Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Did it and proud!

Did it and proud!
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2004, 06:01 AM

I finally registered Fruit Menu and Shape Shifter.

The cool thing is that because I ordered both at the same time, I got a discount of two bucks!

R

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2004, 12:14 PM

I don't get it... why are you so proud? Have you been pirating the software for a long time and just finally decided to go legit?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2004, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I just registered Shapeshifter after my trial expired and I feel so used.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 01:25 PM

Now that's what I like to hear. Supporting shareware is always good.
click one

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 03:08 PM

Same here. Normally I would have waited til SS lived up to everything its supposed to be but dammit, when AquaExtreme was updated a few days ago, I couldn't resist.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
I don't get it... why are you so proud? Have you been pirating the software for a long time and just finally decided to go legit?
I must admit, you are quite an asshole.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
How's that? Looked like a question.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 10:31 PM

you mean he's an asshole cuz he wants people to pay for shareware? i don't really get it. I don't think paying for something that isn't free is something to be proud of ... if SS were donationware, maybe ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2004, 05:38 PM

Oh no, Pirating = bad.
I used up my demo days pretty fast, and now that I am registered (after waiting to get the right funding for like 3 weeks) I feel really stoked about having registered both of the haxies I fore-mentioned.

I feel proud because:
1. This is the first bit of shareware I have ever registered.
2. I get to support these guys and their awesome work.

I must say that it is sad that you would automatically brand someone with the eye patch. Admittedly, like most people I have had my days of hookhandedness.
With software as cool as Unsanity's, and relatively inexpensive price tag, It is lame to pirate something like this. Besides, I hear it is nearly impossible to pirate their software.

Great job Unsanity! Keep up the good work. I look forward to any new stuff

R

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 06:09 PM

Uhhhh, OK. Well, I can avoid asking a simple question anytime I want, but you're stuck with that lousy personality/attitude forever. Go back to lurking if that's all you have to say.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
I feel proud because:
1. This is the first bit of shareware I have ever registered.
2. I get to support these guys and their awesome work.

I must say that it is sad that you would automatically brand someone with the eye patch.
Well, I asked the question because feeling "proud" because you DIDN'T steal something isn't really something you should feel proud about. Now if you legally purchased the software, and then sent them a few more $'s just for the hell of it, then maybe you should feel proud.

And FWIW, I never branded you as a software pirate, I just asked why you felt "proud."

Now, on that note, if you DID pirate the software for a long time, and for whatever reason decided to go legit and start paying for software you already had... well, then that would certainly be a reason to feel proud.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 06:39 PM

1. pirating is not only bad its illeagal
2. people do it anyway, even if the ware is only 10$
3. who cares

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2004, 09:46 PM

Well, I asked the question because feeling "proud" because you DIDN'T steal something isn't really something you should feel proud about. Now if you legally purchased the software, and then sent them a few more $'s just for the hell of it, then maybe you should feel proud.

And FWIW, I never branded you as a software pirate, I just asked why you felt "proud."

Now, on that note, if you DID pirate the software for a long time, and for whatever reason decided to go legit and start paying for software you already had... well, then that would certainly be a reason to feel proud.
Actually, I feel proud because this is my first time supporting the shareware industry.

As for you deciding what I get to be proud about, well, you can just take that and throw it off a cliff. If anyone shouldn't be doing something, it is YOU telling me when I should feel proud buck-o.

R

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 11:06 PM

after waiting to get the right funding for like 3 weeks
I'm sorry, I'm a total ass, but it took you three weeks to save up 18 dollars? :O
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 11:17 PM

As for you deciding what I get to be proud about, well, you can just take that and throw it off a cliff. If anyone shouldn't be doing something, it is YOU telling me when I should feel proud buck-o.
Well, I certainly didn't mean to tell you what to do, but let me ask you something. Do you also feel proud when you pay for gas for your car? the power bill? The groceries?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 11:22 PM

Holy crap this is a silly thread....

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Holy crap this is a silly thread....
Unfortunately one of many ... stuff like this keep coming up over and over ... there's something very wrong with this community
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

COBRAHQ
Jan 5, 2004, 12:32 PM

Well, I certainly didn't mean to tell you what to do, but let me ask you something. Do you also feel proud when you pay for gas for your car? the power bill? The groceries?
I think the whole point is that when you purchase a shareware item of this type, you feel more like you're actually putting the money into the developers pocket... and that's a pretty good feeling. As opposed to paying for a piece of software that the developer will never even see a penny from.

For you to lessen his attitude about it is insulting I think... and especially for you to compare purchasing gasoline from a megacorp, paying your electrical bill, or buying gm foods from your local grocery store who insists it's all organic... let him enjoy his personal choice. @_@

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by COBRAHQ:
I think the whole point is that when you purchase a shareware item of this type, you feel more like you're actually putting the money into the developers pocket... and that's a pretty good feeling. As opposed to paying for a piece of software that the developer will never even see a penny from.

For you to lessen his attitude about it is insulting I think... and especially for you to compare purchasing gasoline from a megacorp, paying your electrical bill, or buying gm foods from your local grocery store who insists it's all organic... let him enjoy his personal choice. @_@

Exactly!

As for the 18 bucks... When you get a family, you might find as I do during these hard economic times to spend any money on something other than your family.
So, yes, It took me some time to get the cash at the right time for the small purchase.

As for the silliness of this thread... Yeah, you are right. I just couldn't hold tight on a few of the responses that I received from this thread.
I was simply trying to encourage other people to support a great group of people putting out great software.

Oh, wait! As for the idiotic gasoline comment.
YOU BET! When I buy gas, I try to buy it from a company that makes efforts to be clean as possible, and that has few oil spills. You won't see me in line at the pump over at Exon, for example.

Please moderators... Kill this useless, if not annoying thread!

I am sorry I even said anything... sheesh.

R

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 05:07 PM

Well, we're a small enough organization that individual registrations do most definitely make a difference. I most definitely appreciate that you registered!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules