Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OS 9.2 trys to load Office X - Solution...?

OS 9.2 trys to load Office X - Solution...?
Dinis P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2001, 04:47 PM

Since I haveOffice X installed, whenever I double-click an Office file (Word, Powerpoint...whatever), OS 9.2 trys to load Offixe X, which of course isn't possible.

This isn't really no big deal for me, but I've noted one small thing: OS X apps don't have any file type / creator code. If you look at them trough OS 9 you'll see generic icons... But wait, Office X apps have the same file type / creator code than OS 9's Office apps! And that's why OS 9 try to load it...it searches for the creator of the file I double-clicked and the most recent version of the app with that creator code is Office X!

So my question is: since OS X apps don't have type / creator codes, would Office X work fine if I just delete the type / creator code using ResEDIT in OS 9?

I'm sure this could end with this problem...

Dinis

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2001, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Dinis P:
<STRONG>OS 9.2 trys to load Offixe X, which of course isn't possible.</STRONG>
Why? aren't they carbon apps?
Can't they be used in 9?

Dinis P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2001, 05:36 PM

iTunes and Internet Explorer for X, for example, are carbon and can't run in OS 9.

And among Office requirementes you'll find OS X...
OS 9 gives an error message when trying to run it

Cheers
Dinis

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2001, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>

Why? aren't they carbon apps?
Can't they be used in 9?</STRONG>

They are Carbon but they use the Quartz drawing API which is not implemented on Mac OS 9.x (nor will it ever be)

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2001, 07:59 PM

Try deleting the 3 files that start with LS in your OSX preferences folder. It's equivalent to the OSX Desktop Files.

Originally posted by Dinis P:
<STRONG>Since I haveOffice X installed, whenever I double-click an Office file (Word, Powerpoint...whatever), OS 9.2 trys to load Offixe X, which of course isn't possible.

This isn't really no big deal for me, but I've noted one small thing: OS X apps don't have any file type / creator code. If you look at them trough OS 9 you'll see generic icons... But wait, Office X apps have the same file type / creator code than OS 9's Office apps! And that's why OS 9 try to load it...it searches for the creator of the file I double-clicked and the most recent version of the app with that creator code is Office X!

So my question is: since OS X apps don't have type / creator codes, would Office X work fine if I just delete the type / creator code using ResEDIT in OS 9?

I'm sure this could end with this problem...

Dinis</STRONG>

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by dtc:
<STRONG>Try deleting the 3 files that start with LS in your OSX preferences folder. It's equivalent to the OSX Desktop Files.

</STRONG>
Might work under OSX, but does anyone know how to fix the problem when you're booted into 9.2.1? Im having a very similar problem to the original poster:

All my Office files opens up with Office X, when I want the to open up in office 2001, since im booted into 9.2.1.
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

chomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2002, 11:35 PM

sorry, i have no solution to your problem! just wanted to bump the topic, since i have a similiar problem
i have 9.2 and OS X on the same partition - office 98 on the classic partition, and office X on the OSX one. all my previously created office documents now won't open when i double-click them, it says "you must run office X to open this document"

a work-around is to open word 98 then opening manually the file, but i would like to be able to open my files with the usual double-click.

hope someone can help..

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 11:41 PM

Here I come to save the day.....

You need Save A BNDL: http://www.versiontracker.com/redir....A_BNDL_1.4.sit

What ya gotta do, is NOT to drag your docs to it (as the instructions say), but your classic apps to it. Yes, the apps.

Just used this today to fix my boss' powerbook.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

chomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 06:37 PM

CJ Moof, my hero

Save A BNDL did the trick. And I can now sleep in peace.

Forum Links
Forum Rules