Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I'm giving up on Eudora

I'm giving up on Eudora
Sam Venning
Jan 29, 2002, 01:28 AM

I've been a loyal Eudora user for over a decade now. I bought each upgrade. Waiting for a decent version for MacOS X I've finally run out of patients. The interface is tired and it doesn't render HTML properly (I know there is a work around somewhere in these forums but this is messy). It is obvious that Qualcomm isn't giving this product enough attention. Qualcomm can't even bother to do a bit of public relations to indicate any true commitment to this product. I've been really reluctant to use a Microsoft solution for email but I've finally given in.

So long Eudora!

Are others going to persist?

torpor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 03:41 AM

Me too.

I'm in the same boat - been using Eudora for over a decade, and I have a *lot* of e-mail saved in Eudora .mbx files.

It was great under Win32, definitely worked as well as I needed my e-mail app to work, but under OSX it's just not satisfactory. I just wasted an hour trying to get Eudora to pay attention to me - it just sat there, every time I launched it, hung in some mysterious braindead state.

I want *NATIVE* e-mail capabilities, and it seems like Qualcomm are just sitting on their laurels in the feature department.

The problem is, what do we switch to? I have to have .mbx file compatability - I have to take my e-mail archives (around 200megs) with me, and I really need excellent filter support.

On top of that, I want a good, easy-to-use GUI. One thing you can say about Eudora, is that once you've got the keys down, you've got them down - and it's fast too.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an e-mail application that's *NATIVE* to OSX, has Eudora compatability (shouldn't be too hard), is easy to use, and has somewhat decent filtering capabilities?

Here's a short list of what I need:

1. Native OSX app
2. Eudora mailbox import function
3. Fast filters

What I don't necessarily need:

1. HTML in e-mail (I don't care what anyone says, this is a *BAD* idea)
2. An Address book
3. Bloat

I've considered the option of trying to port KMail or one of the other decent Linux-based GUI e-mail apps to OSX, but I don't really have the time to do this with my other development projects right now... maybe someone else has begun this effort, or maybe someone else knows of a good e-mail alternative for OSX?

I sure hope so.

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2002, 11:09 AM

Sam, I don't know if you saw this solution for Eudora HTML e-mail, but this one is pretty simple. It takes all of five seconds, and once its done, works like a charm...

Set the following x-Eudora setting to "y" and give it a try. It worked for me.

<x-eudora-setting:298> When checked, Eudora will download HTML graphics itself instead of using URL Access

(To use an x-eudora setting, paste the info in the brackets, INCLUDING the brackets, into a message, then click on the generated hyperlink for the setting.)

As for Torpor, if you want to stay with a .mbox format e-mail client (which I personally think is a good idea given the problems with database formats like OE, Entourage, and potentially PowerMail) then Apple's Mail is probably one of the only viable alternatives. Like Eudora, it uses .mbox format, it easily imports from Eudora (including attachments), and there's third party utilities that make the import process even easier. One is Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, which was just updated on VersionTracker. It allows you to import your Eudora Nicknames into Address Book.

bob davis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 01:17 PM

<STRONG>
As for Torpor, if you want to stay with a .mbox format e-mail client (which I personally think is a good idea given the problems with database formats like OE, Entourage, and potentially PowerMail) then Apple's Mail is probably one of the only viable alternatives. Like Eudora, it uses .mbox format, it easily imports from Eudora (including attachments), and there's third party utilities that make the import process even easier. One is Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, which was just updated on VersionTracker. It allows you to import your Eudora Nicknames into Address Book.</STRONG>
Is Mail.app still as underpowered as it was when I last used it? I haven't used it since X first came out in non-beta form since I found that it had trouble dealing with the volume of mail I get.

Once the mail boxes got too bit, it croaked. Eudora is doing better since the .18 release, and serves my needs (I have html turned off) as most of the mail I send and receive is ascii anyway.

If mail is becoming a suitable application for &quot;power users&quot;, then I'd give it another shot, but if it's just going to create a ton of work for me to get all of my eudora mail into it and then out again, I'll give it a miss.
--
bob davis

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2002, 01:34 PM

I like Powermail. Try it--you'll like it too!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

benh57
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by torpor:
<STRONG>Me too.

I'm in the same boat - been using Eudora for over a decade, and I have a *lot* of e-mail saved in Eudora .mbx files.
</STRONG>

There is no such thing as "Eudora .mbx files". Eudora uses the standard UNIX mbox format. Any email program worth anything will import them just fine. They are simply text files.

This, by the way, is FAR superior to Entourage and other apps' usage of proprietary database schemes for saving Mail.

Anyway, i've used Eudora since 1993, and i won't be switching yet. HTML? Please. HTML is for the web.

-B
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Ybot
Jan 29, 2002, 05:44 PM

I've been using Entourage since it first came with Office 2001 and I really like it. The customization and organization features of it are amazing! Due to the volume of email I get, I find Entourage indispensable for sorting and organizing it for me. For example, it colour-codes messages from different groups of people and then subsequently sorts those messages into pre-specified folders.

It has very flexible rules and a Mailing List feature in case you sign up for some email lists. I'm subscribed to about 10 of them and Entourage sorts all the messages for each one into it's own folder quite nicely. The junk mail filter is also quite nice.

It also has a calendar, to-do list and lots of other Personal Information Manager options which I find very handy. Even though it is a Microsoft product, I still think it's the best email client for OS X.

And while you do have to purchase either Microsoft Word+Entourage or the entire Office suite to get it, I would never use another email app. It's truly great!

Sam Venning  (op)
Jan 29, 2002, 05:46 PM

I don't find this so simple - I can't get it to work. Paste it into a message, hightlight it and click "link". Just came up with a dialogue box. QED... Eudora now sucks!

Yes. I agree. HTML in email is a bad idea. I like to send plain text email but I like to read the HTML email I get too..

Originally posted by Hobbes:
<STRONG>Sam, I don't know if you saw this solution for Eudora HTML e-mail, but this one is pretty simple. It takes all of five seconds, and once its done, works like a charm...

Set the following x-Eudora setting to "y" and give it a try. It worked for me.

&lt;x-eudora-setting:298&gt; When checked, Eudora will download HTML graphics itself instead of using URL Access

(To use an x-eudora setting, paste the info in the brackets, INCLUDING the brackets, into a message, then click on the generated hyperlink for the setting.)

As for Torpor, if you want to stay with a .mbox format e-mail client (which I personally think is a good idea given the problems with database formats like OE, Entourage, and potentially PowerMail) then Apple's Mail is probably one of the only viable alternatives. Like Eudora, it uses .mbox format, it easily imports from Eudora (including attachments), and there's third party utilities that make the import process even easier. One is Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, which was just updated on VersionTracker. It allows you to import your Eudora Nicknames into Address Book.</STRONG>

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
<STRONG>I don't find this so simple - I can't get it to work. Paste it into a message, hightlight it and click "link". Just came up with a dialogue box. QED... Eudora now sucks! </STRONG>
Sam: It sounded complicated to me as well, but I figured it out. When the dialogue box pops up, enter "y" (without the quotes) in the field and hit the blue button (can't remember what it says). You will then be able to read HTML e-mail including inline graphics.

Note that Qualcomm just release 5.1b20 last night. I haven't tried the fix above with any other version.

Give Eudora for Mac OS X a chance! The alternatives are not really alternatives.

Cheers,
Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by Hobbes:
<STRONG>As for Torpor, if you want to stay with a .mbox format e-mail client (which I personally think is a good idea given the problems with database formats like OE, Entourage, and potentially PowerMail) then Apple's Mail is probably one of the only viable alternatives. Like Eudora, it uses .mbox format, it easily imports from Eudora (including attachments), and there's third party utilities that make the import process even easier. One is Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, which was just updated on VersionTracker. It allows you to import your Eudora Nicknames into Address Book.</STRONG>
Last time I tried, Eudora Attachments did NOT import... not with the native import and not with any of the additional import tools. If you know how to import Eudora mailboxes *with* the Attachments, please explain.

Note...

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>There is no such thing as "Eudora .mbx files". Eudora uses the standard UNIX mbox format. Any email program worth anything will import them just fine. They are simply text files.</STRONG>
That's not really true. Eudora does use standard mail files, but not in a standard way... Eudora strips the attachments out of the standard mail files, putting them as extracted files in one big Attachments folder. Thus, to import mail into a program that uses standard mail files, you have to re-attach all the attachment files, re-encoding them accordingly. And fairly uniformly, no email program other than Eudora will "import them just fine." Maybe none are worth anything; or maybe you don't worry about losing all your attachments; but for some of us, its a big issue.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to import Eudora mail into Apple Mail, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2002, 03:11 PM

Actually, Eudora's files aren't truly mbox files. Eudora has a nasty habit of hosing MIME wrappers sometimes.

Originally posted by benh57:
<STRONG>

There is no such thing as "Eudora .mbx files". Eudora uses the standard UNIX mbox format. Any email program worth anything will import them just fine. They are simply text files.

This, by the way, is FAR superior to Entourage and other apps' usage of proprietary database schemes for saving Mail.

Anyway, i've used Eudora since 1993, and i won't be switching yet. HTML? Please. HTML is for the web.

-B</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules