Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > using techtool

using techtool
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2010, 07:42 PM

Does tech tool pro do a better job of .... disk maintainence... than say disk utility when I go and repair permissions? Is it a good idea to use TTP once a quarter or so to get things back in order?

Is there a guide for using it properly to repair the libraries and such in order?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

ibook_steve
Jan 31, 2010, 12:21 AM

Disk Utility is perfectly fine for regular maintenance. There's no big reason to use any 3rd-party software. I did purchase Disk Warrior to salvage a dead disk, but for fixing permissions, you really don't need anything extra.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2010, 01:10 PM

FYI: There is a serious bug that can cause TTP's Directory Backup feature to fill your hard drive. For details, see TechTool Protection eats up >half HD space - FineTunedMac and TTP & Directory Backup, MMT Please Help - FineTunedMac. If you are using TTP, I strongly urge you to check out both those threads and also check your hard drive's available space.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2010, 02:53 PM

If I remember right there are several things that it can repair as the libraries and such. I just thought it did a better job of .... I don't know really I mean it almost sounds like defragging in a way.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules