Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Misleading Information

Misleading Information
Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 04:55 PM

On the front page http://forums.macnn.com/ there’s at the bottom an “Icons” section with a line

Forum is Closed for Posting
That padlock icon appears not to be used for forums that are closed for posting.
Either that line should be deleted ot the icon be used as announced.

-

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2007, 05:33 PM

its correct.
The archives forum isn't closed for posting - its just that members can't post there.
No clue why its setup this way.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Moonray  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 05:35 PM

The point is then, if there’s no forum closed for posting then why announce an unused symbol and irritate users.

-

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 05:57 PM

Wow, I have been here for years but never noticed that.

I guess I DO have a life

-t

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2007, 06:13 PM

Log In > Advanced Options > Super Duper Advanced Options > Screen > Scroll > Disable Scrolling to Bottom and save yourself some frustration. It also is not directly misleading information. Maybe it's an option they just haven't had to use yet Too serious
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 07:17 PM

I am outraged about this atrocity and demand immediate action or I will be forced to sue!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I am outraged about this atrocity and demand immediate action or I will be forced to sue!
Has this caused you mental anguish? Me too!

Moonray  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 11:51 PM

Some of you who find this amusing have probably never worked for money on professional user interfaces, where people do want precise menu entries and explanations that help an user and do not want Software to show any controls or explanations to an user that would confuse or have no meaning.

People running serious websites are (usually) also concerned about offering a flawless interface to their users. I forgot that forums.macnn.com might not claim to be that professional, and that most visitors of this site would rather go crazy about a wrong pixel in a graphic UI element than about a logical flaw in the navigation structure. But I do like your comments, they make me feel 20 years younger.

-

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Some of you who find this amusing have probably never worked for money on professional user interfaces, where people do want precise menu entries and explanations that help an user and do not want Software to show any controls or explanations to an user that would confuse or have no meaning.

People running serious websites are (usually) also concerned about offering a flawless interface to their users. I forgot that forums.macnn.com might not claim to be that professional, and that most visitors of this site would rather go crazy about a wrong pixel in a graphic UI element than about a logical flaw in the navigation structure. But I do like your comments, they make me feel 20 years younger.

-
I agree, i think it should be removed or implemented. For it to remain there unused is nonsensical...
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules