Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office X free 30 day trial

Office X free 30 day trial
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 09:25 PM

There is a 30 day trial version for download (and on CD after Jan 14th) on Microsoft's Mactopia website.

Does anyone know if there is going to be an academic price for this version of Office? I don't want to have to pay full price for it (yes, I am legitimately a student). They have an academic price for Office 2001, but I haven't found one for the X version.

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 11:01 PM

A lot of students have reported ordering Office X already on other forums. You might want to investigate a bit.

Originally posted by wallinbl:
<STRONG>There is a 30 day trial version for download (and on CD after Jan 14th) on Microsoft's Mactopia website.

Does anyone know if there is going to be an academic price for this version of Office? I don't want to have to pay full price for it (yes, I am legitimately a student). They have an academic price for Office 2001, but I haven't found one for the X version.</STRONG>

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 12:28 AM

If your school uses mostly Macintosh computers as its base, you could even try to see if you can get a copy for free. My school uses all Windows configurations, and some of us got clean installs of Windws XP.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

seabrian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 03:17 AM

Our school has a program available where we can purchase Mac Office 2001, Win OfficeXP, Visual Studio, and (very soon) Office v.X for OSX for $10 (all we get are cds and a cd key).

The school has some deal with our neighbors in Redmond.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 11:41 AM

Got my copy for about $200 under the academic license. I bought it through the apple store, but your campus computer or book store should either have it or be getting it soon.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 03:11 PM

Besides the topic of academic purchases...

I was just wondering that IF I get the 30 day trial, then decide to get the full retail, I was hoping that the beta files don't conflict with the retail ones. I'm still having some trouble understanding how certain programs can be uninstalled.
Go Dogcows!

MattCe
Jan 8, 2002, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>Besides the topic of academic purchases...

I was just wondering that IF I get the 30 day trial, then decide to get the full retail, I was hoping that the beta files don't conflict with the retail ones. I'm still having some trouble understanding how certain programs can be uninstalled.</STRONG>
The downloadable trial comes with an uninstaller which you should ALWAYS use before installing the regular version. The ReadMe says so.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 04:46 PM

I finally found the AE. There was a link from my school's website to an academic version of the Apple Store. It was $199 there.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 06:17 PM

Oh cool, thanks for the reply.
Go Dogcows!

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 07:41 AM

Will the uninstaller for the trial version remove my Entourage files (mail)? Can I continue using that stuff once I get the full version installed?

MattCe
Jan 9, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
<STRONG>Will the uninstaller for the trial version remove my Entourage files (mail)? Can I continue using that stuff once I get the full version installed?</STRONG>
No, Yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules