Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Just bought a SE T630

Just bought a SE T630
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 02:02 AM

It should be arriving on Monday, I got the white model. Mobile Burn has a pretty good review of the phone. I'm trading up from a T610, I'm sick of everyone having the same phone as me....Soon these phones will be the "freebees"...ahh the life on the bleeding edge!

Anyone else have one yet? Enjoy it?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 02:38 AM

Aren't they already? I'm already seeing T610s at -$190 after rebate.

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 03:54 AM

No I mean the T630s....They aren't the free ones...yet

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 04:10 AM

I just bought a t610 for about $80 (500 SEK) in Sweden... you just gotta love the good cheap stuff!
DI

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 06:46 PM

I saw the black version of T630 in Europe.. (for T-Mobile).

When will T-Mobile USA offer this black version of T630? and how much?

I am dying to upgrade to a new phone.. I am still using the old Nokia 8290 (from 2000)... I can switch to any provider I want since my contract has been expired long time ago.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 19, 2004, 12:04 AM

I just the T610 a few weeks back. I thought about the T630, but didn't think the price premium was justified, considering that the phones are almost identical.

But yeah, it's a nice phone.

wschultz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 03:20 PM

Hey Eug -

How is the reception on your T610?
The only negative thing I've read in reviews on the 610 is poor reception. I live in Minneapolis, MN.

Is there anything else different on the 630 from the 610 that would make it worth waiting for?

Does anyone know when the T630 will be available directly through T-Mobile?
( Last edited by wschultz; Apr 26, 2004 at 03:36 PM. )

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by wschultz:
Hey Eug -

How is the reception on your T610?
The only negative thing I've read in reviews on the 610 is poor reception. I live in Minneapolis, MN.

Is there anything else different on the 630 from the 610 that would make it worth waiting for?

Does anyone know when the T630 will be available directly through T-Mobile?
The t616 has a much stronger antenna then the t610 but the 616 is for the 850 band if your carrier has it.

The 630 has slightly better software when sending text messages like a buddy list but that is it.

I thought the t630 looked better when I saw pictures of it but in person it looked kinda cheap. The black version looks really cool though. The t61x looks much better all round though.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Target Practice
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
I thought the t630 looked better when I saw pictures of it but in person it looked kinda cheap. The black version looks really cool though. The t61x looks much better all round though.
Last week I sent my T610 to Global Mobility and had the screen swapped out for a T630/T637 screen and also had the firmware upgraded to the latest T630 firmware. For all intents and purposes, I got a T630 in a T610 body for $70 plus shipping.

I liked the T630 screen but didn't like its plastic housing. I'm all set until the K700 hits the market.

BTW, I also recently bought a P900 and was frustrated that the Bluetooth integration with the Address Book wasn't as slick as the T6XX models. Oh well, early adopters can't be too picky.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
The t616 has a much stronger antenna then the t610
No it doesn't - it is the same AFAIK. The main thing is that as you said, the T616 has the 850 band, which a lot of North American providers use. For me it's irrelevant, since my carrier doesn't use 850.

The T610 is true world phone, but not as good on some carriers in the US and Canada. The T616 is better on some carriers (not mine) in the US and Canada, but doesn't have as good support overseas.

The T630 is the replacement for the T610, not the T616.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
No it doesn't - it is the same AFAIK. T
No it does. Just about every site confirms this and you can even swap the antennas if you wanted to.

http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/270811-1.html

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
No it does. Just about every site confirms this and you can even swap the antennas if you wanted to.

http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/270811-1.html
I stand corrected.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 11:42 AM

The T630 is a phone I've been wanting to get for awhile now. The only thing holding me back is the $500+ (Cdn) price tag Anyone, know where I can get a deal on this phone in the Vanouver/Richmond area?

Thanks
Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
The T630 is a phone I've been wanting to get for awhile now. The only thing holding me back is the $500+ (Cdn) price tag Anyone, know where I can get a deal on this phone in the Vanouver/Richmond area?

Thanks
Noah
Ya, ebay.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 04:29 PM

The white model, eh!, from the review:
"My review unit was white and the first impression I had of it was that it looked as if it was designed by Apple."

Originally posted by iDriveX:
I got the white model. Mobile Burn has a pretty good review of the phone...

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 04:46 PM

T637 looks nice. (T630 but with 850 band)

I am looking at the T637 or the nokia 6230... So many choices.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 06:01 PM

Was the white T630 ever released in the states, or only in Asia?

Even though I prefer the white T630, if the black T637 was the only one to make it over on this end, I'd take it. I just hope we get one of these phones in Canada.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 06:27 PM

Was the white T630 ever released in the states, or only in Asia?
AFAIK, No US cell phone company has the T630. T-mobile is the only company that offers phones without 850 as their network is all 1900. ATT used to but learned from that mistake.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
AFAIK, No US cell phone company has the T630. T-mobile is the only company that offers phones without 850 as their network is all 1900. ATT used to but learned from that mistake.
Well, I did some shopping around in my area and found quite a few stores carrying the T630 and the T637. The price range seems to be $500-$550 Cdn. Unfortunately, all the stores I visited had a "no return policy" for these particular models. The reason for this policy is probbably due to them being open world phones brought over from China. They're not really supposed to be selling them over here.

So advantages

- not just limited to one phone company; open/unlocked
- cool factor of owning a phone that noone else has

Disadvantages

- no ability to return phone if something goes wrong
- a lot more expensive than buying a locked phone

Decisions, decisions...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 03:22 PM

Well, I did some shopping around in my area and found quite a few stores carrying the T630 and the T637.
Where the heck did you find a t637?

You can also buy it locked and have it unlocked yourself for $50 or less.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Where the heck did you find a t637?
Do you live near the Richmond/Vancouver area?

The T637 looks even better in person!

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You can also buy it locked and have it unlocked yourself for $50 or less.
I have not come across a SINGLE store in my area (a large area) that sells the T630 or T637 locked. The service providers here have chosen not to officially carry these models. With the exception of Rogers, who may get the T637 near the end of June, anyone living in Western Canada should not expect any other service provider here to officially support either of these phones.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 04:26 PM

I was interested in this phone but now that I have had a Sony for a while, I�m just not happy with the reception. My old phone from Telus was a Samsung and it had the best reception and menus I have ever seen on a cell phone, and I�m happy to say that I finally found a Samsung that�s GPRS and will be getting it over the T637. Unfortunately it�s a world phone not carried here so I am looking at a $500 price tag on it as well.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

orbital~debris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2004, 12:42 PM

I use a Sony Ericsson T630 with my G3 iMac.

The phone itself is cool, very easy to use and fairly nice interface. The operating system reminds me of early Nokias, and seems like an evolution of the original Nokia interfaces. Plus, it's a hundred times better than my previous phone, a Samsung T100. That had really bad GUI design, and was very inconsistent with regards to texting input methods and menu structure. (The one thing i wish the T630 had from the Samsung is the funky 7 colour changing LED!)

Didn't pay anything for the SE T630 - here in England the phone shops basically work on the premise of getting you locked into a 12-month contract, heavily subsidising the handset prices in order to do so.

The phone didn't seem to connect with Address Book for stuff like initiating calls and seeing who was calling from the Mac, so i did a little research and discovered that i needed to add 1 line of text to a config file to get the T630 to be recognised. It works well now, and it's really good to be able to text people from my Apple keyboard (even quicker than T9 predictive character input!). The only problem with using Address Book is that it doesn't seem to support Long SMS (text) messages, so you can only do 160 character SMS via Address Book. However, syncing the T630 via Bluetooth works flawlessly - it's so cool to just let iSync do its stuff, and then all your contact details are there on the phone.

Apart from that, the Sony Ericsson seems to work harmoniously with my Mac, and I've not even explored extra capabilities with software like 'Salling Clicker' yet...

Oh and my girlfriend has got the same phone, and despite not yet being fully wise in the ways-of-the-Mac, and she likes it too. She now wants her own Mac to go with it

The only issue we've had with our phones is that the software/firmware seems a bit glitchy, and the left buttons on the keypad on my phone are a bit 'sticky' making it hard to text as you don't get enough tactile feedback on key presses. We think it's probably just a dodgy initial batch of the phones (when we got the phones back in January, nowhere had heard of the T630, and when we did find somewhere that had them, they only had the black - we wanted white to go with our iPods! Eventually got a couple of the first white models in the country).

The store we bought them from are being a bit dodgy, we just want to swap the handsets out for replacements of the same model. They want to send them away to be repaired, which will cost us time without the phones & money. All this despite having attempted to tell them of the issues with our particular phones since a few weeks after we got them.

Overall, though, i have more against the store than the phone. Apart from these small problems the phones seem well made and designed - reminiscent of Apple's industrial design...

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 08:57 AM

I just got a T630 last w/e. Nice phone indeed, although T-Mobile (I'm new to them) have hindered the functionality by turning the right-softkey from 'More' to that stupid t-zones rubbish.

It literally took me 45 minutes to find out how to lock the key-pad, the manual simply refers to the 'More' key and not even T-Mobile could tell me that I have to press 'C' instead! Does anyone know if I can get the normal firmware put on it, and if so how much I can expect to pay?

Just got to order myself a bluetooth adaptor now. I've seen the DBT-120 for about �25 inc. VAT & Delivery. Does it have to be the DBT-120 or can I use some other one?

Cheers,

biscuit

orbital~debris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Just got to order myself a bluetooth adaptor now. I've seen the DBT-120 for about �25 inc. VAT & Delivery. Does it have to be the DBT-120 or can I use some other one?
biscuit,

I'm using the D-Link Bluetooth DBT-120, and it works fine with the T630 for syncing Address Book. However, as i mentioned perviously, to get the T630 to interact with the computer (i.e. for stuff like placing a call from your Mac or sending a text), you will need to change a line of code so that Address Book can connect to it. Here's where i found instructions:
MacOSXHints tip

Note: I followed the instructions as detailed at MacOSXHints, but as one of the most recent comments suggests, it may not be possible to perform this modification any longer... I checked on my Mac, and the file you have to change does not seem to be there any more. I suspect this changed in the recent 10.3.3 maintenance update. (i made the necessary change pre 10.3.3 and the file was definitely there!).

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2004, 03:41 AM

Thanks orbital~debris, I had a look inside Address Book and sure enough the file is there exactly as described in the hint. Still no entry for the T630, but I think I'll hold off changing it until I actually have the bluetooth dongle!

That reminds me actually, I still have to order it...

biscuit

-Q-
May 6, 2004, 10:21 AM

I just ordered one of these myself. I'm hoping it will be here Friday as my current phone is dead.

As soon as I get it I'll test out that hint to add the T630 to the address book profile.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 05:28 PM

Anyone with a Mac should get SE T610/630/Z600.

wschultz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 12:00 AM

-Q-
which carrier did you get your T630 from in GA?
here in MN it is not yet available
i'm wondering if I should just get the T610 from Tmobile while its basically free.

teknik
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 12:41 AM

-Q-
i'm wondering if I should just get the T610 from Tmobile while its basically free.
Go for it! Most Minneapolis users agree that the T610/616 is giggity bomb!

Hash
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 12:07 PM

A stupid question, never tried it.. can you use bluetooth to move say mp3 to phone to use as call sounds?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
A stupid question, never tried it.. can you use bluetooth to move say mp3 to phone to use as call sounds?
I think you can only use MP3's on the P800 and P900

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 01:14 PM

I've got a T610, I'm pretty sure you can't transfer MP3 files over the bluetooth to use as ringtones, but you can definitely use MIDI .mid files as polyphonic tones. I know this because I've done it, I currently have the muppet show as my ring .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

wschultz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 04:13 PM

thanks for the info teknik.
where in mpls are you? (i'm in uptown) is there a mpls users site or something?
is the reception good w/ the T610 in mpls? (reception is the only negative thing i can find reviewed by people on this phone)

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by orbital~debris:
biscuit,

I'm using the D-Link Bluetooth DBT-120, and it works fine with the T630 for syncing Address Book. However, as i mentioned perviously, to get the T630 to interact with the computer (i.e. for stuff like placing a call from your Mac or sending a text), you will need to change a line of code so that Address Book can connect to it. Here's where i found instructions:
MacOSXHints tip
I have a good feeling that this may be fixed very soon, if you decide you don't want to patch it.

-- james

-Q-
May 11, 2004, 10:33 AM

-Q-
I actually ordered it through a web site that specializes in selling unlocked GSM phones called Cellular Concepts. There are other sites out there that offer the phone but I specifically wanted the black one.

It was supposed to be here yesterday, but of course the FedEx guy chose to stop by the precise moment I ran out for lunch. *sigh* But I hope to have it this afternoon to test it with T-mobile and the bluetooth.

It's not a cheap phone. Fortunately, I get to write it off as a business expense, so I wasn't too concerned about that. But if the 610 is free for you, I'd get that.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 12:20 PM

I have a Black T630 and it work perfectly with my iMac.
Address Book works as expected, no patches required.
And Sailing Clicker is brilliant.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules