Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to accelerate a b/w G3 ?

How to accelerate a b/w G3 ?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2000, 05:36 PM

Hello all !
I have a Blue/white G3/350mhz/128 MB of RAM. I'm thinking of installing a new Voodoo 5 on it to replace my ATI 128. Is this a good idea and do you think it can accelerate my Mac ? I play mostly with Fly! and do some Photoshop/Fireworks, internet browsing and video editing.

Thanks for your answers !
S k y p a t

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2000, 08:27 PM

So, you wanna make that B&W fly? Here's what I did. I have the same Mac.
I just added the PowerLogix G3 500 processor upgrade, slighlty over clocked to 600MHz. Also added the IBM 75GXP 45 gig ATA100 hard drive. Also, very important, added more ram, 384 meg, total. I don't play games, but I removed the stock ATI 128 video card, and implanted the ATI Nexus 32meg Vram. I hear that the drivers for the Voodoo 5 are still being tweaked, so expect better performance as the drivers are updated. Me, I'm waiting for the Radeon, PCI video card. I've heard some very good reviews.

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2000, 09:56 PM

If you really want to speed up your B & W, get at least 256 MB total (more never hurts), a ZIF processor upgrade to 466 or 500 mhz and then a Voodoo 5 or Radeon. I've heard that Fly! takes a lot of horsepower so I guess it would benefit from those three things. Photoshop loves RAM so adding it wouldn't hurt. A bigger, faster hard drive wouldn't hurt...if you get one get either a Maxtor 7200 rpm drive or an IBM 75GXP drive. What Bugs said was right...3dfx is still working on the V5 drivers so they can compete with the Radeon. Hope this helps.

-Blakhawkg3

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2000, 03:44 AM

Thanks for your answers. Changing the processor sounds cool but I read that new versions of Mac OS might not run on it. Those kind of upgrades are usually not enouraged by Apple ... I want to be sure to be able to intall Mac OS X next year ;-)
What do you think ?
S k y p a t

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2000, 03:48 AM

Thanks for your answers. Changing the processor sounds cool but I read that new versions of Mac OS might not run on it. Those kind of upgrades are usually not enouraged by Apple ... I want to be sure to be able to intall Mac OS X next year ;-)
What do you think ?
S k y p a t

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2000, 10:01 AM

Your current processor (the 350 mhz G3) is a ZIF processor...if you buy a G3/500 ZIF, it will be the exact same thing as your current one except 150 mhz faster (i think...). It *should* run OS X just fine.
Search Xlr8yourmac forums or just the main site to see if processor-upgraded B&W G3's are running OS X PB well.

-Blakhawkg3

iPad
Sep 23, 2000, 07:32 PM

There won't be any problems upgrading, you'll be able to run everything you can currently, but faster.

If you want, AllMac ( www.allmac.com ) has a great deal on a 450Mhz IBM Copper G3 ZIF, you can probably get around a 50-100 Mhz overclock on it, giving you like 500Mhz or 550Mhz, and if you're really lucky and you know your tweaking, you could even get 600Mhz.

------------------
People aren't as dumb as you think. Wait, what was I thinking, 90% of the world uses WINDOWS!
You don't like Macs? Good, more for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules