Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1gig or 512meg Ram, need some opinions.

1gig or 512meg Ram, need some opinions.
ChadC
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 05:14 AM

Just picked up a new 1gig iBook. I use it for some 3d modeling and rendering with Blender3d and a lot of PS and Illustrator work. With the 256 its nice and snappy. I am extremely happy with the base system and must say it has exceeded my expectations. But off of that, I am going to buy some Ram. I originally planned on the 512 chip b/c i though that was the most. Well now I see I can through a gig in there. Is there anyway who has used both and can give me some comparisons? If not can you guys out there send some benchmarks my way so I can compare? Money is not the option in this, it is more performance. If I cant spend 4 times the amount and get double the performance i'll be happy. If not, then I won't do it.
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Forte
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 07:43 PM

The way I see it, more RAM is always better. ^^;

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 06:57 AM

I would normally say that anything above about 640MB you will not notice. But from the kinds of apps you use and because you're looking for all-out performance I would say it will make a difference. Looking at prices from Crucial, 512MB is $138 and 1GB is $378. You talk about spending 4x the amount and getting 2x performance. You will not double your performance with the 1GB stick, but large PS files will be easier to work with because there will be less paging to hard disk. (is that the correct term?)

If you're looking for all-round snappiness I would also consider upgrading the hard drive to a 5400 or 7200rpm disk, although with 3D and PS I think the amount of RAM is more important. Plus this will void the warranty unless you pay for an apple authorised person to do it.

As you're looking to squeeze as much out of this iBook as you can, and you say money is not a problem, I would say go with the 1GB.

It's a shame the iBooks don't have 2 upgradable slots so we can all have 1GB RAM without paying $$$ for it. But then you'd be asking whether or not you should go for 2GB, right?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 11:49 AM

Either get a one gig stick, or go with the 512MB and an upgrade on your HD for a faster one, that's what I would do. I had 768MB in my 12" PB and for what it cost it handled illustrator, photoshop, and other graphic apps very well, now that I have 1.25GB RAM it's even better in the fact that I could leave all my apps open without worrying bout choking the RAM.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ChadC  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 03:00 PM

Thanx for the comments all! I just ordered the 1gig stick from 18004memory.com for $275.

I'll keep you updated on how well it works!
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 03:52 PM

Whereas 256 is a bare minimum, 500 is comfortable and 1000 is really comfortable. Faster Macs (G5s) don't suffer as much with less memory because of their sheer speed, but older Macs will definitely see a speed boost. It is especially important to have more RAM if you plan to use multiple logins.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Abit667
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2004, 02:08 AM

If you're saying the 256 is snappy in there you need to re-adjust your idea of snappy. I'd go with the 512 as it will provide a very nice speed increase for the money. The difference from 768 to 1.25gig isn't as noticeable and the 768 will be the same in most cases. Definatly doesn't justify the huge jump in price between a 512mb module and 1gig one.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2004, 10:31 AM

When my wife's iBook G4 arrived we thought it was nice and "snappy." It was our introduction to OS X, and we thought 128MB worked well. Then...we found a really good deal on a 512MB stick of RAM. The rest, as they say, is history. More is definitely much better. 640MB is very nice in a G4, but I'm sure 1GB would be even better.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

grand mufti
Oct 13, 2004, 02:06 PM

i got my ibook 933 last feb. i think ( around that time ) and i found the 256 mem was ok but not great for photoshop and other alike apps so after a few months i looked for some ram and found this...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-122&depa=0

newegg got it to me in like 2 days and install was easy and worked great. now my ibook is super fast. i dont see a need for more the 640 but.. a gig would be nice if you got the funds.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 09:16 PM

I have an 800 Mhz G4 12" ibook. I maxed it out (at the time with a 512 chip) then after about 6 months, found that the 1 gig chips would work in it. Overall, I find it to be a great upgrade. It's not something that I notice frequently, but I would defintely be able to tell if I went back down to a 512 chip. There is a program called "Do I need more memory" (www.hillmanminx.com) that told me that I was constantly bumping up against the Ram threshold in my machine with the 512. I hardly ever get that message anymore.

I bought my 1 gig chip from 1800memory.com. It was significantly cheaper than crucial & it works flawlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules