my powermac dual 867 starts up with a soft hum instead of the loud sound of a fan spinning out of control. I also noticed that my work room is not as warm. I think before I changed out the power supply and fan, my area was pretty warm to hot. I think the old fan was just blowing too much hot air. Anyway, this new fan and power supply is working quite well. Anyone else had an easy time with the new power supply and fan?

deepdarkfunky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 05:58 PM

Odd, Apple seems to have shipped me 2 sets of the PSU kit... Anyone else get two shipments?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 09:26 AM

Cheers for the info. Still not got mine yet...

Although as the machine is with Apple being fixed, I guess it makes no odds...

Think I'll give them one more week to come up with the goods before calling them up...

Cheers,

Marc
Mystery solved. Sent out 4 weeks ago.... To the wrong address.

All this despite me phoning 3 times to make sure the order address was changed to my current one.

To make matters worse, they are now out if stock and it will take 3 weeks for me have another sent out!!

Cheers Apple.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 11:45 AM

Well, I am in the UK, and my kit has just arrived.

I ordered mine on 25th March (well after the programme started), and it arrived today, less than a month later.

It took me about 25 minutes to fit it, and...

WOW! Quiet!

It is a lower pitched hum than before, and qualitatively a great deal quieter. I have no way of quantitatively test though.

All the best
AJ

d_oob
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2003, 08:29 PM

some sort of numbers as to how many decibals difference we're hearing here. I don't really know what quiet or loud would be like since i don't have anything to compare to.

Maybe i'm just use to the fan noise and don't
really realize what i'm missing out on. It could be that this is the first tower i've bought in long time.

Are we talking super quiet like G4 cube quiet?
How quiet is it really? compared to what.

vasu
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 10:00 PM

quiter than a jet hitting mach 1 right over your house

d_oob
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
quiter than a jet hitting mach 1 right over your house
come on! seriously. i haven't seen anything as
to the noise being compared to what. How am
i suppose to really know what a quiet fan and
power supply would sound like?

Now to answer your serious reply. HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO WORK WHEN YOUR COMPUTER IS THAT LOUD YOU DORK?!?

hahaha.. mach 1 up your ass!

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2003, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by d_oob:
come on! seriously. i haven't seen anything as to the noise being compared to what. How am i suppose to really know what a quiet fan and power supply would sound like?

Now to answer your serious reply. HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO WORK WHEN YOUR COMPUTER IS THAT LOUD YOU DORK?!?

hahaha.. mach 1 up your ass!
See here, here and especially here. You may have to spend a little time reading, but the answer certainly is in there.

The noise from mine was noticeable from another room, and my flatmates commented on it. The new is much quieter, and can no longer be heard from another room. I'd say that my laser printer is now about the same noise level as the MDD G4.

IIRC, the change is in the order of 7dBa (but I could be talking rubbish, as it was a while ago that i read about the quantitative changes). Remember decibels are on logarithmic scale, so that is a big change. However, the most important thing is that the hum is lower in pitch, whereas the older PSU and CPU fan were high pitched.

On a side note, I was looking at some of the shipping reports on g4noise.com and here, and I must have been incredibly lucky to get my kit so quickly. Apple gods must have smiled on me.

All the best, and hope this goes someway to explaining a few things
AJ

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 08:56 AM

Just got my d867 and the fan kit in the same place at the same time, and got it installed...

Very, very impressive... the machine is now whister quiet... Way to go Apple.

Peace,

Marc

derekn
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 12:40 AM

Got my Power supply and fan replacements on Thursday, ordered April 1st (no joke LOL). Will be installing sometime next week.

JB72
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 11:51 PM

Just random FYI, I just installed a copper heatsink from the FW800s in my dual gig MDD. The 120mm fan hasn't yet gone into it's hyper-active mode, but it's only been a few hours.

Here's some pics from another who did the same: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/M....html#storytop

- - -
JB's quiet product Seal of Approval

Forum Links
Forum Rules