Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama picks the Dead to play the Inaugural Ball

Obama picks the Dead to play the Inaugural Ball
waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2009, 07:09 PM

I was going to post this in the Lounge, but I knew it would turn political. I never would have thought Obama was a Grateful Dead fan. Pretty cool.

I'm just waiting for the jokes from the conservatives...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...uite-an-honor/

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2009, 07:11 PM

See! Democrats get dead people to vote, now they get the dead to do music! The corruption never ends! Waaah!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2009, 07:15 PM

"Oh sweet mama, your daddy's got them Deep Elem blues"

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash View Post
I'm just waiting for the jokes from the conservatives...
I knew these libs would find a way to stretch the inaugural ball over 72 hours.
ebuddy

deedar
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I knew these libs would find a way to stretch the inaugural ball over 72 hours.

With just one "song"!!!!!!!

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2009, 05:58 AM

why would you think Obama wouldnt be a faN? Al Gore is a huge fan
Bow chicka bow-wow

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2009, 09:49 AM

Just as "The Who" died with Keith Moon, and "The Beatles" died with John Lennon, The Dead died with Jerry Garcia.

There were complaints about the amount of money Bush spent. That has been dwarfed by the amount spent so far for this Inauguration. You think with "the worst economy in the history of the known universe" they would have pared it down. I can imagine the complaints had McCain won and had the same plans.
45/47

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Just as "The Who" died with Keith Moon, and "The Beatles" died with John Lennon, The Dead died with Jerry Garcia.

There were complaints about the amount of money Bush spent. That has been dwarfed by the amount spent so far for this Inauguration. You think with "the worst economy in the history of the known universe" they would have pared it down. I can imagine the complaints had McCain won and had the same plans.
Inaugurations or conventions : both are pomps, and an amazing waste of money. Such is America though.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2009, 11:56 AM

I don't know for sure, but I think by far the most expenditures in this inauguration have to do with the security concerns relating to the millions of people expected to attend, so I can't exactly fault the Obama folks for the cost. By this token, I'm sure a McCain inauguration would have been much less expensive!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
why would you think Obama wouldnt be a faN? Al Gore is a huge fan
Are the two psychically connected or something?
Nemo me impune lacesset

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Are the two psychically connected or something?
no I'm just saying big time politicians can like their music too. Its not just for white trash
Bow chicka bow-wow

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2009, 01:35 PM

yeah, because had mcain won (by stealing the election apparently the only way the gop can win) nobody would have wanted to be there
Bow chicka bow-wow

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2009, 01:38 PM

yeah, because had mcain won (by stealing the election apparently the only way the gop can win) nobody would have wanted to be there
Please list the number of elections stolen by the GOP. We're talking about an estimated $150B on a singular event during a time where our economy is being compared to the Great Depression; a nation in "crisis".

Oh and... bye.
ebuddy

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2009, 01:46 PM

Please list the number of elections stolen by the GOP. We're talking about an estimated $150B on a singular event during a time where our economy is being compared to the Great Depression; a nation in "crisis".

Oh and... bye.
2000 when the GOP disenfranchised Florida african-american voters to steal the election by electoral college even though Gore had more popular vote. that is enough for one lifetime.

please read this thread all the way through before posting incorrect monetary figures on the cost of the inauguration

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...aste-of-money/

oh and, sorry you lost
Bow chicka bow-wow

Rumor
Jan 17, 2009, 04:39 PM

Oh and... bye.
Probably not the best time to throw a huge party due to the recession. However, this will be very historic, and can never be done again, which I think should give it some leeway.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2009, 05:20 PM

2000 when the GOP disenfranchised Florida african-american voters to steal the election by electoral college even though Gore had more popular vote. that is enough for one lifetime.

please read this thread all the way through before posting incorrect monetary figures on the cost of the inauguration

oh and, sorry you lost
How is winning the electoral vote but no the popular vote stealing the election? I agree, in this day and age there is no real reason why we shouldn't be using the popular vote, but the fact of the matter is the constitution states the electoral vote is the one that counts. Bush/Gore wasn't the first time it's happened (1876- Hayes and 1888- Cleveland I believe) and yet no one has changed the constitution, Democrat or Republican. I agree that having your guy win the popular vote and not making into office sucks, but it certainly is not "stealing the election".
Nemo me impune lacesset

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2009, 06:23 PM

oh and, sorry you lost
Gore was not the first one to get more of the popular vote and lose the Electoral vote, and he won't be the last.
Do I have to post the links to the articles on how the NY Times, The Washington Post, and others went down to Florida, paid the money, and completed the recount. Their results: Bush won Florida. The reason it didn't make the headlines, It didn't fit the story line. Had they gone down there and Gore came out ahead it would have been front page news. Just remeber, If Gore hasd won his OWN state of Tennessee, Florida would have been moot.
No one has come forward with definitive proof anyone was disenfranchised, other than the voters in the Florida panhandle when the networks callied Florida early.
1960, that was a stolen election
45/47

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2009, 09:32 PM

First of all, you'll recall that there were several problems with the election in Florida including disenfranchised military ballots from overseas. The election was found to have ultimately been credible on all counts. The fact that you don't understand how the electoral college system works and haven't taken your bib off in 8 years is proof that in fact you need to MoveOn brother.

Please read this thread all the way through before posting incorrect monetary figures on the cost of the inauguration

I mistakenly quoted someone who quoted a mistake by CNN. Sorry for the error. They're still spending a ridiculous amount of money on things that at any other time would be thrown at them for free. Whoever involves themselves in this event will be a part of history. I'm sure with a little creativity we might be able to get away with say... $70M at least???

oh and, sorry you lost
Sure if you'd like to ignore the multiple subsequent posts correcting your misinformation. This is such a tired conversation. Egadz man, why is it "progressives" seem always stuck in their reconstructionist history???
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Probably not the best time to throw a huge party due to the recession. However, this will be very historic, and can never be done again, which I think should give it some leeway.
I agree with the profundity of this event. This is why it surprises me that we're actually having to spend this kind of money on it. Granted, a great many might see this opportunity as their meal-ticket, but you'd think a great many more would simply want to be involved in what will undoubtedly be the most widely-viewed, top ten most historic events in this country.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules