Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Any good RPG's coming?

Any good RPG's coming?
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2003, 05:26 PM

Does anyone know if there will be any more games based on the BG 1 and 2 engine? Maybe a whole new story besides Icewind Dale and BG?

I have an iMac 800 w/a geforce 2mx and i have a feeling that neverwinter nights is going to be slow on it (no proof of this, but WC3 is slow and this game is coming out later then it).

Any other rpgs on the way? I know Dungeon Seige should be here soon.

kardinal.cmg
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by poulh:
I have an iMac 800 w/a geforce 2mx and i have a feeling that neverwinter nights is going to be slow on it (no proof of this, but WC3 is slow and this game is coming out later then it).

I wouldn't be too sure it's going to be that slow, to be honest... I'm still playing Baldur's Gate II on a PowerBook G3 300, under both X and 9, and it works fine. Granted, it's slow, but considering I bought this around easter 1999 when it was already a year old, and it still works with fairly new games... Not bad at all.

WC3 is a fairly heavy game to go, but games based on the BG series engine (Infinity) aren't necessarily that heavy. Depends entirely on how much they have added on the engine.
Who dares wins

(aka minkinen at MacCentral)

Pej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 07:53 PM

WC3 is a fairly heavy game to go, but games based on the BG series engine (Infinity) aren't necessarily that heavy. Depends entirely on how much they have added on the engine.
Unless I've misunderstood your message you seem to be assuming NWN uses the Infinity engine, which it doesn't, it uses the Aurora engine which is 3D and quite heavy on requirements. I don't know of any other games coming out using the Infinity engine.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 06:27 AM

Try out Lineage, its a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), and it rocks!
In korea, where the game comes from, over 100 thousand players play this game, and they even have tv shows featuring Duels i think between players in the game, if u add all players together(korea,japan, US, etc) its the biggest MMORPG ever, its its available for the Mac
Lineage didnt get very popular in the US and Europe, mostly cus the graphics is old(2D sprite based), and many ppl just thinks it too ugly and choppy during the first day they try it and decide to quit.
the reason they feel its too choppy, and i know it is: there is a type of potion in the game called "haste potion" and it makes u move 25% faster or so, that also increases the frame rate of the game, strange enough lol, and when u start out and are low level and are poor, u cant afford those potions, so the game is very choppy, in the beginning.
ive played this game since mac-beta about a year ago, and its the best game ive ever played, i love it.

due to the game being a 2D game im sure it will run great even on your iMac, i sometimes run it on a iMac G4 400, and most parts of the game runs perfect on that machine, however there are some more advanced effects in some locations in the game, that needs slightly better CPU. it runs perfect on my iMac G4 800 tho.

You can apply for a 30 day trial at www.lineage.com go give it a try

PS. if u decide to try it out, there is a mac specific bug u need to know about, right after uve started the game up and ure at the character selection screen, u should switch to window mode, and back to fullscreen mode again.(CMD - RETURN switched between window and fullscreen mode) if u dont do this, some problems will come later, i wont decribe them, just do that trick and ull be fine

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2003, 08:57 AM

Maybe Icewind Dale 2. Maybe.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2003, 10:37 AM

hui
Mar 7, 2003, 11:04 PM

Everquest is coming out soon for the mac... It's a MMORPG (online playing game only) and based on a world of fantasy with wizards and warriors etc. It should be out soon, as there are already adverts up for it. I highly recommend getting it!!!
check out the site at www.everquest.com

kardinal.cmg
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Pej:
Unless I've misunderstood your message you seem to be assuming NWN uses the Infinity engine, which it doesn't, it uses the Aurora engine which is 3D and quite heavy on requirements. I don't know of any other games coming out using the Infinity engine.
Oh... I didn't know NWN was based on a different engine. Icewind Dale II was still based on Infinity, which makes it roughly on par with BGII when it comes to requirements on hardware (depending of course on how much they've decided to add on compared with BGII).

Well, originally you were supposed to be able to import characters from BGII to NWN, but they've decided against that. I might try out IDII at some point, when I finish BGII.
Who dares wins

(aka minkinen at MacCentral)

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 08:03 AM

Has MacPlay said anything about actually releasing ID2? (I can't recall anything)

My estimate is that NWN is maybe 2 months away from a release and that if you're looking for a game with lots of replayability, NWN would be a good pick. Granted, the PC gamers reactions seem to suggest that the official campaign is a bit lacking (when compared to BG2's) but you can always download new adventures... With 2174 currently available modules, you ought to have something to waste your time on, even if only a handful are any good

...and that is from a strictly "I realize that we wont have a Toolset to play with"-perspective.

Other than that, Fallout is good (read: absolute bliss), especially the the sequel.

And finally: to actually answer the original question:

Does anyone know if there will be any more games based on the BG 1 and 2 engine? Maybe a whole new story besides Icewind Dale and BG?
Yes, of course!

Check out TeamBG's Darkest Day. It's a free, 302MB downloadable addon, for Baldur's Gate 2! YAY!

Forum Links
Forum Rules