Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Orange screen freeze on startup of MacPro

Orange screen freeze on startup of MacPro
warpmoon
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2009, 06:25 PM

Today while I was using my Mac the screen suddenly went black, I was browsing the web with an EyeTV window in the background. After waiting 15-20 seconds the desktop reappeared, but the mouse wouldn't move, after another few seconds it moved a little, then the screen went black again. This repeated a few times, during which time the computer was unresponsive to keyboard commands like forcequit and so on.

Eventually I pressed and held the Power button to force a reboot. Everything appeared fine until the desktop should have appeared, instead I got a solid bright orange screen. No menubar, no mouse pointer. I hear the HD working for a little while, then it stops. The computer doesn't respond to keycommands and I end up having to kill it with the Power button.

Now the Apple icon appears when starting up and the loading counter spins under it until the desktop should appear, at which point I still only get that bright orange screen.

I've tried resetting PRAM, holding shift while booting, looking for clues when pressing cmd-v during booting. But no luck. The inevitable result is that orange screen.

I also attempted to boot from the CD, but the loading eventually stalls (the spinning counter under the apple icon freezes).

Even trying the Apple Hardware test (holding D at boot I hope) results in an orange screen.

I also have bootcamp with WinXP, but it halts during bootup. Starting in failsafe mode actually brings me to the XP desktop, but there are redish dots covering the screen.

So I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this further and ideally get it fixed. Applecare ran out this January as well.

Anyone here have any ideas?

MacPro (Early 2008)
1x [email protected]
2GB RAM
Nvidia 8800 GT

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2009, 06:27 PM

Sounds like your nVidia 8800GT is toast, some of them went through a bad production run.
You'll need to get it replaced by Apple.

warpmoon  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2009, 08:15 PM

I managed to get access to the system.log through firewire targetmode and it agrees with your assessment. There's a long line of video channel panics in it around the time where the card borked out at first.

Do you think Apple fixes this even though Applecare ran out 5 months ago? Any suggestions on how I go about breaching the subject to them for best effect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules