Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ilife '08 is the worst piece of crap

ilife '08 is the worst piece of crap (Page 3)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 01:54 PM

When you hover near the screen, as in any full screen application, the menu bar pops up so you can use menu commands. How else would you get them?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 02:05 PM

your mom's going out with squeeks

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
When you hover near the screen, as in any full screen application, the menu bar pops up so you can use menu commands. How else would you get them?
Yeah i get that, but what i'm saying is that it didn't do it in the last iPhoto an isn't particularly aesthetic, in fact it looks dreadful ( just the photo ribbon would look so much better)!! When editing photos, one doesn't really need the full functionality of the entire menu.

Its the only fault i can find, and cant help thinking it looks naff!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 02:38 PM

iPhoto 6 does show the menubar when you touch the top of the screen in fullscreen editing mode. How else would you use the menu commands?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 03:10 PM

Ok maybe it has always done it... i just think it looks bad and 'un-apple'!!!

I just don't get why you would need the apple menu or help menu whilst editing a photo in which all the editing functions are in the pop up on the bottom of the screen!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 03:20 PM

Quit, Undo, Preferences, System Preferences, Help menu...

Any more reasons?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 06:19 PM

Ok so take a photo>>> go fullscreen>>> try and select pref. from apple menu>>>>

on my macbook that doesnt work... i get the dock to appear but wheres the pref. panel?? i have to exit full screen to get the pref panel to appear.

Ahh ive just found a solution... you can make the ribbon appear on the left or right instead of the top.. thus not having to have the menu pop up in my face..

Quit, Undo, Preferences, System Preferences, Help menu...
Why would you want the help menu when editing a photo... its not that complicated to work out.

I guess its just me then, but i really do think its unnecessary to have the menu appear with the photo ribbon.
( Last edited by richwig83; Aug 20, 2007 at 06:26 PM. )

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
your mom's going out with squeeks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2007, 06:41 PM

I don't have iPhoto 08, but in iPhoto 06 preferences do work in fullscreen mode. Undo and Revert to Orignal are enough to justify access to the menubar. Not everybody memorizes keyboard shortcuts and Revert to Original doesn't even have one.

Maybe you consider it "not Apple-like" because it doesn't sacrifice usability for aesthetics, but Apple does the same in QuickTime Player, so it's nothing that's untypical for them. And I honestly fail to see what's ugly about the menubar. Just get over it.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 06:51 PM

The useful Applescript menu, the ability to shut down the Mac, ...

A menubar at the top of the screen is very “apple” since 1983. and it’s only shown if you touch the top of the screen. So just don’t hit it and you won’t see it.

(1983 Apple’s Lisa was released.)

-

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 07:08 PM

If its so apple and so useful why doesn't the menu appear in full screen cover flow in itunes?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 07:18 PM

There you have me. It doesn’t. Must be a bug.

-

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 08:13 PM

Apple has never been consistent, and you're being a little nitpicky. Most people don't even use the menu bar in a fullscreen app. Although in DVD Player, it is essential because they provide no other easy way of getting out for fullscreen.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 09:16 PM

Of course I’m being nitpicky when it’ſ about the menu bar, the most consistent element of Apple’s GUI. And yes, except for short time spans Apple isn’t consistent. But at least they release new Human Interface Guidelines before they break their old ones.

-

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 09:38 PM

have you ever heard of brushed metal?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 10:27 PM

I suppose the main function is to get to the Undo command. Which makes me wonder, why on earth don't they have a toolbar icon for undo? They seem to be terrified of that handy toolbar icon, seeing as they also don't have one in iWork.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 11:19 PM

have you ever heard of brushed metal?
I’ve even seen it.

-

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 11:21 PM

Then you know it breaks the HIGs and new ones have yet to be written.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 11:34 PM

Of course you’re right. I’ve stopped reading Apples HIGs when they re-introduced “light from top left” buttons (like the Safari back/forth buttons) while the “light comes from straight above in OS X” directive was still active. Wait ... it still is. Isn’t it?

-

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 11:36 PM

IMO, the top left buttons and the top buttons don't look too bad together...

But yes, the top light is still active just look at the close button.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I suppose the main function is to get to the Undo command. Which makes me wonder, why on earth don't they have a toolbar icon for undo? They seem to be terrified of that handy toolbar icon, seeing as they also don't have one in iWork.
Or ... why did they give up the assignment of F1 as undo key which is often the most used function of an application. It was even printed on the keyboard templates you got with an Apple keyboard (they didn’t dare to print it directly on the keys that time).

-

Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 11:40 PM

Command - Z. It's better for Windows switchers. (CTRL-Z in Windows)

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 11:46 PM

IMO, the top left buttons and the top buttons don't look too bad together...

But yes, the top light is still active just look at the close button.
... or at the standard pulsing blue button. When Apple decided for that top light policy it should have come to their mind, that plasticity is more done by reflections than shadows and that having a x together with a y offset does add to the effect. (Besides that top left light was standard in computer 3D representation from the very beginning).

-

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 11:57 PM

Command - Z. It's better for Windows switchers. (CTRL-Z in Windows)
I care more for usability than for switchers. Hitting a single key makes it easier to me. The F1 undo/redo function in Photoshop that allows me to lean back and just watch a change go and disappear while hitting just one button is priceless to me.

-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
I care more for usability than for switchers. Hitting a single key makes it easier to me. The F1 undo/redo function in Photoshop that allows me to lean back and just watch a change go and disappear while hitting just one button is priceless to me.

-
F1 isn't a single key anymore. With the new keyboards, you have to use the Fn key to get it, like on a laptop.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 07:45 AM

I saw somewhere previously, maybe not this forum, where someone reported Garageband '08 crashes on startup.

I've just installed it and exactly the same thing happens to me.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
F1 isn't a single key anymore. With the new keyboards, you have to use the Fn key to get it, like on a laptop.
Ouch. As if I wanted to change the brightness 20 times a hour.

-

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
I saw somewhere previously, maybe not this forum, where someone reported Garageband '08 crashes on startup.

I've just installed it and exactly the same thing happens to me.
I was surprised there were no comments on Garageband here so far. However there are plenty of customer reviews on the iLife page of the Apple store. Though the average rating seems to be at 50 %, it looks like there are more bad than good comments; mostly it’s complaints about the new iMovie.

-

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 11:08 PM

I've got to chime in also. I switched to Mac more than four years ago because of iMovie and iDVD. That's why I embraced the platform. Ever since I've gotten a perverse kick out of knocking Windows Movie Maker. I see why they retooled iMovie the way they did, but I don't think it was wise to shaft the advanced users. Clearly all the features we use could and no doubt will be integrated into this new iMovie modality. I suspect there simply wasn't time for that.

Not wise, Steve. Mac loyalty is one of the hallmarks of the Apple branding and to alienate people by screwing with one of the core features of your platform is clearly a mistake.

I'm also irritated that 16:9 is the default project property and that there's no way to alter that default. My biggest gripe, though, is that you have to "Prepare for Sharing" on every movie project before you can work with it in iDVD. What a step backward! I remember the elimination of that tedious step a few years ago was one of the most exciting things about iMovie 5 (I think) and now it's back?!?

I'm downloading iMovie HD onto my mini right now. I honestly think I will revert to using it until I get a new camera that will work more seamlessly with this new version. Tisk, tisk, Apple.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
My biggest gripe, though, is that you have to "Prepare for Sharing" on every movie project before you can work with it in iDVD. What a step backward! I remember the elimination of that tedious step a few years ago was one of the most exciting things about iMovie 5 (I think) and now it's back?!?
The media preview is understandable, though, since iMovie shares not only into iDVD, but into iWeb and GarageBand, as well (which is where you build the soundtrack to your movie).

It's a LOT nicer to just save your project - be it a movie or a GarageBand song - with a project preview by default, and then be able to automagically access it in all other iLife applications, than to have to explicitly SEND it to that application.

gattica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 03:24 PM

iLife has only been on the market for a few weeks but it is the only software that has consistently
crashed my machine in over 5 years. Crashes on the forums include iphoto, idvd and the one I cannot get going imovie.

The major change to the iphoto folder privatizes the folder into a package, you need to hold down the control button and select package contents from the menu. This hides the data away from users and other third party applications and cannot be seen by a simple open file browser. The shortsightedness of this implementation means when iPhoto has a problem similar to the one I had when it can't find a file, you cannot browse to find it because it is in a package. Why has this changed? If this same idiotic file system is implemented in iTunes there is going to be hell to pay.

Apple backup also uses packages and because a customer moved files around on externals and was missing a small set the program would not recover. When his Macbook crappy Fujitsu HD died the Applecenter said sorry cannot help you. They were not aware that the backup files were just packages which used to only be used for applications. It took me all of 5 minutes to locate this overseas holiday photos.

I did not take a backup of my iphoto library file because it was so big and now I am going to have to manually reverse it.

For some reason iphoto will not see my itunes and locks up.

Keeps asking for a volume I have not used for over a year and I cannot find any other file other than com.apple.iPhoto.plist, AlbumData.xml, Photo Database that it is listed in and have change this and still an error.

Sorry Apple unless you want to create DDL hell for Mac users, go back to the drawing board and reconsider these huge changes that no longer keep the program manageable and open.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 03:32 PM

No application should manage to crash your Mac. Ever.

Your problems sound like defective hardware. Gut feeling is bad RAM.

Run the Apple Hardware Test from your Install Disk 1 on your machine. Make sure to run the extended test.

If your machine is actually crashing, I'll bet you 10 to 1 it's the RAM.

NB: If it is, you must re-install EVERYTHING that you've installed since the bad module was put in, since every transaction since then could have potentially corrupted data or system/application files.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I wonder if Steve Jobs says "boom" while he is banging his wife?
"Honey... one more thing.... boom!"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
"Honey... one more thing.... boom!"
"Isn't that cool?"

gattica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 07:48 PM

Your are right non of my other 514 Applications crash like this piece of ****. No I don't think I will waste my time unless by chance another application causes grief. In fact we have standardized on a test for Mac that can show errors that the OS9 Mac hardware test does not catch. Run itunes then run Cinebench 9.5 C4D tester (Intel use this at PC shows to stress test) this will show up motherboard I/O, CPU and controller card errors. We showed the Applecenter how to run this one to get a speedy MB replacement. The point is not that it just crashes but Apple have change something the contradicts is own user error trapping. Main problem with rebuilding my library is that it is 8.26gb in size.
( Last edited by gattica; Aug 23, 2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 08:38 PM

See, I'm not seeing any crashes at all.

At all.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by gattica View Post
Your are right non of my other 514 Applications crash like this piece of ****. No I don't think I will waste my time unless by chance another application causes grief. In fact we have standardized on a test for Mac that can show errors that the OS9 Mac hardware test does not catch. Run itunes then run Cinebench 9.5 C4D tester (Intel use this at PC shows to stress test) this will show up motherboard I/O, CPU and controller card errors.
Would that necessarily catch bad RAM (or did you just not mention an extensive RAM test)?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The media preview is understandable, though, since iMovie shares not only into iDVD, but into iWeb and GarageBand, as well (which is where you build the soundtrack to your movie).

It's a LOT nicer to just save your project - be it a movie or a GarageBand song - with a project preview by default, and then be able to automagically access it in all other iLife applications, than to have to explicitly SEND it to that application.
Yeah, but it was even nicer not to have to do anything and be able to access it in iDVD.

Besides, you still have to go through extra steps to port the video for the other apps because it'll need to be in lower resolutions.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 08:46 PM

Yeah, but it was even nicer not to have to do anything and be able to access it in iDVD.
Huh?

I seem to recall having to EXPORT to iDVD, which would automatically open iDVD when the conversion was done.

I could not ever simply open iDVD and work on an iMovie project.

Besides, you still have to go through extra steps to port the video for the other apps because it'll need to be in lower resolutions.
The resolutions are set ONCE when you save the media preview. It gives you radio buttons for each resolution you wish to use, with images of all the devices (iPod, Apple TV, iPhone, etc.) capable of playing them.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 09:26 PM

Huh?

I seem to recall having to EXPORT to iDVD, which would automatically open iDVD when the conversion was done.

I could not ever simply open iDVD and work on an iMovie project.

The resolutions are set ONCE when you save the media preview. It gives you radio buttons for each resolution you wish to use, with images of all the devices (iPod, Apple TV, iPhone, etc.) capable of playing them.
In iMovie 6 there was no export-to-iDVD. iDVD could take the DV stream from iMovie and compress it in the background as an encoded asset. You just dragged your iMovie file right into iDVD, no extra step. Now I have to wait several minutes--32 min. for one of the clips I was working with last night--before iDVD is ready to work with it. Very annoying.

Hence, I'm complaining about the step backward.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 09:34 PM

In iMovie 6 there was no export-to-iDVD. iDVD could take the DV stream from iMovie and compress it in the background as an encoded asset. You just dragged your iMovie file right into iDVD, no extra step. Now I have to wait several minutes--32 min. for one of the clips I was working with last night--before iDVD is ready to work with it. Very annoying.

Hence, I'm complaining about the step backward.
I had no idea that worked.

I always used the iDVD button at the lower right.

gattica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 10:37 AM

I work on fixing macs every day for 9 years in my own company and admittedly I have allot on my machine. But this imovie is an inconsistency we have not seen from any other software vendor. My fear is they are changing the structure of the libraries to quick and this will make great third party software crash as well. Got it fixed just created another user and logged in but no itunes and no iphoto libraries. From research I think it has got to do with movies mov or avi in iphoto the the simple fact that Apple has not created a place to store movies. I will explain for in the simplest of terms, do you stack all your DVD together and all your music together or are you a nuff nuff like Steve Jobs and store all your stuff in random order and call the whole shelf iTunes. Movie libraries are generally smaller in file listings than music libraries, need access to a front cover, a rating, a blurb and easy menu system to be controlled by remote, all stored in a database application that also help Rip this file from DVD. The playable RIPPED file needs to be stored on a mirrored networkable drive or on various large format media like HDTV or Blueray and in whatever format YOU choose. This is still not even achievable on Apple TV if you hack it and add the great plugins, file need to be stored in iTunes or on the Apple TV. This application cannot be called iTunes because that is were I store my music and it cannot be called iMove cause that already does something else and my feeling is Apple have missed the boat and not continued with the separated component philosophy they started with, now it is one of those ugly all in one crappy cheap stereos. p.s. iMovie is now missing Video Effects but still does transitions thanks to the new iMovie development team, that Boom you hear is the part of Steve's brain that went missing from taking too much ACID.

gattica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 10:45 AM

No application should manage to crash your Mac. Ever.

Your problems sound like defective hardware. Gut feeling is bad RAM.

Run the Apple Hardware Test from your Install Disk 1 on your machine. Make sure to run the extended test.

If your machine is actually crashing, I'll bet you 10 to 1 it's the RAM.

NB: If it is, you must re-install EVERYTHING that you've installed since the bad module was put in, since every transaction since then could have potentially corrupted data or system/application files.
Gut feel was wrong , drank too much beer go back 5 paces. Luck I do this for a living and my gut is the last thing I rely on ...lol
However it is true to say with faster ram these days and hotter machines ram can fry more often. Changed a lot in Media centre Mac Mini's...at least this is a life time warranty on non Apple ram and it's not built in like Apple TV.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Ouch. As if I wanted to change the brightness 20 times a hour.

-
As if you can't choose to select F keys over their other values by default then use the Fn Key to access the other commands.

Personally I like the new keyboards, i think they're nice.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 11:57 AM

Gut feel was wrong , drank too much beer go back 5 paces. Luck I do this for a living and my gut is the last thing I rely on ...lol
However it is true to say with faster ram these days and hotter machines ram can fry more often. Changed a lot in Media centre Mac Mini's...at least this is a life time warranty on non Apple ram and it's not built in like Apple TV.
Try using grammar. It makes everyone's life easier. I gave up on your longer post.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 02:27 PM

I did NOT understand what you were trying to say. Really.

I have NO idea.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben View Post
As if you can't choose to select F keys over their other values by default then use the Fn Key to access the other commands.

Personally I like the new keyboards, i think they're nice.
My statement that you quoted above was a response to a post that suggested that you always have to use the Fn key to get the normal F keys.

-

weimings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 08:26 AM

iMovie HD 6 is now available as a free download to everybody who has iLife 08.

Apple - Support - Downloads - iMovie HD 6
On Apple.com it says this is version 6.0.4 of iMovie HD, but after installing it, why does my system profiler still shows it as 6.0.3? (I purchased and installed iLife'08)

[update] sorry. After restarting System Profiler, it's showing 6.0.4 all right
( Last edited by weimings; Sep 6, 2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Problem solved)

michaelper22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
And what is Steve smoking, anyway? People don't use DVD anymore? In the labs at university, people are always coming in there wanting to burn something or other to DVD. When people take home videos, they usually want to archive them to something they can actually watch on their TV.

Hell, if no one burns DVDs anymore, then why do practically all computers come with DVD-RW drives? If people didn't care about DVD, you'd think they'd all be cutting that feature off to save the expense.
If people don't care about DVDs, how come the studios are still producing them? Also, there are still too many people with dial-up (although that number is steadily shrinking) to make YouTube (not as much .Mac) worth sharing home videos on.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
No, it's not. Steve said that people don't use DVDs any more nowadays. They put their movies on their .Mac webgallery or YouTube. Both is supported by iMovie 08.
Oh brother!

Well thank you Stevie but I use them and so do most people I know. I guess he just wants to sell more Apple TV units. First it was no custom ringtones on the iPhone, then this supposed "update" to iLife, then the all too sudden price drop of the iPhone without much consideration for early adopters, next ringtones make there appearance but for a price. What the heck is next? Will iTunes only be able to handle downloaded/imported digital music files and not burn physical CDs because no one uses those either? Apple is not getting better IMHO. I think it's getting too big for its own good. I said it before and I'll say it again...I liked it better when the mainstream didn't pay any attention to us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules