Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth mouse and MacBook Pro: randomly works, pairing problems

Bluetooth mouse and MacBook Pro: randomly works, pairing problems
thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2009, 01:51 AM

so I bought a kensington bluetooth mouse for my SR 2.6 macbook pro last december and it worked at first and then started working randomly on and off only. This was frustrating so I only used it with my macbook for which it worked fine. Bought a penryn 2.4 mbp in june and it worked only randomly with that and then bought a penryn 2.5 mbp a month ago... SAME FREAKING PROBLEM. I got so frustrated I gave up on the kensington mouce and tried an iogear notebook bt mouse. no luck even worse. Finally out of complete frustration broke down and got a wireless bt mighty mouse. figured its an apple product so SHOULD work with my mbp right?

wrong. it doesnt even pair with the laptop. I am at wits end and havent found anything with google searches. Do I just have incredibly poor luck with this or does anyone else have a problem with bluetooth products and their mbp?
( Last edited by thechidz; Jan 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM. )
Bow chicka bow-wow

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2009, 08:22 AM

My Targus BT mouse works great with my 2006-vintage MBP. I think there's something odd with what's going on with your computer, but what I can't guess.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 10:09 AM

could be a hardware problem, something with the bluetooth module in your 'book...
have it looked at! (by a 'genius' perhaps...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ibook_steve
Jan 14, 2009, 12:00 PM

I think the weird thing here is that he's had the same problem with multiple machines and multiple BT mice. Maybe if you describe to us exactly what you do to pair the mouse with your machines, we could figure out what's going on.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

thechidz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2009, 12:28 PM

I always go to bluetooth setup and setup new device. then I turn the device on and wit for it to connect. the mighty mouse seems to be "found" but never successfully pairs...
Bow chicka bow-wow

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2009, 03:54 PM

I've had some issues with BT products on my current MacBook and previous MBP. Since all my BT peripherals are Apple products, hopefully my experience can shed some light.

I found the best solution is to delete all records of BT devices form OSX and to just keep resetting stuff. Turn the mouse on and off repeatedly while trying to connect. I even go so far as to take the batteries out. Eventually, I win. I can never be sure what exactly triggers the fix, but I suspect the issue has to do with the way in which pairing in managed under OSX.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

thechidz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2009, 05:43 PM

I found the best solution is to delete all records of BT devices form OSX

this is exactly what I did today and my mighty mouse and keyboard are working fine now. I'm not going to worry about my kensington anymore
( Last edited by thechidz; Jan 14, 2009 at 05:50 PM. )
Bow chicka bow-wow

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2009, 05:46 PM

You're both pushing the "discoverable" button on the mouse when you try to pair them, right? I waited and waited the first time I tried to pair my mouse with my MBP, but it seems I was pushing on a screw cover instead of the button. Once I pushed the actual button while the computer was looking, it found it right away and it was golden from then on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules