Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > IP based printing

IP based printing
jheady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 10:50 AM

How do I setup up printing through straight IP on the network with OS 8.6 - 9.1? It works great under OS X, but I would like to do the same in the earlier OS releases.

Thanks for any input you may be able to provide.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Jul 11, 2001, 04:03 PM

I've got that up right here. I use it mostly in X, but it works in 9.1, too. It's an appleshare thing. I have an HP 2200TN (or something like that). I choose Laserwriter8 in the chooser, and it shows me a big list of printers in my appletalk zone. You just have to know what your printer is calling itself (strangely enough, mine occaissonally decides to rename itself). To find it's current name during setup, get it to print a test page, or diagnostic page (I hold down both it's buttons for 3 seconds)

for anything more specific, you'll probably have to tell us more about your printer and network
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Petter
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 08:39 PM

Use the Desktop Printer Utility.
-Select LaserWriter or Adobe PS if you are running that.
-Select Printer LPR and press OK
-For PPD file, choose the PPD for the printer you are going to use.
-In LPR selection, click Change and type the IP or domain to the printer and then Verify and OK.

Click Create and you IP printing does work perfect!

remember thought that you need to set all printer specific configs by opening the desktop printer you have created and that the printer wioll not be visible in the chooser when printer directly to an IP.

p.
Petter

-the iconoclasts, the creative thinkers,
the folks who can't relate to beige.

Forum Links
Forum Rules