Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office v.X stability?

Office v.X stability?
Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 07:16 PM

All my Office v.X apps tend to unexpectedly quit several times a day, with no obvious pattern apparent. I checked into known issues like fonts, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Any others with this problem (running 10.1.1)? Office 98 seems far more stable, but I don't want to run Classic more than I need to, or boot in 9.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 07:45 PM

I've only really used Entourage and Word since I bought OfficeX. I've had no problems with stability in either program except for when Entourage checks Hotmail accounts. I know there is an update for this, but I've been unable to apply it for whatever reason.

Word seems to be great, although I will admit I haven't really pushed it. I've only dabbled around in Excel to see how nice of a program it is, but haven't yet used it for any real work.

All I can say is give Microsoft feedback as to what problems you are experiencing. They've seemed to be pretty responsive to questions and comments, and I'm sure they can use the feedback.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 12:11 AM

do you have the toast videocd extension installed? i read in other forums that the toast extension with preview #2 caused office to quit on startup and also to just just quit without warning. If not I have no idea what to tell you, I haven't had this happen to me yet (knock on wood).

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 05:26 PM

There is a Hotmail updater for all versions of Entourage now.
www.mactopia.com

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 09:08 PM

I've tracked part of the problem in Word v.X to the spelling and grammar check. I can get a pretty consistent "unexpected quit" after I run the spell check, and then close it after it's done. There's no information in the MS knowledge base on this, AFAIK.

Just Some Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
<STRONG>I've tracked part of the problem in Word v.X to the spelling and grammar check. I can get a pretty consistent "unexpected quit" after I run the spell check, and then close it after it's done. There's no information in the MS knowledge base on this, AFAIK.</STRONG>

Here are a few things you could try in this order:
1. Delete your Preferences (User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft), also delete your custom dictionaries if they are not located in the Microsoft Preferences folder.

2. Reinstall Office X.

Note, you don't have to delete your Microsoft User Data folder in your documents folder. This will allow you to keep all your contacts/email information for Entourage.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2001, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
<STRONG>

Here are a few things you could try in this order:
1. Delete your Preferences (User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft), also delete your custom dictionaries if they are not located in the Microsoft Preferences folder.
</STRONG>
Thanks, should have thought of trashing prefs. I'll try that first.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 03:48 PM

My Word v. X keeps quitting right while it is still launching. It is really weird.

I tried to delete the preferences files, no luck.
Any other ideas?

the system is just telling me that Word has unexpectedly quit.

thanks

t

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
<STRONG>My Word v. X keeps quitting right while it is still launching. It is really weird.

I tried to delete the preferences files, no luck.
Any other ideas?

the system is just telling me that Word has unexpectedly quit.

thanks

t</STRONG>
That might be font-related, or else try disabling the project gallery from another (non-crashing) office app if you have one. See this MacFixit thread:

web page

marnie
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2001, 10:49 PM

<STRONG>All my Office v.X apps tend to unexpectedly quit several times a day, with no obvious pattern apparent.....</STRONG>
Same issue.

i get the following in the console (this is the log of me opening 2 different word documents.):

*** malloc[325]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x2e58104; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

*** malloc[325]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x2e58104; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

*** malloc[339]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x35fb104; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

*** malloc[339]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x35fb104; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 05:28 PM

It's really surprising how many fonts on machines can get corrupt in MacOS X.

<STRONG>

That might be font-related, or else try disabling the project gallery from another (non-crashing) office app if you have one. See this MacFixit thread:

web page</STRONG>

suthercd
Senior User
Dec 21, 2001, 08:06 PM

I have found docs created in 98 and 2001 can become corrupted and force Excel to quit. Copying data to a new workbook seems to correct the problem- has happened on perhaps 5% of the docs I have used.

Some amy have been created in 98, used and modified in 2001 and now in v.X

HTH

Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules