Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disappearing USB on MBP?

Disappearing USB on MBP?
Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 05:27 PM

I have a frustrating problem I'm hoping someone here may have some insight on. I have a 1st generation MBP that occasionally loses it's internal USB devices- specifically the keyboard and trackpad stop working suddenly. I can continue work if I plug in external KB and mouse, and if I look in the system profiler, the keyboard and trackpad don't show up. A reboot always an immediately fixes the problem.

I first had this issue almost six months ago. I tried all the easy stuff, repairing permissions, switching user accounts, went a bit further and did an archive and reinstall of the OS but no joy. About the time I was ready to try a wipe and clean install- the problem vanished.

It was happening almost every time I used the laptop. Sometimes after a few min of use, sometimes it would be ok for hours.

On the one hand it seems like it might be a HW problem- like a loose connector for the USB bus- but it seems odd that a reboot would always and without fail fix it every time. Add to that- the problem didn't get worse like you might expect with a failing connection- it went away.

I had pretty much forgotten about the problem, but yesterday, after almost 6 months, it happened again, and three more times today. I haven't installed any new software nor am I using it in a different way. 90% of my use is Safari, Mail, iPhoto and WoW. That's the same unchanged pattern of usage for the last few years. I've not been able to determine if there is a pattern to what I'm doing when it fails. Today it's been once when safari was the only thing open, once when mail and safari were were open but I was playing WoW, and once while it was asleep- it would not wake up until I plugged in a mouse and when I did, the TP and KB were gone. It happens on and off the power adapter.

I never thought to check if the iSight (also on USB as I understand it) also goes away, but next time it happens I will. Obviously, the external bus seems unaffected.

If anyone has any thoughts, it would be much appreciated. It's out of warranty, or I'd just take it to Apple and let them sort it.

Help. It's making me crazy.

Cold Warrior
Jan 31, 2008, 05:29 PM

PRAM reset?

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
PRAM reset?
I honestly don't remember if I did this last time- I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2008, 05:18 PM

Ok, so did the PRAM reset and the problem did not come back for a few days. I then upgraded to Leopard (finally) and had no more problems until today. It's happened 3 times today.

Any more thoughts?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 06:15 PM

There was an update Apple put out specifically to address this problem (I had it on my MacBook non-Pro, as well).

Check the Apple Support downloads section for MacBook/Pro keyboard update or somesuch.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
There was an update Apple put out specifically to address this problem (I had it on my MacBook non-Pro, as well).

Check the Apple Support downloads section for MacBook/Pro keyboard update or somesuch.
I have installed that fix, but the problem is somewhat different. As described in the notes, it fixes a keyboard that becomes unresponsive- but eventually begins working again. My problem is the keyboard and mouse both stop and don't come back until a restart (I've left it overnight to see if comes back on it's own)

Another wrinkle- I've discovered that if I plug in an external mouse and do a restart, it doesn't fix it. But if I first shut down and then power on, it works fine.

This is vexing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules