Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Questions on Airport Express as repeater

Questions on Airport Express as repeater
DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2008, 07:14 PM

Hello-

I currently am using an AEBS in my home in N/G mode, but would like to enable N-only operation and wide channels to increase throughput. Unfortunately, as it stands now, enabling 5GHz operation actually reduces network performance compared to 2.5GHz operation due to the ceilings and walls the signal has to go through. I was wondering how exactly an Airport Express would work my system as a WDS. More specifically:

1. If I keep my router downstairs and switch it to 5GHz N-only operation, will the addition of an Airport Express in my room (the same room which my MacBook currently is in) increase my throughput? I ask this because unless there is a summation of both repeated and original signal, I can't see how my troughput would be increased.

2. In WDS mode, is the SSID of the original and repeated signal the same?

3. Does the Airport Express support the repeating of a wide-band N-signal?

Thanks.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2008, 12:15 AM

To 2 and 3 these are "Yes".

Question 1 is more of an issue: if you can physically locate the new base station where it can both receive the inbound signal AND propagate an outbound service to you, it will work. But it all depends on where/if you can do that.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 12:02 PM

A possibly better solution: can you run a cable between the two base stations? If so, then you can just make sure that the SSIDs and passwords match and you will have effectively the same thing. And this way you don't even have to match the two base stations (so they don't have to both be Apple's hardware).

Forum Links
Forum Rules