Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Best use for an 8500

Best use for an 8500
malson
Senior User
Aug 31, 2001, 10:11 PM

I have just received a new Dual 800 to replace my venerable 8500/150. What are some possible uses for the 8500 now? I don't want to just stick it on a shelf somewhere and forget it. Currently, all it's doing is crunching blocks for RC5 Any other suggestions?
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2001, 10:30 PM

Hmm... I wish I could afford a dual 800 G4...

Guess I'll just sit here with my 7600 and continue to like using a Mac.

If I just got a new Mac, I'd do one of three things.

1. Give it to a relative who doesn't own a computer
2. Donate it to a local charity or school
3. Sell it

capone
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 04:04 PM

If you get a G3 upgrade, give it some more RAM, and throw in a cheap video card you can have a nice multiplayer setup. Just network the two and you can get Unreal Tournament going with some friends. Even now you can install Starcraft and have some fun.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2001, 12:22 PM

My favourite use for an old box is a MP3 Jukebox.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2001, 11:22 AM

I took my 8500 - 120 and upgraded it to a 150, upgraded the L2 cache to 1MB, the ram to 176MB (1 bad 16 in it), and the video to 4MB and it makes a great machine for old games, IM, web access, typing, etc. And a great backup comp.
Apple doesn't make em like they used to.
Mine mostly runs RC5 though.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2001, 11:25 AM

I took my 8500 - 120 and upgraded it to a 150, upgraded the L2 cache to 1MB, the ram to 176MB (1 bad 16 in it), and the video to 4MB and it makes a great machine for old games, IM, web access, typing, etc. And a great backup comp.
Apple doesn't make em like they used to.
Mine mostly runs RC5 though.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2001, 02:17 PM

I clocked my 8500 to 450mHz with a Powerlogix G3 upgrade. I don't think the G4 will really benefit these older architectures too much unless you are doing a *ton* of photoshop. I think the bus speeds are too slow to really get the advantage and for their price don't consider it the best option.

I sugggest getting the fastest G3 upgrade you can get and a decent video card (rage128 or so) which could put you out about $400. But then you could actually run OSX on this machine. I've done it with the help of Ryan Rempel's installer for unsupported machines. It actually performs fairly well with more than 128MB of RAM.

But you can use it as a gaming station to network with other machines and have a blast. If gaming isn't your thing an MP3 jukebox is also a great suggestion. I use mine as a spare computer for gaming, a dedicated scanning station (my wife and I are graphic artists), and for watching videos through our VCR and into the RCA in on this machine. Otherwise an internet firewall/webserver or simple fileserver would be cool for a more hardcore network guru.

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules