Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LCD or CRT for new monitor...

LCD or CRT for new monitor...
isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2001, 12:06 PM

I've got a decision to make in the next few weeks... I currently have a 7500 upgraded to the tilt, which is connected to a 6 year old 17" Apple monitor. This monitor has been showing signs of old age for a while now, and I think it's close to death.

I'm going to be getting a new G4 next year, and I had my heart set on getting an apple 17" LCD to go along with it. But the monitor I have right now probably won't last me that long, so I have to get a replacement soon.

Now, I have to make the decision on whether or not to get the LCD now, and get an ATI PCI card plus a DVIlator to hook it up to my 7500, OR get a high quality 19" Lacie CRT monitor. It seems foolish to spend so much money on the PCI card with the DVIator since I'm only going to be using them for less than a year.

I'm going to be doing mostly graphic design and video editing on my G4, so I'm wondering if getting the CRT monitor would be the best choice anyways since the color is more accurate. But I really wanted that LCD. What would you do in this situation? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Numbers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by isotropy:
<STRONG>...I currently have a 7500 upgraded to the tilt, which is connected to a 6 year old 17" Apple monitor....

...get the LCD now, and get an ATI PCI card plus a DVIlator to hook it up to my 7500, OR get a high quality 19" Lacie CRT monitor....

...Any and all suggestions are appreciated.</STRONG>
isotropy,

No fair! You've gotten 6 years out of a 17 inch Apple monitor! I love my 7500, but I've not had good luck with monitors. My first 17 inch monitor (a 1710) lasted 11 months. After some back and forth games, Apple admitted that in could not be repaired. They gave me a 17 inch Color Sync which lasted 3 years, dying just a few weeks ago. (I bought my G4 about 6 months ago.)

So, I bought Apple's 17 inch LCD. I can't tell much about its use for a graphic artist, but for my home use, it is one great monitor. I don't know how long it'll last, but I'll look 'til it dies.

If you can wait, and the LCD is your selection, I imagine the price will fall. Of course when you buy your G4, that DVIator will not be needed...unless you buy a 15 inch LCD for the 7500...

Joe

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2001, 10:17 PM

The monitor you get will ultimately depend on what you want it for.

CRT monitors are very god for multiscanning (changing resolutions) because they are not a fixed grid like LCDs. This helps in environments where more than one computer is being used on a single monitor. They also have a much faster response time than LCDs. CRTs are also a lot more color accurate than LCDs, but the Apple monitors are quickly closing that gap. They are also much cheaper than LCD, but again, Apple is closing that gap with a quickness.

The drawbacks of CRT are that the screen is essentially a very fast strobe light, and this can lead to eye strain and flicker. They are very susceptible to magnetic interference (from speakers, for example). They are also very large and heavy.

LCD monitors are good for looking at for long periods of time, because the pixels do not strobe. LCD monitors simply update the color of a pixel, rather than the whole pixel itself. This is why an LCD at 60Hz is perfectly usable, while a CRT at 60Hz is very painful to look at. They are also very light and small.

LCD monitors have a much slower response time than CRTs. This can be seen by moving a mouse cursor around on a screen. Notice there is a trail. You never see those with CRTs. This can lead to video artifacts while watching movies and playing games. LCDs are also a fixed grid of pixels, so running at less than the optimum resolution will result in the image being blurred by pixel interpolation.

Hope this helps.

capone
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 04:06 PM

I would get a CRT. They are cheaper and last longer.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

<samsungsam>
Sep 2, 2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by capone:
<STRONG>I would get a CRT. They are cheaper and last longer.</STRONG>
RIGHT!! Just ask Numbers.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 3, 2001, 05:13 AM

Actually, I'm also am looking at getting a new monitor. I thought of getting an Apple LCD (for my G3 desktop), but thought they were designed to work with a G4???

The reason I need a monitor, my 17" Apple Studio Display is dying (after about 27 months of constant use), and according to everything I've read at the Apple Discussion board, the behavior is an indicator of an imminent death. (It flickers, goes to black, the power light pulses between green and yellow. Small white vertical lines appear in the center of the screen. It tries to come back, but then goes back to black, etc.)

The monitor I'm considering is a 17" Samsung LCD. Has anyone used one/does anyone own one? The Samsung displays are highly rated in MacWorld magazine, but I haven't tried one yet.

Sony and LaCie CRT's seem pretty nice, too. But I don't believe that CRT's last longer than LCD monitors. And the LCD's I've seen seem to be very close to the quality of CRT's. Anyone more thoughts on this?

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Samsung LCD.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 05:26 PM

Seems DVIator has a problem with 9.2.1 so there is always that to consider. I've had a 15" LCD for two years and love it, no "trails" or sign of aging. Has outlasted three or four Apple CRTs for sure. And each year of use is that much less eye strain, power use, size, and reduced ELF as well.

But you may need Radeon PCI and make sure that will work, they're a great card but some reports on xlr8yourmac.com there may be some interaction with other cards, G4 upgrades, etc on 7500.

isotropy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2001, 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll be going with the 19" CRT monitor. My monitor is dying fast, and I dont' want to spend all the extra money on a new video card and the DVIator...

Maybe I should just break down and get the dual 800 G4 instead of waiting for the dual 1Ghz that I want

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules