Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Frequent Finder Crashes now Finder won't relaunch

Frequent Finder Crashes now Finder won't relaunch
ahollywoodcraig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 03:57 PM

Hey I hope someone can help me with this. Lately my finder has been crashing usually when I right click and choose to delete a file. Besides being annoying this hasn't been a big deal to me, but today it crashed and will not relaunch.
Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar? Any ideas on how to fix this?
I'm using a dual 1.8 G5 running 10.4.10

thanks in advance,

Craig
http://www.purevolume.com/ahollywoodlegend
Check it out. You won't regret it.

ahollywoodcraig  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 04:19 PM

I used force quit and chose to relaunch the finder and it worked, but now I'm a little concerned and wonder why it's crashing like that.
http://www.purevolume.com/ahollywoodlegend
Check it out. You won't regret it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2007, 08:04 PM

You probably have an out-of-date contextual menu plug-in that is the cause of the problem (the Stuffit Expander one is somewhat notorious for this). If the Finder is running, navigate to ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items and move it out of the folder (or the /Library equivalent if it has been installed there). Logout and back in again and see if the problem has gone. If not, repeat for any other CMIs you have installed.

If the Finder won't stay up long enough for you to do this, log out then back in again, only hold down the shift key to disable any third party software that is normally loaded. Then repeat the above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules