Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best music sharing services in OS X

View Poll Results: Where do you get your new music?
Poll Options:
Napster/Opennap 7 votes (21.21%)
Gnutella 14 votes (42.42%)
Carracho 5 votes (15.15%)
Hotline 1 votes (3.03%)
The record store 6 votes (18.18%)
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
Best music sharing services in OS X
ksujeff99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2002, 09:06 PM

I use mapigator to log onto opennap servers with an old verson of Napster. I also use Acquisition for logging onto gnutella.

What does everyone else use?

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 09:39 PM

Virtual PC and Kazaa Lite.
Yeah, Jesus saves! Gretzky scores! The workers slave. The rich get more.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 10:57 PM

Acquisition + Best Buy.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 11:00 PM

Amazon.com + Virtual PC and Kazaa Lite

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 11:06 PM

Usenet.

I still find find the newest stuff there.. any genre. love it!

i found so many new bands this way, grabed one cd.. then went into the city and bought a few more.

introduced me to more bands than even napster did. :>

and simple too. i've given up on P2P and radio/record stores to introduce me to stuff. friends are helpful though ;>

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2002, 11:53 PM

For OpenNap, I like XNap because it connects to as many different servers as possible at once. Older versions of MP3Rage were also good for OpenNap.

For a while I was using VPC + WinMX, but VPC is such a pain in the ass that I gave up.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2002, 12:22 AM

Yeah, xnap will definitely find you music that you'll never find anywhere else. It even has stuff that never showed up on the late great AudioGalaxy. I'm running it right now, and I'm connected to 19 servers sharing 1016.2 Terabytes of files!
Now if only it wasn't so slooooow...
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Yeah, xnap will definitely find you music that you'll never find anywhere else. It even has stuff that never showed up on the late great AudioGalaxy. I'm running it right now, and I'm connected to 19 servers sharing 1016.2 Terabytes of files!
Now if only it wasn't so slooooow...
XNap was slow for me, too, but I did something that got CPU usage WAY down. Right now it's in the background using between 0 and 4% of the CPU on visually-inspected average. Try changing the appearance to Metal instead of Mac OS Adaptive. Also try to turn off the IRC features. They're CPU hogs.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2002, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
I'm connected to 19 servers sharing 1016.2 Terabytes of files!
Yup.. I was excited when I ran morpheus (old windows kazaa variant) and it finally hit the petabyte (1000 terabytes) mark. Now kazaa typically has about 4 petabytes. Wow thats a lot of data. :)
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2002, 08:57 AM

I had to vote for the record store - it's the only place I actually GET new music.

I use opennap to find and sample music that I think I might like - if I like it, I buy it. I've never burned a CD that I downloaded without purchasing it.

**begin rant**
I wish the fscking RIAA would realize that their drop in sales is because the economy is slow and most of the artists they represent are CRAP (Metallica USED to be good). It's not because 70 kajillion people now download and burn their own CD's rather than purchase. Anyone with an ear for fidelity can tell you that MP3 quality is ok for computer speakers, but pales in comparison to full CD quality (even at 192+ bitrate).
**end rant**
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

barbarian
Senior User
Oct 18, 2002, 11:02 AM

I use xnap regularly. It's frustrating (certainly it's no audiogalaxy) but eventually it will work. Yesterday I found drumbeat (another open nap client) and it seems to work a bit more smoothly than xnap (albeit with fewer features). Haven't used it enough though to give it a real review. Drumbeat is a cpu hog, but I usually run this stuff at night so I don't care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules