Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 4G 20gig iPod freezing?

4G 20gig iPod freezing?
ChadC
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 02:07 PM

My girlfriend was listening to her iPod today and midway through a song it just froze. She had it on hold and now the screen is displaying that the song is playing, even though it is frozen. None of the buttons do anything it just stays in that state. She's got about 400 songs on it and has it since July or August. She uses it just about everyday and charges it after every use. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

mysteriousal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 04:41 PM

my 3rd gen 15GB does this a lot.

Sometimes it freezes completely with the HD spinning, and sometimes it freezes for a while, then skips through 10 or so tracks!

You just have to live with it Use the 'vulcan death grip' (holding down menu and play/pause for a few seconds) It should reset.

I find taht mine happens most after 5mins or so of brisk walking.... Not sure if this helps....

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by mysteriousal:
my 3rd gen 15GB does this a lot.

Sometimes it freezes completely with the HD spinning, and sometimes it freezes for a while, then skips through 10 or so tracks!
Same here, 3G 20GB. Sometimes it freezes and has to be reset. Rarely it will skip forward about 2 songs.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2004, 06:18 PM

i was just out for a walk and this happened to my 4G 20gb - still on the same song as it was about 10 minutes ago, i can't reset it - i had it on locked. i can hear it spinning still on the inside???

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
i was just out for a walk and this happened to my 4G 20gb - still on the same song as it was about 10 minutes ago, i can't reset it - i had it on locked. i can hear it spinning still on the inside???
found a different way to reset it besides holding menu & play - holding down menu and the center button force quits the ipod - now i will just have to see if this happens again - i hope not

ChadC  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 12:24 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the quick replies. She was on her way to work(walking briskly) when it happened. She was at work for about 2 hours and when she got off it was still frozen. When she got back to her apartment she plugged it in to her computer and it connected and reset itself. It's been working fine since then.

My 3G 40 gig does the pause and skip forward thing as well. It also seems to happy when I am walking briskly. Wonder why this happens? I am sure somebody out there know some more about it.
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules