Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need Mac<->Win INTERNET file sharing solution

Need Mac<->Win INTERNET file sharing solution
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 12:26 AM

If this has been discussed before (search isn't working for me ATM), it at least probably wasn't a method that would work for me.

Here's the scenario: I know someone living far away using WinME. All I want is a simple way to send files back and forth. AIM file transfer was the first (and simplest) choice, but unfortunately does not work for her. Same goes for MSN Messenger.

I thought there must be a way to do this with just MacOS X (10.3.4 for me), but I'm clueless. I'm on Airport behind a wireless linksys router, which complicates things. I have my PowerBook setup with a static IP from the router though, and a static IP from my DSL provider also. Would there be a way to accomplish my task (read & write access to the WinME machine - or perhaps r/w access FROM my machine on Windows - like I can do on my local network) using SMB, or anything else, over the internet?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 08:40 AM

SMB does work over TCP/IP, so if she has a strait connection onto the internet (no firewalls blocking SMB), then you can connect to her by "Connect to Server" and entering the address like:

smb://192.168.0.5/

you might have to add the sharepoint name at the end, and you will have to have everything setup correctly on her computer (sharing enabled for the share point, etc...).

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 09:48 PM

What if a router's involved? What would have to be done? There is a router, and when I try to connect to the IP, it tries for a long time and eventually gives me an error. File sharing on her end is set up properly, unless something extra has to be done.
esdesign

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 09:34 AM

If there is a router involved then it is blocking access, and you need to set it to properly direct the SMB packets.. and there are real security concerns if you don't have things setup correctly.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2004, 01:38 PM

The simplest way is to email the files back and forth to each other. Another easy way is to get a .mac account and post the files to your public folder. Both of you would have access to them. There are probably other web hosting/file sharing sites besides .mac that are cheaper. Searching the Internet should turn these up.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2004, 02:31 PM

you could also set up a server of some sort.Be it ftp or something a little more user friendly like Hotline (old favorite) or carrocho(sp?).

dootbran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2004, 09:24 PM

Honestly, I would bet that the easiest solution, aside from using the .mac public folder, would be to fix the problem with AIM/MSN. If you just set up the proper port it should work fine. A quick google turned up this page from netgear's site

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp

Just check your router maker's site or your manual for where you need to go to set that up. Most likely they have a nice web page hosted on the router where you just type in the port number and your ip address. Even if you don't have you ip address set as static, the dynamic addresses on a small home network hardly ever change.

You might get a little nervous about setting this up but setting up any server behind a router will most likely require this step. This way you are already comfortable with the rest of the tools.

Brandon

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 11:03 PM

The only problem is that the problem is not on my end. /I/ have no problems sending and receiving files with anyone else (well, I DO have problems with Adium, but that's another topic; AOL's software and iChat both work fine). I don't know what kind of connection I'm dealing with on the other end. For all I know it's a USB router or something. I'm not sure if she has problems just sending to me, or to other people as well.

I'm already comfortable working with my linksys router. I have some ports forwarded to my computer (with a static IP) for AIM, though not for MSN (I'll have to look into that, but MSN file transfer was already iffy for me and some of my Windows using friends).

Edit: seems all the ports MSN uses are already forwarded to me because of BitTorrent.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Jul 11, 2004 at 11:10 PM. )
esdesign

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 01:32 AM

If you don't have .Mac, you could always use plain old FTP. It works even for 2 computers behind NAT (provided port-forwarding is configured on the server-end). You can use your Mac to act as an FTP server and have your friend get the file from you. Granted this is a "pull" instead of a "push," but works anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules