Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New monitor for 7500, and new G4

New monitor for 7500, and new G4
isotropy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 12:16 PM

I'm looking to get a new monitor for my aging PowerMac 7500, since the one I have is limited to 1024X768. I'd like to get a monitor that does at least 1280X1024.

I was thinking about getting a new G4 early next year, and I'd like the new monitor to be compatible with it. That probably means that I'll have to get one with one of the new ADC connectors. Does Apple or anyone else offer an adapter that I can use to hook up one of the new monitors to my 7500?

Any info or pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks,

WillyB
Jan 26, 2001, 09:41 PM

Your "1-Stop" shop for video accessories...
http://www.telalink.net/~griffin
~Bill
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

Allah
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2001, 04:59 AM

They both have a svga viseo port
Carp� Bandwidth

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2001, 06:02 PM

Why? 1280X1024 does make things a bit tiny. Unless your monitor is kaput, save your eyesite and a few $$$ and hold off 'til you get that G4. If it is dead, look at any one of the Mitsubishi monitors. They're consistently good. I would recommend a good video card, maybe upgrade to a G3 or G4 card and get some extra RAM. You'll be zipping along on that "aging" 7500 for just a few $! It's a good box with lots of life in it. It can take care of things until a G5 comes along, that's when to buy that G4 cheap!!!

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2001, 11:44 AM

The new G4s also have a standard VGA port so you can hook up any monitor you want.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2001, 10:29 PM

Right. The new G4s can have either an ATI Rage 128 Pro, ATI Radeon or nVidia MX card in them depending on which model you choose and how you have it built. The currently shipping Apple OEM versions of all three cards have BOTH VGA and the new ADC connectors on them so you are not limited to just using an Apple display with them. Therefore you can buy any standard monitor with a VGA connector and share it between the 7500 and the newest Macs.

[This message has been edited by snodman (edited 02-09-2001).]

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 12:44 PM

It's been a common misconception that the Cubes and G4s introduced at MWNY 2000 only had ADC ports. As people mentioned above, they come with VGA as well. People got fired up only because the gorgeous new monitors only supported ADC, so people with older computers had nowhere to turn except resellers offering used or refurbished products (on the assumption they've long since sold out of the prior Apple Studio Displays)

Forum Links
Forum Rules