Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What if IE6 rocks?

What if IE6 rocks?
jcopeland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 11:10 PM

IMO OS X has the best choices for browsing the web. I used to us Omniweb as my main browser, until Chimera 0.5 was released. I only use IE when the others have trouble handling a site properly. Most likely the site is not following standards.

I do wonder, with all of the great choices we have, what will be the OS X communities response to MS if IE6 rocks.

As a side thought, do we need IE6 to be successful to keep MS involved with OS X?

qyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by jcopeland:
IMO OS X has the best choices for browsing the web. I used to us Omniweb as my main browser, until Chimera 0.5 was released. I only use IE when the others have trouble handling a site properly. Most likely the site is not following standards.
I basically follow the same usage pattern, regardless of the fact that IE in general has the highest success rate rendering pages.

Mainly I avoid IE for political reasons. In some ways, that's kind of stupid because it's a tool (not a cause) and it works well. But I figure that if I don't use IE for a bad reason, that will help to balance out the users who have to use it for a bad reason (ie monopoly). So maybe not so stupid .

Anyway, I won't be using IE6 no matter what, for the aforementioned reason.

In some ways it's too bad that we can't support MS when they do good work (most of their Mac stuff, IMHO) because then we'd also be supporting their bad habits.

But that's just me.

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 11:47 PM

if ie6 rocks, great. i dont like microsoft anymore then the next guy, but i am not going to shrug off well written software.

then again microsoft rarely if ever has truely well written software.

just because it might rock, doesnt mean i will use it. ie will always be my last resort, and for that reason its good to have. i will remain a happy omniweb/chimera user

There's someone in my head but its not me...

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 11:55 PM

it'd be great if IE 6 is fabulous, but the cool browsers have raised my standards.

here's what I've come to expect in a web browser:
1. tabbed browsing
2. advanced cookie management
3. pop-up blocking
4. image/host/ad blocking
5. javascript block/allow flexibility (such as exists in Moz.).

I just won't (and don't) use any version of IE on a regular basis without those features. it has become a browser of last resort, rather than a preference.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 12:09 AM

but if the rumor mill is to be believed, there will not be an ie6 for mac.....(not that i personally believe the rumor mill.....and i am a mozilla and/or omniweb user myself anyway)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2002, 12:15 AM

if it truly rocks I'll use it. I hate M$ just as much if not more then most anyone else here but back in the early days of OS X (beta -> 10.1/OW4.1 late SP's) I used IE as it was (sadly) the best browser of the time.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 12:43 AM

I will use whatever browser is the best. I have jumped around b/w Chimera, Omni, and IE for months. I dont care about politics.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 25, 2002, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by fulmer:
it'd be great if IE 6 is fabulous, but the cool browsers have raised my standards.

here's what I've come to expect in a web browser:
1. tabbed browsing
Oh thats gonna cost you, the wrath of Guy Incognito is about to come down on you like the flames of hell.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2002, 03:16 AM

If IE 6 rocks, then we'll probably consider using it.

I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

BTW, this is a really stupid thread.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 06:23 AM

Sorry, but two things that IE will probably never ever have are pop-up blocking and image (ad) blocking. Other browsers can get away with these features owing to their relatively small userbase, but MS would cause an uproar if they introduced these features into IE as it would effectively kill advertising and the "free" web. Advanced cookie management is also unlikely IMO for similar reasons.

Without them though, IE will never "rock" which is a very good thing for the alternative browsers.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2002, 06:55 AM

I will never use IE - just because it is a MS Program. It's not a tool it's a trojan horse to "embrace and extend" web standards.
This ist why i don't believe, that IE will be on Mac OS as good as on Windows.

MS: "You want a good internet eXPerience? Use Windows - with the good IE, Paladium, DRM and .NET."

Microsofts interests aren't my interests. I don't want a DRM crippled computer, i don't want a monopoly to be able to control the tools i use.
I think open standards are the way to go and using open standards will result in a better computing world for everyone.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
It's not a tool it's a trojan horse to "embrace and extend" web standards.
fyi, IE 5:Mac is one of the best, standards compliant browsers ever, even better than IE6:Windows. So...it does 'embrace' web standards.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2002, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:

fyi, IE 5:Mac is one of the best, standards compliant browsers ever, even better than IE6:Windows. So...it does 'embrace' web standards.
IE PC isn't that standard compliant and that's the web browser the web pages are made for.

And i think that sooner or later the standard compliance of IE 5:Mac will be extended by some proprietary MS features. Maybe better integration of .NET or something like that.

That's what MS always did and always will do.

I don't trust Microsoft - even if they give me presents.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 25, 2002, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by swiz:

Oh thats gonna cost you, the wrath of Guy Incognito is about to come down on you like the flames of hell.
Hehe...nah, I've come to accept that there are some people in this world that like this blasphemous UI element.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 12:59 PM

No Microsoft products on my computers until they grow up and quit acting like a bunch of thugs. This should be about the time that hell freezes over.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2002, 03:43 PM

What if IE6 rocks?

what if the sky fell down and hit us on the head?

Well none of the possibillities is likely to occur... wait and see

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 05:31 PM

I use Chimera, and very rarely, Internet Explorer. I'd go back to IE if it was like IE under OS 9 (FAST). It's ok under OS X, but Chimera is just too damn fast.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 05:38 PM

IE6 doesn't rock on Windows XP, so why should it rock on OS X?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 06:09 PM

...then they'll be having snowball fights in hell.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 25, 2002, 06:19 PM

I like rocks.

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
IE6 doesn't rock on Windows XP, so why should it rock on OS X?
Because Office X is way better than Offiice XP

On Windows I use to use Netscape Navigator but when I switched to a mac 2 years ago....I became accustom to using IE, so I just can't use any other browser now...I get "IE sick" So I eagerly wait for IE 6

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2002, 10:02 PM

If it rocks, I'll use it. However I highly doubt that it will rock. MS has had 2 years (since public beta) to get IE for OSX cleaned up and has done a horrible job at it. It's slow and it crashes a lot. They really should be embarrassed by it. It's such a shame because IE 5 in OS 9 was a VERY solid browser.

I've been a strict mozilla user in OSX, however, since around the time it reached version 0.9, and it would take a seriously kick ass browser to make me change. I was hopeful about chimera, however that project appears to have died since the main developer got hired at apple and joined the mozilla "Phoenix" project (currently windows and linux only). I just wish they'd port phoenix to X, as it is simply the best browser i have EVER used for ANY platform. And (Get this) it actually has PREFERENCES!!! OH MY GOD!!!! (unlike chimera, which is about as customizable as textedit) And it also already has some great extensions, such as mouse gestures (couldnt live without em), and VERY customizable options for tab behavior.

I will remain hopeful...
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 10:13 PM

Died? Uh, have you seen the latest nightlies? They're almost up to version 0.6, and it's better than ever. There are a lot more preferences, too. I've used a build of Phoenix for OS X, and it just feels like Chimera without the Macness. The one thing I'd like to see is mouse gestures, but that's simply not possible without all the XUL/XBL baggage which we don't want.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2002, 07:59 AM

Even if it rocked, you'd then be helping MS make their proprietary web stuff "standard".

(which is bad)
~BS

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2002, 08:08 AM

So when is this fabled long overdue browser update supposed to happen?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2002, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:

Yeh, shame about the fact that it is as slow as a dead parrot and the spinning beachballs. I do use it for checking my sites though, make sure they look ok.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
The one thing I'd like to see is mouse gestures, but that's simply not possible without all the XUL/XBL baggage which we don't want. [/B]
go to www.bitart.com and download Cocoa Gestures, then you can have gestures in ANY cocoa based app. I have it and it works very well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules