Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lexus: "Parking Assistance" parking feature?

Lexus: "Parking Assistance" parking feature?
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 02:03 PM

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/09/...ed-on-live-tv/

CNBC's Phil LeBeau had the chance to test Lexus' automatic parking system on live television last week. Toyota let LeBeau test the "parking assistance" feature in a real-world setting in Dearborn, Michigan. The system appears to work quite effectively, with the ending position only slightly out of line from the other vehicles. The Leftlane Perspective: Oddly, the car doesn't seem to straighten its wheels after moving into position, nor does it nudge forward slightly after pulling in. It's also unclear if the camera/sensor system can be used to get out of the parking space as easily as in. Lastly, we wonder if encouraging drivers to park in an abnormally small space is really so wise. Will other drivers be able to get our of their spaces when your Lexus is tightly wedged in front of their car? Have a look at the video after the jump…

================

I'm all for self-aided tools, but parking....I want full control of that one. Thoughts?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 02:17 PM

It's for soccer-moms with SUVs who drive Jr. to school everyday, but couldn't park the thing if their life depended on it (or understand how a stopsign works; or a roundabout; or a blinking red light; or just about anything that has to involve thinking...)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 02:57 PM

A trip to any Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger, or any other parking lot makes me wish MORE people had this in their cars.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 03:39 PM

They should make it so that the second you activate that capability - your license is revoked.

If you can't park your own car, you shouldn't be driving at all. I don't see the value of this whatsoever - except for others that have to deal with the owner's lack of skills otherwise.

Why is it that people who fix pipes and do your taxes have to pass exams periodically, but those that drive 2-ton machinery at 80MPH only need to take one (and a lame one for that) test at the age of 16? Sorry.. started to rant.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 03:44 PM

My wife needs this.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 03:49 PM

They should make it so that the second you activate that capability - your license is revoked.

If you can't park your own car, you shouldn't be driving at all. I don't see the value of this whatsoever - except for others that have to deal with the owner's lack of skills otherwise.

Why is it that people who fix pipes and do your taxes have to pass exams periodically, but those that drive 2-ton machinery at 80MPH only need to take one (and a lame one for that) test at the age of 16? Sorry.. started to rant.

You hit the nail right on the head!! Just what we need, people who depend on the car to park itself, what happens when it malfunctions? Do they call AAA?? Heaven help us all...

Tom

dilbottehrobort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 04:13 PM

lol if it malfunctions, what are you supposed to tell the owners of the cars that you hit? It hit your car by itself I swear!

thats ridiculous, not necessary at all in my honest opinion
17" 2.0Ghz C2D iMac, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, x1600.
1.83Ghz C2D MacBook, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD
30GB 5G iPod White.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 04:27 PM

Thank goodness... now I can get an even BIGGER SUV!

Parking was my only limitation with my current vehicle.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 05:53 PM

Nice. I'm expecting a good flamefest.

-t

Allenzi35
Sep 25, 2006, 06:38 PM

I'm all for it. Do any of you live in a big city? I'm tired of people ruining BOTH front and rear bumpers on my cars. Bumpers used to be made to BUMP into but nowadays the slightest bump scratches and dents and in turn devalues the car at trade in. If this will stop people from touching my car with there car, I'm all for it.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 07:08 PM

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 07:10 PM

You could get some of those little bumper cushions people have in the city. Little roll-down carpet for the bumper?

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
A trip to any Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger, or any other parking lot makes me wish MORE people had this in their cars.
Yeah right, then you are depending on people knowing how to use the technology....scary thought! I can see it now...

"Okay, let's see...I need to get close to the side before I can park here...no wait, I don't want that parking spot, I want the one really up front...okay, I need to get close to the side before I can park...okay, I think I push this button on the navigation system...oh crap, that's the DVD Player...okay, let's try this...nope, that's the 45-disc CD player....okay...umm, how do I use this thing...I see somebody behind me waiting to get passed me, but I need to figure out this technology and how it works...let's see, what does this button do...oh Little Johnny, you just spit up...let me clean that and then we'll circle back around on this fancy option we have for parking........."

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 01:05 PM

i hope they come up with a way for people to park in regular parking lots so they don't take up 2 spaces.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2006, 01:14 PM

I saw a similar demonstration on CNBC last week, but this one featured a Mercedes. Seems like it's going to become a standard feature in luxury cars.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 12:06 PM

im all for self parking,

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Forum Links
Forum Rules